New Rear disc conversion

Ian

OK I finally decided what kit to go with. I went with a kit from a guy that has been selling them on eBay for quite a while. If you want to order them and save a few buck, call Chad at 614-439-0057. I got the kit and the disc / disc proportioning valve for $427 including shipping. The box said Right Stuff Detailing on it, which from what I have read everyone says are good.

Now for the details...

I had to enlarge the center hole on the roter to get them to fit my aftermarket axles. The brake hose brackets were too tall for my taste, so I trimmed them down a little. They say to start with the 1/4" spacer between the caliper bracket and the housing and see how the caliper lines up, I ended up not needing it, so I had to fit them a couple times. One of the banjo bolts needed a little trimming (not sure if it was just the wrong one or if it was a little messed up). They do clear my 15" Ralley Wheels.

I still need to hook up the lines, emergency brake cables, and bleed them, so I will have to add to the post and update everyone on how they work later.

Here is what the auction picture looked like.

AFXRD01.jpg

Here is a shot of them from the back installed.

100_7644.jpg

Here is a shot from the front installed

100_7641.jpg

From the side / rear of the car

100_7640.jpg

Interesting Ian. Do you know if those are over the counter calipers? How do you get new pads etc? That price doesn't seem bad at all. I'll be curious to see if you can tell a big difference when driving.

Good pics too!

Ian;;

Thanks for sharing. The price sounds almost to good to be true. This may be a project for this winter. Hate to tie up the car in the summer. Of course when the Camaro gets here I can install the disc brakes and drive the Camaro. Thanks again for sharing.

Interesting Ian. Do you know if those are over the counter calipers? How do you get new pads etc? That price doesn't seem bad at all. I'll be curious to see if you can tell a big difference when driving.

Good pics too!

As far as I know they are stock Cadillac parts... The instructions did not say, but Chad told me that they are available over the counter.

Hey Ian not to hijack your post but I checked my rear disc this morning both of my calipers are on the front side (pointing to the front of the car). My e-brake cable loops around the axle and hooks back into the parking brake. As for my rubber line it does not have a bracket on it just the hard line. I noticed yours don't have a splash shield ssbc

You mean like this Allan rofl

100_7714.jpg

Rob yeah no splash shield, but the pads are larger on the GM calipers. I hope to have it on all 4 wheels either today or tomorrow. So I will see how they work smile

I stopped working around 10 last night... I could have kept going, but my back was starting to hurt frown Just a few loose ends and it should be done soon. I still need to finish the body work on the inner fender and spray the truck be coating on them...

I really like that kit Ian. Looks good, and just like everyone else said you can't beat that price! Does he offer cross drilled or slotted rotors?

Yep he can substitute the cross drilled and slotted for $79 extra.. That being said from what I have read on various sites unless you are racing you should not use them. The drilled ones have a tendency to crack under street use...

Yeah Allan that's what they say with the drilled and slotted rotors it lets the gases escape. The other day I saw a brake company talking about using their drilled and slotted rotor with their new disc pads.

What would be better having the caliper on the front side of the rotor(towards the front end) or having the calipers in the rear like Ian's.

Also Ian had me check my rubber hose coming from the caliper to the metal line. My kit came with a short rubber hose compare to the long rubber hose like his kit came with. Here are some pictures not as good as Ian's misc003.jpgmisc004.jpg here is my e-brake cable wrapping around the axle tube misc001.jpg

That's some good stuff there.

I didn't even know about the gas buildup problem. I thought the cross-drilling was done to give the rotor more surface area for better cooling. You would loose some surface for braking, but gain some for cooling.

The problem I still have is in the heat cycles they talk about. They generally say that bigger heavier rotors are better at managing heat. I didn't see anywhere in the article where they talked about cooling. I would think that a heavier rotor would take longer to heat up, but also be slower to cool down.

I suppose the idea is to have them so large that they never get hot enough for heat to be an issue.

Good job on the heads up info Allan. It looks I was totally wrong about the cross drilled and slotted rotors. I too always thought it was for friction and cooling purposes but it reads like it would be uneccesary under normal conditions. I'd still like a high performance disc upgrade but will definitely have to do some more research when the time comes. Thanks for clearing up some of the misconceptions I had.