under vinyl top

jacob

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: jacob
the more we mess with my roof the more problems we find.

It's always more never less lol

So true.

Can open... worms everywhere!

found a great way to fill in a hole ... steal wool and bondo. whos crazy now ... I am.

If that ain't the quote of the week!! rofl

we only used a half gallon of bondo ... really need a new roof so when we get rid of the old one we will take out the bondo and steel wool... but it dose work good.

Should i go to bare metal or the primer? Im on the body now and have a problem theres alot of primer and paint. the ugly yellow primer some red stuff i dont know if its paint or not but under that is white and more primer before reaching the shiny stuff. any one have sugestions or had similar senarios??

Best place to start is at the beginning..... bare metal, thats just my opinion, and what Ive always done, anytime you build overtop of a junk foundation, it will come back to bite you

thats what I thought whats the fastest and cheapest way to it? I have tryed sand paper but it gets clogged up with paint and we end up with a bunch of useless sand paper. I got a small sand blaster but its slow. what do you suggest.

Chemical Stripper but that can be hazardous. I use a grinder for the heavy build up being careful not to get the metal hot so it will not warp. The same thing with a sandblaster it can also warp the metal. I have seen that to many times so I rarely use a sandblaster on any body parts unless I go very easy with it. The sandblasting is good where there has been rust to clean it up but I usually use Rust Mort a SEM product. There are other types of rust convertors but this is what I am familiar with. It neutralizes the rust so the body work can proceed.

ditto to what Larry said, your cheapest way out may be to get a DA sander, and some 80 grit to start. Chemical stripper is nasty, and doesnt work too well on the old laquer paints anyway, turns it to a watery gooey mess! Sandblasting is definately not the way to go on your roof

Jacob, I have to go out into my shed and straighten it up this weekend, I know I have a few DA's out there that arent being used. They are older, but Blue Point ones, sold by Snap-On. Ill see if they still work decent, and beings that your a young kid trying to get started, and you paid your dues to the FGMCC, if you PM me your address, Ill get one boxed up and send it out to you. I need to get to the UPS store to ship something out anyway, that will get me off my butt! grin