Headers - Clearance Issues.... SUGGESTIONS?

TrunkMatt

Here in oregon, I am having some big time clearance issues with the Hooker Competitions. Wondering if anyone else has the proverbial "dragging of knuckles" at random times from these.

My car came with Hooker Competition headers... and I am left with Maybe 2.75inches of clearance on the passenger side, and maybe 2.5 on the drivers side.

Almost every driveway no matter how flat - scrape (no matter what angle). Every flaired Manhole cover - scrape.

Portland oregon has lots of speedbumps because of bikes... I actually got hung up on one today, even when angling... had to find another street to go down.

On Highway 26 in oregon where the pavement is rutted / grooved out from big trucks... bash bash scrape (at 55 MPH it is nerve rattling... and makes me think I may be ruining my car). Car behind me said I threw off sparks - eek! shocked

The car is a bit lowered (previous owner set it up), but I like the look... doesn't seem any lower than other monte's I've seen... so I am wondering how big a deal this really is???

What are my BEST options here boys? Is there a better / shorter tube header and geometry I can look into???

Also, am I doing as much damage as I think I am??? Or am I just being a wimpy new owner... and the Hookers are durable enough to take the onslaught of oregon/

I took pics for you all to look at.

PASSENGER SIDE: web.jpg

HEADER BRAND:

web.jpg

DRIVERS SIDE:

web.jpg

CAR ISN'T LOWERED THAT MUCH - IS IT ???

rightrear.jpg

I have Patriot Exhaust H8056-1 and really like them. I have had them for over three years and the ceramic coating looks almost like new. I don't think you will notice a power difference between them and full length headers.

your front tires are a smaller diameter than stock, by what I can tell the front seems to sit lower than stock too, I rarely ever scrape my Hookers (ok...let the remarks begin) lol

2.5"!!!! eek no wonder you are scraping every pebble in sight. I have about 8" clearance at the lowest point with my Flowtech (1-5/8" primaries, 3" collector) and although I almost never bottom out, I remember once at about 80mph I hit a bump and scraped the bottom so you need a dramatic increase in clearance if you want to eliminate the problem.

Your car doesn't look that much lowered but as was mentioned it looks like you have small drag wheels at the front so that is not helping. Consider taking off the lowest header and bringing it to a shop where they can show you other brands and you might be able to estimate improvement by laying them next to each other.

When you hit bottom depending on the force, that header can be taking quite a bit of force and I assume could break but I have not heard any stories of what other type of damage you could incur.

Good luck

My Monte has 3.5" clearance minimum and has to take speed bumps VERY carefully.

Less than 3" is not practical...

Ouch! I am running Doug Thorley Headers and have had zero problems with them to date. I had replaced my 350 CI with a 402 BB and retained the 350 front coils which brought the front end down some. Was concerned Headers would bottom out but have'nt as yet. This was done 1 1/2 years ago. I also replaced shocks with Edlebrock IAS Classics before the conversion and this may have aided in stabilizing the ride. As a stop gap for replacing front coils I recently added 2 rubber coil spring spacers between each front coil spring to add a little more body lift. My front tire size is 225/70-R15. Have'nt checked the header to ground clearance since this was done but if I remember correctly, prior to the rubber spacers installed I had around 4" ground clearance. I may have gained as much as another 1" since spacers installed. Always hard to gage distance via pic's but here is a before & after of the spacers installed. A relative inexpensive way to gain additional ground clearance and should note, changing front will effect the rear in stance.

BEFORE:

100_2359-1.jpg

AFTER:

100_2894.jpg

As I said earlier, after install of BB Motor, I felt the front end was lower than I liked. Even so, the Headers have never been a issue as far as ground clearance. It is possible the right type of shocks could help to some degree. Not sure of your tire size, but even this can determine your ground clearance. Based on your description of the problem, you definately need to gain some clearance.

Doug

You could go with 3/4 length headers or raise the front up to the original ride height and run your current style header. BTW love the color of your car reminds me of one I know of. grin

David

Tires!!! Yes - Thanks for the consult!

Front Tires... they are 205/60 R15... so I am guessing that could really solve some issues upping.

They measure at 24.5 Diameter right now... so If I got to 225/70 I could pick up 3 to 4 more inches Diameter, which means 1.5 to 1.75 inches in clearence.

Sweet - I could live with 4 inches total clearence

I have the Hooker comps Headers on my Big Block to and have no issues with dragging. I run taller tires than it looks like your car has also. My car was a small block car before i put in the big block and the front-end didn't lower that much ether.

i also have the Hooker comp Headers but my Monte is a small block but i have tons of room you no doubt need to raise the front of you Monte,Has your oil pan hit the ground yet?

you might have to go up in tire size to gain a inch or so or swap some stock coil springs in the front how was it lowered? Drop spindles or just shorter springs?

I honestly don't know what the exact lowering process was - as the previous owner did it. I think springs only, but I am not the most technically adept at suspensions.

I know... I know... I am in the process of learning every detail of this car right now :-) Ya'll have been great in teaching me... as I go to more meets I hope to get a bit more of a clue.

you should have no problem doing spring i think theirs a how to post on here,or go the next size up tire on the front whats on it now?

Front is on 205/60 r15 I am thinking of stepping into 225/70

225/70s should do the trick

205/60 r15s are 24.7" tall

225/70 r15s are 25.7" tall

that one more inch

185/75 R15 are 25.9" tall that would give you just over a inch

or

195/70 R15s are 25.7" tall

I do not have an issue with my hooker comps and my car sits pretty low. Like Sam said those front tires are pretty small I doubt they even meet the load rating for the car.

Okay - so I made an appointment for some new treads.

Give me some recommendations for the best Rear / Front tire combinations with R15... and Tire brands.