71 Monte SS

Sharky427

Just picked up a 71 Monte SS (Z20 code on trim tag). Problem is car was store for a long period of time in a barn, which fell on it severely damaging the roof. I intend to replace the roof skin, will the replacement skin for a chevelle work? Also I have the load leveling compressor, but the components on the rear end ( switch, shock guards ) are missing. Are these available anywhere?

I believe Chevelle roof is the same ... Only sail panels are different car to car.

Shock protectors come up on eBay often or try one of our "parts suppliers" listed on home page. Leo @ Koniks Klassiks likely has 'em. Keep in mind they came on El Caminos also.

Load level levelling switches are tougher to find. I have a good used one out of 80k car or you could try above guys too. We're all here to help. Welcome.

Dan

Welcome to the club Randall, another Canadian member...!! Was that Monte the one that was for sale there in Ontario about 10 months ago on Kijiji.?? Post some pics when you get a chance..doesnt matter on the shape of it now its nice to see a Monte SS in progress.. Roof is the same as a 70-72 Chevelle unless you really got creative and went convertible.....the load level parts do come up on Ebay as mentioned you just have to keep looking...

Darren.

welcome glad to have another Canadian on here.

Good luck with the build and of course as been mentioned....PICS of your new ride and progress as you get running.

Regards

Scott

Here's some pictures of my new SS project: 71 Monte SS Project

Is it normal for info to be displayed below photo? If you note that car has AC, yet the kickpanels have the two pullknobs. Kickpanels match interior and appear original, is this normal?

Congratulations. Looks like a good one to build and it has some nice options. You're lucky to find one with the compressor still there and the original brackets alone are worth a chunk. Looks like the base of the air inlet filter is still on the compressor. Make sure you don't misplace it. You can make a new filter using that base.

Quote:
Is it normal for info to be displayed below photo?

Yes.

About the AC and vent cables in the kick panels, I thought our cars came with one or the other, not both.

IMG_0435.jpg

Dan

From the factory a car with AC should not have the pull knobs for vents. Are the pull knobs hooked up to anything. When you have AC, the controls in the dash should control the vents.

Welcome to the site, Randall.

Interesting that you found an SS car with the level ride air compressor still in it. They are often missing, as was the case on my SS car. Looks like you still have the front compressor mounting bracket but I can't see if the rear bracket is still there, perhaps on the back of the compressor? Hang on to all of that stuff as the brackets are more difficult to find than the compressor.

Your AC vent configuration is definitely unusual. My non-factory AC car had the Astro vents and control knobs in the kick panel but my factory AC SS car did not. I suppose it is possible someone either retro-fitted Astro vent kick panels to a factory AC car or someone added factory AC to a non-factory AC car that originally had the Astro vents.

When I added Classic Auto Air to my non-factory AC car, I was able to retain the use of the lower Astro vent and control knob on both sides, but the upper vents (on each side in the dash) are now used by the AC system. I can't imagine how factory AC could be installed without mutually excluding the function of the upper Astro vent control knob. Good luck with your project!

Hey Randall. Welcome aboard. Where in Ontario are you? I'm a little east of Port Perry and have a 71 SS. Maybe I can be of assistance with your new project?

Cheers,

Larry

ditto

But I think your down Sarnia way if I am not mistaken. Google is a great thing grin

But if you are in the Durham region let us know.

Also if your looking for some trim stuff put it up here as some members have hoards of stuff....I for example have a decent (read driver) headlight bezel and some odd ends. But your not at that stage yet.

Nice find good luck with the car and of course pics of progress and periodic updates always appreciated.

Scott