monte carlo body work

jacob

sanded the right quarter panel to bare metal an i primed it this morning at 7:30 i didnt put alot on because i have bondo and some dents to take care of and i would like to get some epoxy primer to go on around the wheel openings where it rusts and thats also where the bondo is. JacobsMonteCarloMBCarShow180.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i may find a car that has good lower parts of the quarter panel and replace mine are there any patch panels for the quarters i know theres a full skin but i dont need a full one.

well me and my grand dad came up with this just want to see what every one thinks. were going to take off the fenders get them worked and while there off take the engine out and get it toren down. send the transmission to kings moutain ( trany rebuild) get the block bored .60 over and get it all back together with new parts of course and put the fenders back on. weld in new metal and new roof skin primed with epoxy primer and sent into the paint booth at the hotrod shop.

What kind of shape are the body mounts and suspension in? May be worth taking care of that while the fenders/motor is out. Just make sure you use something to weigh down the front end so it's at proper ride height. Other than that, sound ambitious, but good overall. Remember to post pictures, take your time, and most importantly, enjoy it. The only thing more fun that working on cars is driving them. Good luck.

im doing exactly that im alredy moving things to make space for the fenders in the garage the only reason my cars on in there is it wont fit.

has any one heard of aluminum body filler? i also saw a lead free solder kit thats like lead i was looking for a alternitive to bondo that last longer i know bondos great but it holds moisture, cracks when its to thick i just want something that last forever and is is more metal confused

Hi Jacob, there's nothing near as good as repairing panels with welded in patch panels or pieces of sheet metal. I would suggest (if you don't have a welder) taking the pieces in to a shop and having new metal welded in. Just pay to have that portion of the job done and you will find it is well worth it.

Then all you will need to do is apply a very thin layer of filler or even just spot putty, blocksand the heck out of it and then finish off with a good quality primer. Take your time and be very particular. Use a cheap primer first if you want which will show all the imperfections and places you missed, fill where you need to again and then sand it all off again and prime again. If you keep doing that and you are fussy about it, you will end up with nice straight panels with very little filler.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway. smile

Good luck with it Jacob.

Larry

Metal-2-metal is a great product I've used on my hood and just about any other project we have taken on. The down side to metal2metal is its a pain to sand and when its mixed it don't turn colors. Metal2metal can he drilled and tap for any bolts, great way to keep bondo thickness under 1/2" and it won't soak up water. We usual tach weld the new metal in place use a buffing disc(sanding disc) on a angle grinder to get the weld smooth then a coat of metal2metal on the weld and bondo as the last step. A lot of bike builders use metal2metal on gas tanks.

thank you I will look into the metal 2 metal stuff. This morning I painted the chasis where I could get to it so far very pleased with the way it looks and feels and how simple it was to use. I also have done a little hammering on the fender getting out that dent and I also removed the pounds of leaves and junk from inside the fenders. looked lkie a big rats nest so at least i know what was causing it to rust down there. laughJacobsMonteCarloMBCarShow190.jpg