What Transmission Fluid

MC-71

Please post what kind of tranny fluid do you use? I would like a use Valvoline. But don’t which one. I have a TH 400.

I'm waiting...... Come on guys and gals,my last transmission, Mercron in my TH2004R, Ford ATF in my TH350. No problems with what the builder told me to use.

All our th400s use the old tried and true type F. 8 of them. Ask your transmission rebuilder what they recommend. 

• Like 2

It's one of those questions that will typically have 8 different answers, if you ask 8 separate people.

GM says that the Dexron VI is backward compatible with the 'recommended' Dex III for a T-400.. Some people swear by the Valvoline Max Life fluid (Dex VI type), others swear by the Ford Type F (B&M used to recommend it with their shift kits), etc.

• Like 3

I've heard that the f type is basically the same formula as the b&m trick shift just a different color. But it's not compatible with dextron so if your using it, the torque converter has to be completely emptied and cleaned out so be careful. 

• Like 5

I contacted Valvoline and they recommended  Maxlife ATF or Dex/Merc ATF. So I ordered the Dex/Merc. Part number 773636 for a gal.

Part number 798153 for a qt. This is a fluid change and not a rebuild. My Monte has not run in a good 10 years. Keeping my fingers crossed🤞

Edited by MC-71
  • Like 2

Walmart usually has pretty good prices on fluids, especially if getting it in the 4 or 5 quart jugs.

• Like 1

Been using Valvoline ATF since the Dexron days before Dexron 2. Now it’s Dex/Merc. Never had any issues, it’s always worked for me. Use their motor oil also.