new member S.MAUG looking for any year First Gen Convertible

After looking through the fabulous collection of member photos, both private and club gatherings.  To all I am humbled by your hard work.    If any member comes across a convertible in any condition and doesn't decide to collect it for themselves. "I wouldn't blame you".   PLEASE Forward to me for purchase.   I promise a good forever home. Am also always interested in any First Gen.  Thank you All.   

• Like 4

Hate to admit it but, give up my Harley for one.   Too old to drive it anymore anyway🙂

48 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Last I recall 2022 one sold at Mecum for 40K. Gonna guess a bit more in todays market 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/532668/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo-convertible-conversion/

I think it would be over $40k too for a quality conversion . Not many around and very expensive to build one.

• Like 2

Thanks Aaron.  I didn't expect to locate one. But I've had a life where the impossible dreams do come true. 

• Like 1

My buddies got a 71 he has in Tennessee asked if I wanted it. no motor or trans, not too rough.  he says rusted trunk.  told him yes I would. give3s pause as I wanted to build it like the black one with the skull grille I saw in the clubs pictures.  but could build as a convertible.  actually wouldn't be terribly difficult. As Chevelle convertible items are readily available. or make it permanent convertible.  plan to buy up all the First Gen Monte Carlo's I can find in a reasonable radius from my home in buffalo Illinois, upon returning.  Already know of 6 or7 but parts cars only they are,.  Cancer keeping me down for over a year has put a new focus upon my life.  First Gen.  All the way.  Going to sell my  50 Pontiac Silver Streak Hearse ,   60 3/4 ton 4x4 apache p/u, 76 1 ton pathfinder converted from the factory 4x4 van ,1 owner 66 chrysler 300 , 1 owner 58 buick super , 57 chevy 150 , 77 Cadillac DeVille w/26,000 mi.   77 Harley wide glide and my 78 and 80 CBX motorcycles.   you see my two 70 First Gen Gems are not for sale and become the first of a new Dream Collection I'm going to put a concerted amount of effort in.   Becoming a member of your club and seeing all of my fellow club members passions, has somehow changed my focus.  like a caterpillar turning a Beautifull Butterfly.  Thank you all, I owe it all to you !!!!!!!       whew, here it comes.

• Like 7

Gotta like that date. some great stuff happens on the third of October. my favorite month.!!!   fellow Illinoisan !!! too,    hello my friend and fellow club member.

welcome to a great car club ,have been a member for 22 years,also own a 1972 mc custom ,w code car i have owned my car for 44 years bought it from the original owner who also lives in plainfield, he ordered the car ,has 454 ,turbo 400 ,posi rear ,,he sold his 70 lt1 corvette to buy the monte 

• Like 1

I'd sell my LT 1 To buy that MC too,  If I had one.  Sounds like a fantastic Monte Carlo !.  Got my first one when I was 19. I call her sin city. 70 SS. needs a few things, but when I saw her. I was forever smitten. I believe I have a First Gen incurable disease. If they make a vaccine I'm not going to take it🙂!

i bought my monte when i was 17 ,toms  corvette was a 70 with 350 4 speed 350 hp, solid lifters ,he didnt like to adjust the lifters everytime he changed the oil,his corvette recently sold for 150k,he was starting a family,thats why i dont have power windows ,but he did check the custom option  on the order sheet,

• Like 1

I never liked the solid lifter adjustment hassle back in the day either, points, plugs and wires every year also. good old REAL TUNE UP!!!   But wouldn't change the knowledge of growing up and being a mechanic in what I'm called and calling the grey hair days 🙂

AND YEAH If I had only known the future there would be many cars not sold or traded or just plain run to the ground ie"alley banged"  !  in my barn.   🙁

Question.  i'm not familiar with "W CODE"  could someone educate me on this.  I promise i'll learn it and be proficient in First Gen Monte Carlo !!!!!!

24 minutes ago, S.Maug said:

Question.  i'm not familiar with "W CODE"  could someone educate me on this.  I promise i'll learn it and be proficient in First Gen Monte Carlo !!!!!!

Steve,

A 72 Monte that came from the factory with a 454 engine.  The 'W' is part of the VIN, as the engine designation code.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, S.Maug said:

Thank you Joe, so that is only for 72 First Gen model year.

Yes, for the 70-71 years, the only way to get a 454 was if the car was a 'SS454'.

As we know, there was no SS for 1972, only the 'Custom' model, though that could be had with any available engine/trans combination, including 454.

• Like 2

To add to what Joe said, in 1972 only 1268 Monte’s had the 454 engine. Out of the 1268 nobody knows how many of them had the Custom package (equivalent to the 70-71 SS package, plus a few other things ). So it’s a pretty rare car. Technically the rarest automatic Monte built. The lower numbers were part of the emission changes that were coming. But thankfully there are some in the group that have them. 

• Like 4

Love the "By the numbers" .  Had to explain to my wife the emissions statement.  Insurance companies also killed HP and performance for the auto industries

That’s why during the peak of the hp wars, the manufacturers were pretty conservative on the hp numbers to help a little on the insurance premiums.

• Like 1

And toned down badging, colors, striping  ect.  Glad to be old enough to see them brand new. I remember some gems.  

• Like 1

Any members here own one?

There was a guy in the North Detroit area who I believe made 2 or 3 prior to his passing. I did see his son, 2 or 3 years ago driving it at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I believe it was light blue. I will keep looking!

I have a picture from car show many years ago. It may have been Ohio.

Convertable Monte_2.jpg

Convertable Monte_1.jpg

• Like 2

THANK YOU BRUCE !!      All help is very greatly appreciated .    And i love the pictures.  You the man!