air cleaner decal question

ddiddle

Hello All,

Can someone tell me whether the number on the air cleaner of 402 cars was "396" or did they actually make a "402" sticker for the LS3? I know, well, at least I think, that in 1970, they were still the cross flags sticker. They went with the bigger one in 1971. Is this right?

Thanks!

Daryl it should look something like this motor.jpg but will say 400 I believe as the the 396 stickers were user on the Chevelle and El Camino with the LS3 in them. The Monte might have used the 396 sticker as well but I'm pretty sure it should be 400 then 325 hp rating.

I can't speak for 1971 or 1972, but in 1970 they marketed the 402 as a 400. The 400 Turbo Fire was the small block 2 barrel and was labeled as 400 Turbo Fire, the 402 was called a 400 Turbo Jet and the air cleaned decal said that. Don't know what they did for 71 & 72 because they didn't offer the 400 small block anymore.

Big difference! I believe Chevrolet didn't use any air cleaner decal for engine size in 1972. Big cost savings?

Bruce

Bruce, I think you're right about them not placing a decal on the air cleaner. However, I placed one on mine (350) I know it's not correct, but i think it makes the engine look complete for some reason.

A few weeks ago some guy called me on it (he noticed it right away) at a local show.

Big difference! I believe Chevrolet didn't use any air cleaner decal for engine size in 1972. Big cost savings?

Bruce

Or maybe they were embarrassed to advertise what all of their detuning and EPA conformance modifications had done to the performance ratings in just two years.

1970 402 4 barrell

dc581.jpg

1971 402 4 barrell

dc122.jpg

Although I don't have any pictures to prove it, I am absolutely certain that the air cleaner on my new 1970 Monte Carlo had a "402" (not 400) crossed-flags sticker, as well as, a separate "Turbo-Jet 330 Horsepower" sticker on the air cleaner. I have seen some GM literature that referred to the 402 BBC with the generic 400 Turbo-Jet terminolygy but I've not personally seen it on a 402 air cleaner.

I realize that Canada and US did some things differently, as did some US plants, so variations are possible depending on where the car/engine was built.

I increased the hp on mine when I went from the stock air filter with the 350/270 hp sticker I put a chrome air filter cover and put a 350/300 hp sticker on it 30 hp increase just like that laugh

Is that all there is to it Steve? Dang, I'll go ahead and order the 425 HP sticker then. That's about 100 horsepower for $2.50. grin

• 2 weeks later...

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/TroyChargers80/?action=view&current=abbey062.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/TroyChargers80/?action=view&current=abbey063.jpg

Hi Daryl,

This is what mine looks like under the hood...all original matching numbers 402 from block to tranny...the air cleaner stickers were added before I purchased it.

Thanks--Troy