72 Monte

All,

I’ve had my 72 for 2 years, I’ve spent almost 8K on various items and now I come out to my car leaking some kind of fluid from the center along with leaks towards the front…every time I take it to a mechanic, miraculously it doesn’t leak but when I pull in the garage leaking everywhere. I’m near Columbia SC if anyone has a solid mechanic. At this point, I’m not going to be able to keep the car if I cannot get it fixed. Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard 

Richard, can you be a little more detailed? 

Is the fluid where the rear end is? Transmission? Engine? What color is it? Does it only happen when the car has sat for a few days? 

Usually, my fluid leaks only occur a few hours after I’m done driving…the fluid towards the from is reddish, the middle is clear/yellow. Trying to upload photos but there all too large

6 minutes ago, MrDavie said:

Trying to upload photos but there all too large

IMG_3176.mov

It's because you're in the non-dues paying member group.

I'll change a couple settings temporarily so you can try to load some more pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 2

Red is transmission fluid, no doubt there.

The middle? Is it possibly condensation leaking out the muffler or pipes somewhere? Is it a water based fluid, or more viscous like brake fluid?

• Like 3

The reddish fluid is transmission. There’s a few places it could be leaking (speedo cable, pan, shifter linkage). A good shop should be able to find it.

The other fluid looks like antifreeze. It could be the heater hose fitting to the heater core. If that leaks it can run down the passenger side of the firewall and drip off of the floor pan. Are you getting any coolant leaking inside the car on the passenger side of the firewall. Check the firewall under the dash area where the carpet stops and the rubber/insulation is on the firewall. Is that wet?

• Like 5

It’s definitely water based but does have a little slickness to it…no real smell…looks like vegetable oil but no where near as sticky

One other thing. I saw your vid on FB. Are you running the A/C? I saw a puddle near the front passenger side, could it be condensation coming from the HVACvbox, is it clear?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrDavie said:

It’s definitely water based but does have a little slickness to it…no real smell…looks like vegetable oil but no where near as sticky

Check your brake master cylinder level, see if it's full. Or coolant, like Aaron has suggested. Check your radiator level, when it's cool, of course.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jft69z said:

Check your brake master cylinder level, see if it's full. Or coolant, like Aaron has suggested. Check your radiator level, when it's cool, of course.

and when you check the levels of the brake fluid, coolant, and even the engine oil, use your fingers to touch each fluid so you can compare the feel against what is on the garage floor. All three fluids feel slightly different when rolled between the fingers. You may even go as far as to perform what can only be described as a sniff check because anti freeze has an odor while brake fluid and engine oil have an entirely different odor. 

Its almost not worth saying but be sure to thoroughly wash your hands afterwards. 

• Like 2

Mine was a pesky speedometer o ring and seal around the shifter arm on the transmission. Trans pan bolts will loosen up from time to time. Just snug them every time. Things heat up and leak afterwards as you well know. From what I've seen looks like a nice ride. You should consider becoming a member. " Best Damn money I ever spent ". I've been here awhile..... It's the madness that keeps me coming back !!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 1

Could the a/f be coming from a leaky heater core ? 

A quick pressure test on the cooling system should show something. 

As for the trans fluid, which seems to be a lot, does it originate at the inspection pan ?

If so, Blake350's nailed it's cause. ;)

28 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

As for the trans fluid, which seems to be a lot, does it originate at the inspection pan ?

If so, Blake350's nailed it's cause. ;)

I had to replace the seal on the shaft for the shifter and that cured my leak. Then another leak showed up and it was the sensor for the Dakota Digital sending unit. No tranny leaks now 

On my 71 Monte, I've had slight leakage under my trans area for some time now but over LAST winter it got worse. Mine looks like it's from the left (drivers) side of the THM350 either the speedo or shifter area. Last spring I added some trans fluid drove it about 1,000 miles over the summer and the problem was back to a very slight leakage on the cardboard I always keep under the car. When spring comes, I'll check it out again. I'm sure it repaired itself! 😆

• Like 2