71 SS Rear Bumper Strip

LostnFound

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 1970 360hp cam and the 390hp cam are one and the same

Hmmm ... same cam ('70 & '71) + lower compression ('71) = 5 hp increase (360 to 365)??? I must be missing something .... were the heads improved or were the Monte 454 HP ratings possibly taken at different RPMs, also?

GM played many games with HP ratings

both the 360hp and the 390 hp engines are LS5, when installed in a vette, they were 390hp, in a chevelle or monte, they are 360hp. if there was a difference don't you think they would have a different designation??? there was a LS4 too in 1970, it was 345hp

confused yet lol

the 1970 360hp cam and the 390hp cam are one and the same

ditto

GM Ford and Chryler all rated them lower for insurance purposes. Hence why the LS6 was only rated @ 450 HP.

The ZL1 427 rated at 425 HP lol

Headers, a different carb, and a good set of modern Drag Radial tires would make big changes on the ETs back then of any Muscle Car.

I'm sooooo confused! LOL confused I just go by what I've read but I know it isn't always accurate. I knew they all had the same 3963512 casting block but I thought they used different cams and compression ratios. I suspect that you are correct about GM just using different RPM ratings. The government was putting pressure on them so they simply played with the advertised figures. There's more than one way to skin a cat. LOL

TALK ABOUT HIJACKING A THREAD! I HAVE SEEN RIGHT SIDE SPORT MIRRORS THAT ARE CORRECT TOO. LEO'S RIGHT, PROBABLY WAY MORE LIKELY TOO SEE ONE ON A 72 CUSTOM. THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING ABOUT THE CANADIAN BUILT ONES THOUGH. "CANADIAN" BUILDSHEET EXAMPLE BELOW, NOT MY CAR, BUT THAT RIGHT MIRROR I RIPPED OFF THIS CAR WILL BE ON MINE. SEE D35 ON SHEET. ALSO PICTURING LISTING OUT OF RPO CODE BOOK, ALTHOUGH THIS BOOK DID NOT GO BACK TO 1970, THE SAME RPO CODES WERE USED FOR YEARS. IT DOES APPEAR THE RPO CODE D35 DESIGNATED ON BUILD SHEET & BUILT IN THE USA, DID NOT NECESSARILY MEAN YOU GOT A RIGHT SIDE SPORT MIRROR THOUGH (IN THE USA). DEFINATELY NOT SAYING THIS IS 100% CORRECT, BUT SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING TO IT.

IMG_20120918_095953.jpg

IMG_20120918_095942.jpg

IMG_20120918_095929.jpg

IMG_20120918_154350.jpg

Larry, sorry about your post being hijacked.

I did try and start a thread on the dual sport mirrors.

What I find interesting is that we have a fully documented car that clearly shows on the documentation, dual sport mirrors, yet this is not acceptable proof?????? I do understand the hesitation as many have been searching for the right hand sport mirror for years.......but not acceptable proof????

Look again at the GM of Canada documentation that was

supplied. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

• 4 weeks later...
SS bumper strip was just re-listed on Ebay at $395. I'll be trying to get it this time. I'm tired of waiting for the other guy to start producing them.

Cheers,

Larry

I thought that sold? If so why? Someone changed their mind or is it junk?

You should contact the seller & make him an offer on this Larry. Can't hurt, its been listed how many times without selling? All you can do is try, nothing wrong with that. I do it all the time & usually it works.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Rod. I'm looking forward to getting it mounted on my bumper this spring. smile

Did you want me to send you some Duct Tape Larry for that.????? lol

Darren.