Bolting the transmission to the engine

Canuck

My rebuilt transmission is back and the engine will be a little while yet (350 engine and TH350 trans). Is there anything I need to know about putting the engine and trans together? Any specific lubrication? Recommend getting new bolts or just clean up the old ones? Any other tips? I am doing this out of the car and then putting them in the car as all one unit. Thanks 🙂

New hardware is up to you. The factory stuff cleaned up is just fine though. 

Just make sure the converter is all the way into the transmission before mating the two. 

Everything else is personal preference. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

New hardware is up to you. The factory stuff cleaned up is just fine though. 

Just make sure the converter is all the way into the transmission before mating the two. 

Everything else is personal preference. 

Do I not bolt the converter to the engine first then mate them together?

If I remember correctly, at least on mine, the converter goes in the trans. And when placing in the trans its like 3 clicks to get it set properly. Also don't forget to put some fluid in the converter before instal 

• Like 1

Nooooo!

Install a qt of trans fluid into the converter if new. Then install it onto the transmission. Usually 3 clicks, clunks does it. This is while spinning the converter to line up the splines.  You are mating the converter onto the shafts that stick out of the transmission and also engaging the pump in the transmission.            Then mate it to the engine, the trans, that is. If done correctly, after the trans is installed you should be able to turn the converter by hand with no interference. You may actually have to pull/gently pry the converter towards the flywheel to be able to install the converter bolts.  

• Like 5

If you find yourself trying to draw the transmission to the engine with the bolts...STOP. the converter may not be fully seated in the transmission. 

Like Tom said, you'll probably have to pull the converter back out just a bit to mate to the flex plate.

• Like 3

Good rule of thumb is if you can't fit your fingers between the converter and the trans it should be all the way in. But definitely yes put converter on the tranny first before bolting to motor like Tom said if the original bolts are good use them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Good rule of thumb is if you can't fit your fingers between the converter and the trans it should be all the way in. But definitely yes put converter on the tranny first before bolting to motor like Tom said if the original bolts are good use them.

I agree for a stockish stall converter but a say 9" converter is small compared to stock and depending on the size of your hand, some can fit a fist between the converter and the transmission pump. 

PXL_20230715_153532303.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Thanks for helping out a rookie. Great info as always. Does the shaft need any lubrication?

The shaft itself, no. A thin coat of transmission fluid or white grease on the hub of the converter where it rides on the seal wouldn't hurt.

The only time you could coat the shaft is if it's a lockup style trans with an o-ring on the top of the shaft. And yes, th350 could have a lock up converter . A th200 also even though they are not 4speed automatic like a 200r4 or 700r4. Usually the early 80's th350s and th200s can be lock up.  Usually identified by a 4 prong connector on the driver's side. 

• Like 4

The difference between the "lock up" torque and a standard converter is that the engine side of a lock up appears flatter where the standard is symetrical (both sides of the shell/housing.) look the same. 

When I swapped out my th350, a TCI product, It had a "lock up" type converter. I'm not sure if they just used the housing, of if it was the real thing. You'd have to check with whoever you had rebuild it.

That converter mistake is a common one,  years back I bought a 67 Pontiac convertible with a seized engine, guy said it was running before he installed it. Not sure how he didn't break the trans pump, backed off the trans, spun the converter,  tighted everything up and fired up the engine. Wish they were all that easy. 

46 minutes ago, Grant MacPherson said:

That converter mistake is a common one, .......Wish they were all that easy. 

I let an owner do some work on his own car when I was doing a frame off on his Cutlass convertible. I came into the shop to see him hunched over in the chair, head in his hands, rocking back and forth...

Seems he tried to bolt the trans to the engine himself, but proceeded to break a chunk off of the trans case in the process of drawing it together with the bolts. Oops. He was a mechanical engineer too...

Anyways, I quickly determined the tq converter wasn't in all the way (captain obvious here) and was able to TIG weld the case back together for him. Luckily, he didn't damage the internals and it worked fine after.

Looking back, he was the same guy that was having a difficult time putting the blow gun on the air hose quick-connect. Kept saying the fitting was bad. I walked over, looked at it, flipped the blow gun around and proceeded to insert it into the fitting immediately. Wish I had a picture of the look on his face. Engineers......🤣

• Haha 5