Spark Plugs

Rob Peters

What plugs are you using in your 70 Monte, 350, original ignition components.  I know I will get many different responses but asking anyway.  

rob

• 3 weeks later...

I really thought I would get more responses on my original question but did not.  

I had always used the R45 plugs in my Monte 350 with standard original points and condenser.  I had told Patsy I wanted a new set of AC Delco plugs for my Monte for Christmas.  She went to Oreilly's and they sold her AC Delco Rapidfire 7 plugs.  Has anyone used these instead of the AC Delco R45 or R45S plugs?  I know these Rapidfire 7 plugs are more expensive but are they compatible and better?  Recommendations????

rob

Hi Rob,

When I first got Montelishi she had a set of Rapidfire #2's in aluminum heads. 

I'm not sure how long they had been there, but they were pretty fouled and you could smell the unburnt gas at the tailpipes. Could have just been the carb settings, but they seemed rated a little hot for cruising and I did notice a temp. drop when sitting at the lights after I switched them out. Went with NGKs, mostly because they're shorter and give better clearance on the headers. 

I have used the rapid fire plugs. They are supposed to be a step up from stock and  between platinum plugs I believe. I have used them on 350s and LS engines. They have worked well for me. 

• Thank You! 1

I usually use r45ts in big Red but I had a set of r44s "in stock" that I installed for Carlisle and will be changing back to the slightly hotter r45ts or maybe the rapid fire. 

48 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

I usually use r45ts in big Red but I had a set of r44s "in stock" that I installed for Carlisle and will be changing back to the slightly hotter r45ts or maybe the rapid fire. 

I thought the r45ts had the tapered seat and the r44s were flat…. 

30 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Lol don't remember but most 70s heads, especially big blocks can use either. 

LOL ?    ,,    Not meant to be humorous, but I won't be putting TS plugs in my 041 heads…  I'm using the r43s plugs in mine ...Thank you for the update.  In all fairness to those who may not know, find out for yourself before you put a tapered plug in a flat topped hole… 

Ed C. 

Screenshot2023-12-29at2_54_00PM.thumb.png.45dd995180f52d2ba07ba68aee0d5c4b.png

On 12/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, Rob Peters said:

What plugs are you using in your 70 Monte, 350, original ignition components.  I know I will get many different responses but asking anyway.  

rob

Rob, I've had good luck with the r43s and tend to use the cooler plugs in my Monte. I'm sure some would disagree, but the added advantage of the $7.00 plugs ,,,,, unless you're racing or have an exotic distributor,,, doesn't make sense to me.

Any of the major brands work fine for me ,but I tend to go with ACdelco. 

I went to a cooler plug because my engine compression is +- 2 lbs at 170 on all 8 …..

The cooler plugs gave me more levity with setting my fuel/air mixture and timing for regular pump gas… I'm running an HEI distributor with Edlebrock carb and intake. When mine was stock I used the r45s plugs gapped at 040. or a loose 035. 

Hope this helps. 

Ed  C

I havew uaed 

I have used R45TS in mine 72 SB 350 but they have been fouling badly the last year or two. Cylinders 2 and 7 have been especially bad. I put in some NGK UR4 6630’s late this past summer and they are fouling but not nearly as bad as the AC's. I pulled out the plug I could get to easily and all the AC's were fouled slightly but the NGK look really good so I will stick with the NGK's because now my O2 sensor for the Holley sniper is not getting fouled.

I found this in my basement tool box, and was used in my 71 350 4bbl.

(TS is short for tapered seat)R44TSSparkPlug.thumb.JPG.4d8d9eeb14e7e40004eb3b85c33da46b.JPG

Both of my 70's used the flat washer spark plugs ….

Sounds like they may have made some changes in the later models. 

When I was in the AF , Back in the 1970's,,, I recall we lost an $80,000 Buick Start Cart for the SR71 because it ate a spark plug washer from a recently changed set of spark plugs.  Yep, wrong plugs. … 

24 minutes ago, stangeba said:

I found this in my basement tool box, and was used in my 71 350 4bbl.

(TS is short for tapered seat)R44TSSparkPlug.thumb.JPG.4d8d9eeb14e7e40004eb3b85c33da46b.JPG

I always wondered what the TS stood for. Woo hoo learneded something today

• Like 1