Mess up value of 71SS if i?

robee

As long as you don't make changes that are not reversible, value

shouldn't be an issue. Keep any original stuff you pull off the car.

Like was said, you are the one driving and flipping the bill.

There is a requirement of posting pics however. smile

have a 70 parts car with alot of rare options.Like turnsignals on top of fenders

I have never seen those before.

Bill

I belive he is talking about vigilite or whatever the fiber optic light option is called. I wouldnt do anything permanent you could make decent money on some of those options. How bad is the parts car you could always sell it to fund the SS.

Originally Posted By: robee
have a 70 parts car with alot of rare options.Like turnsignals on top of fenders

They're the small chrome housings that are mounted about 6" back from the headlights (on top of the fenders), and were part of the RPO U46 Light Monitoring System. The system was optional on many Chevrolet models for '68, '69 and '70, and only 5,755 Chevelles and Monte Carlos combined had them in '70 - according to my Chevrolet SS Muscle Car Red Book. After that it was discontinued, so the option was only correct on a Monte Carlo for '70.

Fiber-optics connect to the back of the headlight and turn signal/parking lights and run up to the small fender-mounted housings. The little round lamp indicators glow when the actual headlights or turn indicators are on. There is a white and a green lamp indicator, each about 1/4" in diameter, on the back of each housing, and you can see them glow when you're inside the car. On mine, the white ones glow constantly when the headlights are on, so if I've got the lights on and I don't see the glow, I know the headlight isn't working. I believe the green ones should flash with the turn indicators, but I've never seen them do anything. I've heard that the fiber-optic lines could have gotten dirty so it's possible they're not transmitting the light like they should. Also as part of the package, there was a small, black plastic housing that mounted on top of the rear package tray that operated in a similar fashion for the rear lights, and you could see them glow in the reflection of your inside rear-view mirror. There's a red indicator for each tail light (left and right), and a white center indicator for the license plate light.

So, whenever you hear someone mention "fiber-optic" in an article or ad for a '68-'70 Chevy, that's what they're referring to. I've seen a couple of feature cars in magazines with them; a '69 Camaro and a '70 Chevelle. It was a pretty cool system that originally cost $26.35 as an option, but I've heard that they can bring some pretty big bucks at swap meets and on E-bay these days.

smile

Dave

Originally Posted By: robee

Bill

Hey Bill......

I believe you saw it on Rob Peters car at the Eastern meet but didn't realize it....

2948620003_medium.jpg

Hey Bill......

I believe you saw it on Rob Peters car at the Eastern meet but didn't realize it....

Your right, his car was my first stop to get my badge and fgmcc stuff and I never noticed them...I would blame it on the beer but I didn't have one yet at that time... lol

Bill

Actually adding some options even though a car didn't come that way can actually help its value especially when it comes to Buckets/Console, gauge package, and power options.

The Fiber Optic option would sure get a lot of looks on a 71 SS. That would be cool, but the right person may would pay good money for that system for a 70 model. It would be very unique though.

But the thing is on a car build it the way YOU want it!

Just a few notes.

My car has a fully functional Fiber Optic Light Monitoring System. Dave was right about it being a 70 option only and was not offered on the 71/72.

On mine, for the front, the Green ones are for the headlights and the clear/white ones are for the turn signals. Since the turn signal bulbs are amber, the white/clear ones glow amber when they are on.

I am not sure if the plug that goes into the headlight is a special plug or not but the fiber optic cable for the headlights plugs directly into the middle of the wiring plug which connects to the headlight bulb. On the back of each bulb there is a little tit that sticks out from the bulb lamp moulding and this comes in contact with that little tit.

For all of the other light fixtures, the front turn signal, license plate lamp and the rear lamps the housing are all special housing with a hole in them where the fiber optic, surrounded by a rubber grommet plugs in, sealing the hole.

rob

I've restored a few cars (lol) and found that you can add options as long as they were an option for that year car. I have a real 1971 SS454, numbers matching all the way back. I've added power windows and locks as well as a gauge cluster. My engine has been "worked" but nothing that can't go back. I built the cowl hood for it but saved the original. So just save all the parts you swap. My last restoration was a 1971 402 4 speed car (one of 80 made). I added power windows, power locks and a tilt wheel. It was all done like the factory would have and when I sold that car I got all the money for it.....If your interested in knowing...PM me.... It was also featured in Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine August 2006.

