Compressor is mounted....

LostnFound

Well, I managed to get the compressor mounted to the inner fender tonight. I wasn't too fussy with the clean up of it but it generally looks pretty nice. The powder coated brackets and black tank part of it looks great and I may do more on the other part of the compressor down the road. The brackets lined up perfectly so the actual mounting of it was easy. I wish all projects were as easy as this one. smile

It's a good feeling to have it at least mounted again.

Cheers,

Larry

MonteLoadLevelCompressorPic3-1.jpg

MonteLoadLevelCompressorPic2.jpg

MonteLoadLevelCompressorPic1.jpg

Good job, it's official. Now get ready for that famous question every time you pop your hood..."what is that thing?"... laugh

Looks great Larry, that was fast..lol..musta had an EASY BUTTON EH? lol

Parts turned out great too from powdercoat.

Oh and today it rained so the ACID TEST to see if my leak in the convertible is still there.....and if so you'll likely hear me wink

Scott

You guys crack me up. smile Funny thing.....when I was joining the tank to the rest of it and being ever so careful not to scratch the new paint, I felt as if I was assembling a bomb or a nuclear device of some sort....LOL

Whenever I'm asked though, I'm going to tell people that it is a Flux Capacitor same as the Delorean on Back To The Future had on it and that I'm visiting from 1971. kicking

I wish someone would make a plastic Dummy compressor I would use it on my Red Monte as a overflow jug...lol

Looks good!

haha...But, I was serious about the question.

Its the shock compressor for the Suspension leveling system.

As weight was added to the car, it would pump up the rear shocks, if weight was taken out it would also realease air pressure to lower the rearend.

Hi Abe, here's something that was sent to me by another member of this great club. It explains the compressor portion of the system. I will expand further with more info on the rest of the system when I can find more typing time. smile

"The compressor for the load leveling system on the FGMC acts as a pump. It takes the vacuum created by the engine and converts it to a positive pressure used to pressurize the air shocks. The back part towards the firewall is a diaphragm pump mechanism. The long cylinder in front of that is just a pressure vessel to hold the pressurized air. On top of the pump is a pressure relief valve (yellow cap) which prevents the system from over pressurizing. On the pressure relief valve, there's two fittings, one with a valve stem similar to that used on tires which is used to manually charge the system. The other fitting should have a small black plastic airline leading from it to the rear of the car where it connects to a level sensor valve assembly."

In a nutshell, the compressor does the job of creating and delivering air pressure to the air shocks on the rear of the vehicle with the help of another component (a valve or actuator I believe it is called) which mounts close to the shocks.

Abe, I love your sense of humour....ummm....humor. smile

The explanation I copied above was only sent to me a couple of days ago so it was very informative for me as well. smile

Now we both know what a Flux Capacitor actually does. LOL

Cheers,

Larry

Looks great!!!!

That's the number one question I get about my car...They all point and ask "what's this"? The best are those who think they know what it is...explain that to whomever their with and get it totally wrong....lol

Steve

Looks great!!!!

That's the number one question I get about my car...They all point and ask "what's this"? The best are those who think they know what it is...explain that to whomever their with and get it totally wrong....lol

Steve

It's a secret compartment for the cheater system hahaha...shhhh...Don't tell Al

Tell them that it is part of the ejection seat like the one in the James Bond Austin Martin DB4 and also runs the deflection shield in the rear and the changing license plate for secret missions.

Dumb looks nutz but some will wonder... lol

• 4 weeks later...
Remember to tell the "Chevelle guys" it's a 2 shot of Nitrous !!

I love the Chevelle guys at TeamChevelle. In the last year I have bought 16 sets of shock shields for literally no more than $50 a set shipped. Remember, Chevelle = Poor Mans Monte.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I've wanted to nail down is whether the air compressors were always black or whether they were cadium plated like the brake booster. I've seen them both ways. My SS had some sort of rustproofing sprayed in the engine bay, so I can't tell what the orginal color was.

The original one in my SS is cad plated and the 3 used ones I've bought over the years were also cad plated. I have seen some pictures of black painted ones that claim to be original, even NOS, but haven't seen one in real life to compare.