Upper rear trim for 71 SS

Saw this on Facebook. It has the notched out area to fit on the upper portion of the rear panel. Rare piece.

IMG_2068.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Naperville, Il, close to Glen I think.

Yes it is. And he needs that to help make his car look real. Or at least closer to real. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, jft69z said:

Naperville, Il, close to Glen I think.

Very close if anyone needs me to check it out in person or grab it.  Got a high school buddy that lives in Naperville.  Could use it as an excuse to have beers with him.

7 hours ago, Dtret said:

Yes it is. And he needs that to help make his car look real. Or at least closer to real. 😝

I might pick it up just to use it to whip you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Glen said:

Very close if anyone needs me to check it out in person or grab it.  Got a high school buddy that lives in Naperville.  Could use it as an excuse to have beers with him.

I might pick it up just to use it to whip you. 

O baby baby. lol. Careful I might like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe not as rare as I thought. It seems in 71 the upper and lower all had that notch so it can fit on the top. The 1970 only had that small V cut in the centre.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

O baby baby. lol. Careful I might like it. 

That settles it, then… I’m gonna give him over his asking price. 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Glen said:

That settles it, then… I’m gonna give him over his asking price. 

That could be a new event for the evening parking lot festivities. Sort of like "Pin the tail on the Dennis"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That could be a new event for the evening parking lot festivities. Sort of like "Pin the tail on the Dennis"

I don’t think you’ll want to do that. Might have a natural gas leak. That won’t be good for anyone. I think I’d rather have the beating. At least it’s an NOS part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, jft69z said:

And upon further review, I know how bad you wanted to type “donkey”. lol. 😂 another thread high jacked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dtret said:

And upon further review, I know how bad you wanted to type “donkey”. lol. 😂 another thread high jacked. 

No, No, No, never entered my mind....

:hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To maybe get this post back on track...

If I remember correctly; back in the mid eighty's when I was restoring my silver 71 SS.  The upper moulding was listed as a different part number but discontinued .  Actually all the SS only items were. Hockey strips, that moulding and emblems. I think that is upper only moulding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mon-tss said:

To maybe get this post back on track...

If I remember correctly; back in the mid eighty's when I was restoring my silver 71 SS.  The upper moulding was listed as a different part number but discontinued .  Actually all the SS only items were. Hockey strips, that moulding and emblems. I think that is upper only moulding.

My initial thought was that only the upper one had the wide notch and the bottom would be the same as the 70 trim with the little V in the centre. I have now seen evidence of the 71s having the trim with the wide notch for the lower piece.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

Why would the bottom need notched? it's flat.  All that I have removed from the bottom are not notched.

That’s what Aaron was originally stating. But at some point gm said “ why make two different when one will work on both.”  The bottom one shouldn’t be straight, it has the same “v” shape as the top. 

• Like 2

They all have the V.  Originally it was only on the bottom in 70 with no need for a notch. But  when it was added to the upper on 71 SS the bulge in the panel was close so they notched it a bit. Every 70 and 71 monte used the same lower moulding but only  1919 upper mouldiing were used, It makes  sense to continue making the lower ones but not the upper.  But i'm probably wrong as usual.

I am no expert, but I believe only the 70 model year has the v notch. 71 lowers had the bigger cut out, the same as the top on the 71 SS. I have two 71 that have never been restored nor painted, one with 29,000 original miles. They both have the bigger cut out on the bottom trim piece.  

• Like 2