Monte doesn't like cold

LuckyKenny

I've noticed since it's dropped below 60 the car has a little less power.

It runs fine in the cold, i drove it this morning in 35 degrees

Just doesn't have the same ummph it does when it's 90 degrees and high humidity

And it still beats mustangs lol

I got to play with a 69 fastback on the way home from a show tonight, from a 40 roll he was at my rear tires until 60 grin

Cold? Are you for real...?

Come spend a week, or a day, or a weekday with us...right now it is a warm 35*F...the warmest that it has been in like 3 weeks...

The other day...the warmest that it got to was -13...and the low was -21!

Also...I did have to start the 70 the other day...I had to move it out of the garage so that we could get the Christmas stuff out of the rafters...so I had to back the car out of the garage onto the concrete pad when it was -5 and a foot of snow on the ground! Car started right up after not being started/driven since late October!

Anyway...Kenny...you would think that your car would run BETTER in cooler weather? As long as your car's coolant is up to a "normal" operating temperature, it should run real good in the "cold" weather...

Bring it up here to Montana...we can test it up here...by spinning some donuts on the snow/ice in the parking lots...

Cold...yea...I wish we were in my dream place right now...Corpus Christi, Texas...I would be working on the Monte's right now...instead, we have to drive our winter car's...89 Ford Probe GT's...little 4 bangers with turbo's...which are actually quite fast!

Cold! Funny funny!

Stay warm!

Do you have a trans temp gauge on it? Mine will feel slow until the tranny fluid gets up to temp as well as the engine temp. Tranny seems to take twice as long for me, I don't run through the radiator cooler, I just have an external B&M cooler. If you have the transmission lines running through the radiator, it will help out in cold weather because it will actually warm up the trans and fluid.

Is it pinging or anything like that? Cold weather will want more fuel, so if you don't have enough fuel, it could be running lean and if it is too lean it will lose power and detonate.

that makes sense

It's been set up for about 85 degrees with 90 percent humidity and the idle doesn't drop either after it's warmed up.

I feel tightness in the pedal also

could it be the choke?

didn't you put a holley on this? if so I would try going up 2-3 jet sizes to try it, you got nothing to lose

I would adjust your idle jets too, and set them a smidge on the rich side

I know I have to re-adjust mine when it gets cooler up here

Yea I hear ya on the cold Rod today we got up in the low 20s and another foot or so of snow, brings our three day count for snow to just below 3 feet and the good news there only calling for another 7 to 10 inches tonight. Spent 15 hours plowing the stuff today and more tomorrow HO HO HO HUMBUG. I didnt take monte out ha ha

kenny.. yeah you have a choke problem. .that will definitely kill power.

It's like 15% off

Nothing insane just makes me wonder a little bit

when it's about 60-65 outside the car runs absolutely perfect, it is amazing lol

It's supposed to warm up by the end of the week so i'll just drive it the way it s for now

Man Rodney, that's cold. -13?? Don't tell me you think Corpus Christi, TX is a great place. I was there for 23 years. Rust city. I used to have to wash my car almost daily w/all the salt on it. It was always garaged also. To hot and too much humidity.

kenny, you might need to adjust your choke a bit when the temps drop like that. I know when i was in michigan I always had two choke settings.. 'summer' and 'winter'

with the winter settings, the choke wouldn't come on to 'full' and made starting it in the warmer summer air much more difficult.. in the winter, the summer settings would stop the choke from coming off completely..

Kenny, don't listen to our Southern Canadienne cousins (anything North of the Georgia state line). Although it is weird you car runs slower in cooler temps. Time to put a fresh set of plugs in it and hope for the best. The carb would benifit from a few jet changes but a QJet is no Holley. I have treated Rochesters as VooDoo my whole life. Run what it gives you or swap it to a Holley. Getting Bu ready for weds today which meand the carb comes apart. Power valve hits the ground and a few steps up on the jets. But when it gets above 60, all that gets reversed.

Andy

I don't know about the place you live, but here in California the gasoline formulation changes in winter. I think they use a higher percentage of ethanol in the winter blend, or maybe change the amount of oxygenation?

I don't really notice a difference with my "modern" fuel-injected cars, but I sure feel a difference in pep with my old carbureted cars. Both types see a drop in MPG in the winter months.

cold are is more dense.. more air means more fuel.. even a carb will respond like that.

If that is the case why does an engine with a carburetor run richer the higher you go in altitude where the air is not as dense and leaner the lower you go where the are is denser? I live in Colorado and a car tuned to run well at 5,000 feet belches black smoke at 10,000 feet.

Mike

Just leave it alone. Why re-jet a car for a week of cold weather unless you are heading to the track? confused It'll be 70 or warmer by the end of the week.

Get a screwdriver...go outside and play...whats it gonna hurt??Yes..colder air will require more fuel, but what the heck...thats the fun in these cars...constantly tuning to get the best out of it..

Kenny, wait till you get up here...better put money in the budget for a beater...this week in the teens to twenty's...next week 40's-50's...go figure lol