Steve

• 2 years later...

My Brother recently purchased 70 MC and is wondering if someone can help Decode Tag. Also Build Sheet has 48 A which is Forest Green with White Top?

70-13587BL12680

TR780 45 G

11A 231650 040340

Thanks

Hi Robert! Where you been? You took a long break. I hope life has gotten better for you. I'll take shot at the cowl tag decode.

70 138570L shows the car was built at the LA plant.

TR780=dark green prima cloth bench seat interior

45=green mist

G=dark green top

helpful site

Moderators, can we get the Monte Carlo info that the chevellestuff site has added to this one?

Dan

Sometimes you will find at the shows guy are always trying to figure out weather your car is a real SS or not. The build sheet helps of course, but when you start seeing options on a car that dont have it on the build sheet the second guessing starts on weather the car is even a reall SS or not. Yes some SS come come loaded but I had a 70 Chevelle SS that was plain jane and the build sheet to show it but I loaded it up with fiber optics and PW,PDL,Ptrunk,Tilt,Cruise,buckets,and the whole nine yards and had an appraiser say it lessoned the value as the paperwork showed otherwise. Just a note as to what happened to me thats all...If your 71 SS doesnt have a build sheet...Have at it...

PS...If you need the exact location on the Fiber optics let me know as I have a GM Book that shows both locations in 1970 on the Monte and Chevelle in all the measurements and pictures.....Darren.

Thanks guys, this was for my little brother he just recently bought him a 1970 Monte Carlo a couple of weeks ago and was puzzled between the Build Sheet and Cowl Tag info. everything is correct on build sheet except paint codes are different, it has on the build sheet 48 A which is Forest Geen with White Top.

I bought my 70 SS from the original owner, my Uncle John. It's a Flint car so as many have said, build sheets aren't always found. I have the POP, IBM card that refers to shipping from Mich. to Ohio, and tons of other docs.. I've had the car since 2006. I wanted it to be a purely 'original' car but 3 things clash with that goal.

1. The engine failed. During the rebuild, really tough decisions had to be made. Cam, lifters, oil pump, alternator, pistons, etc. could either be 'stock' or 'updated'. In the end, I had to decide what I wanted out of this car. Either a resale value or dependability for a summer fun driver. I chose the second. So... visually you can see a Holley, MSD HEI, and open element breather, but the internal parts were also updated. The biggest difference is that I now venture more than 25 miles from home and I'm even driving it to Carlisle this year for the Eastern Meet (250 round trip).

2. It came stock with an AM radio. The only station that comes in clear was an all news station. I had to have some tunes so I put a Kenwood head unit and mounted it under the dash. The ashtray won't open but I figured if I took it out, 4 small holes on the bottom of the dash wouldn't be visible. As for speakers, I flush mounted 6X9s on the package tray. Yes, I had to cut metal for the driver side but as for the package tray, I figure that is replaceable.

3. My uncle bought the car knowing what was coming along in the pipeline politically speaking. He used to say it wasn't 'Muskie-ized' with all that smog crap and would be one of the last years you could say that. He worked for a steel supplier for GM and picked options for 2 reasons. More HP and less $. No A/C (my wife hates that) and NO console!!!

The area between the buckets is huge. I've often toyed with the idea of replacing the column shift with a console. Looks alone would make me happy. So if I put a console in, it certainly wouldn't be to make the car more valuable, it would be to make me happy. I can't see selling the car unless financial times get a lot tougher. It might even have a positive effect on the value but that's not important. I've kept every part that's come off the car (working or not). I've decided I'll do everything I can to keep it as true to original but I've waited 36 years to get this car from out of my uncle's garage. I want to enjoy it and that means driving it.

Sorry for the long post. I think I'm just mentally trying to work up to getting a console!

Mike