Shoulder Strap Question

amsterdam84

Ok this has bothered me for quite a while. I have shoulder straps and lap belts in my car. But you can only clip one or the other in at a time. Why is that? Am I missing a part?

Is it possible to get a picture of them both connected and snapped in?

From what I remember of what mine looks like, I dont think its going to hook to anything. I wonder if the previous owner replaced them from another different car.

I wonder if its a different year than mine. I just have extra catches for mine, there is a "female" end for each lap belt,shoulder belt,and the center belt for the front seat. My shoulder belt and lap belt have the same "male" end on them

Actually sounds a little confusing what you are saying...are you just trying to wear the shoulder belt mounted at the roof (with a male end) and the lap retractable belt mounted on the left side of the seat on the floor (with a male end) at the same time?

You should have two female belt ends to the right of your seat or if it's a bench to the right of you when sitting on the seat...if you do have a bench the second female end could be under the seat or could have been completely unbolted from the car and removed for some reason.

Bill

72 could be different from 70 as our el camino is the same way with its bench seat. the 70 chevelle was the same way as the monte. if you have bucket seats you should have a cup on the side of the console where the female ends go in them so they are out of the way.

My 71 bench seat with Deluxe belts has a "self locking" lap belt (with a small stainless buckle head) and a totally separate shoulder belt with a large stainless buckle head. The shoulder belt must be pulled tight (after it's buckled up) like older style lap belts.

Compared to what we have today, these belt's were very uncomfortable. I hate to admit it, but I do not use my shoulder belt. I really should get the new style combination belts like some of the members have. I wonder if it rides and rubs on your neck?

Bruce

the shoulder belts are used in my monte either. i have heard the story of a guy getting pulled and a ticket because the shoulder belt was not in used but his lap belt was. so maybe the deluxe belts are made like the picture and the standard uses the style my has?

There are several different sets of seatbelts depending on wheather you had the basic or 'deluxe' belts.. and what year car you had..

Yeah both the retractable belt on the floor beside the bench and the one on the roof are of the regular male connector. To use them both I would have to have 2 female buckles on the seat per side. I Think I only have 2, maybe 3 but im pretty sure I dont have 4.

Heres a pic of the female buckles I have right now. The male buckles are all exactly the same. Unless someone removed one from the passenger side.

Come to think of it I had originally thought the extra buckle in the center was for a person sitting there but I dont think theres an extra male buckle on the bench. I must be missing one then.

Large Picture

DSC00945.jpg

Yes, I have a belt assembly for a center passenger as well. Lot's of belts!

Bruce

The pictures I posted earlier in this thread are the standard (non-deluxe) belts. I had a '72 Custom with a bench seat and deluxe belts. They were the same type of design.

On my current car I did not reinstall the shoulder belts during the restoration. They are cumbersome to use and get caught in the door jamb/sill if you're not careful. I figure if they are not installed I have a chance of not getting a ticket!

i use my shoulder belt all the time..

the hastle of using it, far outweighs what will happen to you if you are in a wreck with only a lap belt...

and you are right, it does get caught in the door fairly easily.. but you just have to be careful with it when you take it off.. I just make sure i put it down in the right place when i take it off smile

as far as I understand michigan law, you shouldn't get a ticket for wearing only your lapbelt, but you are nuts if you do :P~ since the shoulder belts were optional in '72... just like cars that didn't have seat belts you don't have to have them...

Good advice. I grew up in the time of seat belts going completely unused, no helmet for riding your bike, etc... shocked

Considering the safety differences between our Montes and newer cars we are taking a risk everytime we drive them! Maybe I should reconsider installing the shoulder belts. confused

I was surprised at the difference in the belt systems between my 70 and 72.

1970:

My 1970 has 5 buckles on the front bench (black non-deluxe belts). You hook the male end into the female end and pull the strap tight. Same goes for the center position belt. The shoulder belts have the same male end as the lap belts and hooks into another buckle. All 5 buckles are the same. The deluxe chrome belts might be slightly different but I'm not sure.

1972:

My 72 (deluxe chrome belts) has only 3 buckles on the front seat. The belt (male end) is a retractible system with no strap to pull the belt tight. Once the lap belt is hooked in, the shoulder strap fits into a "keyhole" on the male end of the lap belt. The center position belt is the same as the 70.

Someone may have gotten tired of 5 buckles and removed two of them since they didn't use the shoulder straps. It's also possible the tuckedt them back and under the seat.

These are the one's that I have installed and am extremely pleased with them. If I am ever in an accident, I expect it to be money well spent. http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/Billy%20Page%20Three.htm

Here is some that are more economical but doubt if they are as good: http://www.julianos.com/retract_3point.html

Just to show what I do have. All the male buckles are the same and all the female couplers are the same. So I did have a male buckle in the bench so that explains the extra female coupler. But then where am I supposed to buckle the shoulder belt?

Full Size Pics

100_0805.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0807.jpg

You are missing 2 male buckles, one for driver and one for passenger. As long as no one is sitting in the middle you should be able to use that one for your shoulder belt. There should be 5 male buckles for the front bench seat, my bucket seat car has 4 male buckles.