rolling up window = irritating screetching noise

Kevin Wiles

took off the door panel, oiled it all over the rod, the tracks, the wheels, the gears, rolled it up and down oiling and oiling but to no avail, there is a very loud reverberating screeching sound, almost like fingernails on a chalkboard, but louder. What am I missing here? Just replace the whole mechanism?

Sounds like it could be all the fuzzy is gone off the guide in the middle. Mine did this and now I have scratches going up and down my drivers window about half way back from the front.

i will double check that but i dont think thats the issue because i believe i had the fuzzy little guides completely out at one point today, and it still made the noise

back off the pressure on the glass by adjusting the fuzzy things out so glass can rest inward .

it fixed mine

im assuming u replaced the seals and readjusted the glass

Well It was worth a try. The one I was thinking of holds the window against the outer weather strip. Sounds like you've already tried all I can think of. BTW love the comments under your sig... Can I trade it in too?

hey bob i tried that too, while i had the guides out, i tried rolling the window up and down with pressure toward the outside, pressure toward the inside, and inbetween with no difference in the grinding screetching noise. very odd huh?

i had the same problem and all i can say is keep adjusting it .

also just leaving the windows up with the doors closed will help break in the new seals and then you may have to readjust them again

the outer seal is pushing but will relax

good luck

Had the same problem with mine, after some adjusting in and out with the guides like Bob said, and the door panel being on helps out too,it did go away, From what I remember, I put less pressure outward on mine,and it went away.It was the rear guide that rubs on the glass. It is a horrific noise isnt it?? lol

I agree with slaman. I had the same problem and my stuff was worn completely off. I replaced it with the soft side of a self sticky velcro sheet then it was completely fixed.

ok ok ok i gotta admit i was wrong, you guys were right. the problem was the guides had all the fuzzy worn off. once i peeled the old worn fuzzy off, and replaced it with the soft side of velcro, it's going up and down nice and quiet THANKS!!

I never thought of using the soft side of velcro... I'll have to remember that when I get closer to getting it back together. Thanks

A couple years ago, I peeled the fuzzy part off and turned it end for end so the lower, unused part was at the top and reglued it. That horrible sound vanished. smile

at leo's we just find another pair from the thousands he has in a basket upstairs :P~

i saw this too late.. but yeah that screeching is from too much pressure usually. I went 'round and 'round with Jimmy's car to get it to stop doing that.. remember those felt pads don't need to put pressure on the glass. that's what the inside door panel is for!

• 3 years later...

Wish I had found this thread two weeks ago it would have saved me running around trying to find the fuzzy stuff at upholstery and glass shops. A good friend suggested the soft side Velcro. Went to Menards and got some heavy duty(made to stick to concrete) and it worked like a charm. The horrible screeching sound went away very quickly. Sanded off all the old glue first and then cleaned it thoroughly and stuck to new Velcro on without any problems.

I just did my son-laws 69 Chevelle. That was before I read this topic. I bought a yard of it at Jo-anns fabric. Works well. The kicker was I didn't want to spend $28.95 for the 2 outer guide plates. That price is conservative. Some vendors get more. Now thats too much money.

I remember removing and cleaning mine well with a scrum brush and the noise went away. Perhaps the re-install was also a bit less tight.