Correct Rocker Color

tid

Hey all,

Been meaning to ask this, as it's a source of confusion for me and a couple other 1st gen. buddies:

Are all first gen. rockers black or just SS's?

What is the correct color black?

I saw Alex's post in April regarding where the black began and ended, but his pics are now gone.

Does anyone have pics they can post showing what should and should not be painted? I know that where the black ended inside the door jamb varies, but an example of an original would help a ton. Thanks!

Jeff

Not only SS cars but all Monte Carlos had lower gloss blackout at the lower edge of the doors, the rockers from the sill plate down, the lower rear quarter section forward of the rear wheels and the lower fender section behind the front wheels. If you take a look at the lower body moldings they are two sections there is a gap between them everywhere but behind the rear wheels (one piece) and front of the front wheels (one piece) The body color will show at these gaps and not match the one piece sections mentioned above that have black out on them. On a black car you may not notice. Clear as mud isn't it!

Bruce

Thanks a ton for the pics and info fellas! Incorrect rocker color, imho, is the most overlooked detail on a monte resto. If anyone else has pics to show the variation, please post.

Jeff

So if a 70-72 Monte Carlo does not have black door jambs and rocker pannels it must be because it had been repainted at some time or could it have come from the factory that way?

Andy,

The link posted by DaveC are excellent and show what you need to know. When you talk about a door jamb I think of the vertical areas where the hinges and the latch plate are mounted. Those areas are not supposed to be painted black, they should be painted the body color. The portion that should be black is what is pictured in the links provided by DaveC.

Rob

Incorrect rocker color, imho, is the most overlooked detail on a monte resto.

Jeff

I agree 100%.

I painted mine using a semi gloss black. smile

I have seen the pictures and know the areas that should be painted black.My question still is if these areas are not painted black should we assume the car has been repainted or could it have come from the factory without the black rockers and lower sill area.

I would bet the car has been repainted. Look for overspray or paint on some of the moldings that are hard to remove. OEM paint from the early 70's was not that good.

Bruce

I would bet the car has been repainted. Bruce

I would agree with Bruce. I would assume the car has been repainted. I have never seen an original car without the black.

Rob

wait a minute wait a minute..... I was under the impression that a DARK colored Monte such as Black Cherry or Forest Green did NOT have the black rockers from the factory. Instead they just painted it normal without the black. In fact I know for a fact this is true because my monte was an original un-repainted black cherry 70 until I painted it myself and it DID NOT originally have black rockers.

Thankyou Kevin.My 70 Monte is forest green and does not have black rockers.It has all its original paint,not in the best shape but original.I have talked to the original owner of my car who bought it brand new from Muskatel Chevrolet in 1970 and he tells me the car has never been repainted.Does anyone know a chevy person that painted or assembled these cars back in the day that can give us the true story Andy.

My 72 is code 68 midnight bronze which is pretty close to black out of the sun.

It had and still has the black painted rockers.

The car was built at the Baltimore plant, is it possible that certain plants overlooked painting the rockers on dark cars??

I agree with Kevin, dark colored Monte's did not have the black rockers. Before my restoration, my paint was all original (1971 antique green) and my car did not have the black rockers. My car was built in Canada for the States. But as with many things GM did back then, they weren't consistant :P

Steve

It could vari by when or where the Monte was built. My 71 had the black out and it's black. Built in Canada. I repainted the black out to keep it as original as poss. I'm sure it cost a bit to mask off and send the car through the oven again so busy plants may have used a dark color as a way to speed things up and save money.

Bruce

My car is in all original 1970 Monte Forest Green (dark green color) and it does have the semi black paint along the bottom (car was built Sept '69 at the Van Nuys plant). I bought the car from the original owner in 1987 after it had been sitting for 10 years in storage up on blocks. Looks like it might depend on where the car was built.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same #48 Forest Green Paint as jimss454 on my SS and also have the blacked out portions. Mine was built in Sept 69 but at the Baltimore, Maryland plant. I am the third owner and the car hasn't been repainted. So here is another piece to the puzzle.

Mine is #48 forrest green,original paint,bulit in flint Michigan and as stated in above post does not have black rocker pannels.I will be having the car repainted in the near future the original color and plan on keeping the car as close to showroom condition as I can.The question is when I have it repainted do I have the rockers blacked out or do I have the rockers painted forrest green as it came from the factory. Andy

As we were stripping my '71, we found no signs of black paint in the door jams or on the rockers, found the original color on the jams and rockers, mine was built march of '71 in baltimore.

Sam

fgmcc