hoses and wires

jacob

I dont like having a bunch of hoses and wires laying every where. Is there a way to not have as many hoses or wires around the engine I am not talking about the spark plug wires but the stuff that I dont need to have on the car.

JacobsMonteCarloMBCarShow012.jpg

If the AC does not work and you don't plan on using it, removing those components will decrease the number of hoses and wires.

Just putting on some new rad hoses and heater hoses will make it look better. I also like doing this with a car I just purchased since i know how old they are. Then, you put the old hoses in the trunk as a spare. Having the spare hoses in the trunk has saved me some grief a couple times over the years. I do the same thing with the belts. I use black heater hose since the red ones tend to look ugly after a while.

The rest of the hoses/wiring looks like it just needs to be tidied up. You could make that engine compartment look pretty decent with some time and not too much money.

If you really want to clean things up. Degrease the engine and paint it. You may need to get out the brushes and putty knife to get the old buildup off. I painted both my 70 and 72 engines in the car and turns out OK if you have the patience to mask things well. I spend about 3 hours masking and 20 minutes painting.

My 72 needed similar TLC when I got it and here it is now:

AaronD116.jpg

There's still some work to be done like cleaning/painting the master cylinder, firewall, etc but it's getting there. I started with the engine and am working my way outwards.

There are after market compressors and brackets but they are major dollars.

Most of the stuff will clean up and the wiring is needed. some elbow grease will do wonders!

Nice looking Monte there Jacob, and take your time on what you remove, dont just start ripping things out grin Get a plan on what you want to do with your car, and go from there.

By the way, we have all been there with the underhood wiring lol

2621328_7.jpg

Great advice there Tony..why jump at making things all pretty and leave stuff behind like a lash adjustment, or stuff like a good visit from Mr Clean on all surrounding areas. Most of all you gotta get that broomstick out of there. Though nice addition to your Monte. I can see a love-match made in heaven,, kid you're probably skipping to school everyday. Hah? cool

The tall valve tell me the AC is on its way out.

Yeah, you're right. Those valve covers won't fit with the stock AC brackets.

With those new valve covers, you willl not be able to use the stock A/C brackets so you willl need to pull out the A/C compressor.

Also, to make those new valve covers work, you will need to drill holes in the valve covers for the oil cap, valve and a breather. Modifications that seem simple sometimes have complications.

Making holes in valve covers is easy..locating the hole in the right spot is an art. It's not like designing a breather system is hard, valve covers are usually designed for certain application in mind. I myself have dealt with similar issues and often find that getting the right item is the way to go. Now being a lil careful, and making your best effort at placing the breather & filler holes away from the push-rod oil holes at the top of the rocker areas and then working with the proper hole diameter, can be tricky. Some after market valve covers have location markers embossed in them to guide you, mostly the aluminum kind. Steel/sheet metal covers are formed and rarely offer stamped markings, since they were designed for certain application.

Don't get me wrong you're not the first one to attempt installing a VC designed for an earlier SBC, all kind of kits are available for what you're trying to attempt, grommets, breathers, filler caps, in some cases you need properly placed baffles, then buying the right diameter cutting tools for making good holes can start adding in dollars.

Then last but not least..you still need a proper working PCV system, you need to vent the motor correctly, and you'll find loose fitting grommets are prone for leaks and or seeping in the future. My advice get the right valve covers. frown

• 2 months later...

where do you get the hoses that go to the fire wall from? theres 2 of them one goes to the water pump and one goes to the left side of the manafold and the both run to the fire wall on my car there red looking im going to rebuild the engine soon so i will need to replace them.

I also like black hose and spark plug wires but to each their own.

Bruce