71 SS Rear Bumper Strip

LostnFound

Thanks Bob, and that is what GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services ended up telling me as well. I'm just not sure if they found it in print or if they summarized on there own. Either way though, we need these rubber strips available to the SS members as they don't last forever.

Bob, by the way, the NOS center caps I purchased from you some time ago are now on the car with a set of NOS trim rings. It looks awesome! Thanks again.

Cheers,

Larry

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call the parts place & they told me there bumper strip isnt nos Its the repop & they are staying firm on the price. Bob Glad you like the center caps I have 1 more set for sale. Later Bob

Thanks Bob....They told me specifically it was NOS but he must have been mistaken.

No big deal though. The guy was really nice and tried to help me with the name of the supplier but said he couldn't find it.

I'll see what I can do with coming up with something close in the meantime. Hopefully Metro will make more but who knows.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry, The Parts Place told me the same. This was yesterday. After he stated the price I asked if it was a repop and he said yes.

Carl

the best method to reproduce a part is to digatize / cmm scan the part , i have original ss strip that i could scan and supply a math data file to a mold maker that is the true way to reproduce a part , first place to start if you really want to sell these is with gm liscensing , second with a good lawyer and third with a good tool maker and production source , i would consider it a huge task to reproduce this part , finding the current mold would be best if it has not been destroyed , also what price could you reproduce these for a very limited market , a cnc machined aluminum look alike piece would be feasable but not original rubber but you could get around the gm lawyers MAYBE

lEO

If Metro made the repro part, they should have the MOLD!!

That faded Red Monte in the pictures is my 72 "riceklr" in its before conditon, somone put a 71 SS bumper on it, that bumper is now on Capri's car along with the bumper strip that was in good shape. Someone must have ordered a 71 SS bumper from the dealership in the 80s when they done everything else.

I personally Don't like this bumper strip and even if I had a factory correct SS I would want bumper guards but thats just me. smile

I've thought about leaving the bumper guards as well as they do look nice. I even wondered if a set of bumper guards could be cut to go over the rubber strip and I wonder how that would look? Everything I've done to the car so far I've done with keeping it "correct" as possible in mind though, so that's why I went down this road in the first place. I just think $600 for a $20 strip of rubber is ludicrous. $200 for the repop they were selling was high enough but justifiable due to it's rarity.

I won't go so far as to try to repop this part myself to the degree you mention Leo but thanks for the info and for chiming in. I don't have the time or the extra cash to do something like that. Also, I don't tend to deal well with the red tape of Head Office white shirts or lawyers either. I deal with enough of that kind of stuff at work every day. LOL I'll see what I can come up with by using what is on the market for other applications. It is certainly worth a try.

Cheers,

Larry

You can make what you want or please for yourself. Larry didn't have to consult GM to make the 71 SS hockey sticks or Compressor brackets but he's not selling them in a national catalog either.

WOW, this thread took off!

As rear bumper guards were a option with a cost, you could order them on an SS. They delete the fancy (and probably expensive) rubber strip, didn't give you a credit for it then charged you for the bumper guards.

There were 1971 SS cars produced without the bumper strip-because they had the extra cost bumper guards.

I had a really good parts counter guy back then. At one time, he had a '71SS and knew all the ins & outs of them. He found me my hockey sticks.

That's cool Paul and very interesting. We seem to have some differences in opinion in this thread on this standard/optional piece smile I wonder if we'll ever know for sure one way or the other.

Jared...I think it is great that the other Larry reproduces the hockey stick trim and compressor brackets. He is doing a great thing for this club. I appreciate what he does for sure. I wish I had the knowhow like the other Larry does to reproduce this rubber strip professionally but I'll give it a good college try anyway and see if I can come up with something close.

Hopefully Metro still has the mold and will pump more off sometime in the future. Maybe I'll call them next week and speak to the powers that be at Metro and see if I can find out if they have any plans in that regard.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry and Paul my guess would be you are both correct as maybe GM said no rear bumper guards but a built on friday or special order car could have still had them with the strip deleted. Crazy things happen on the assembly line trust me.

You make a good point there Shawn....stranger things have happened for sure. This has been more of a fact finding mission for me. I know for a fact that my Monte didn't come with the bumper guards originally. They weren't on the car when I was a kid and they are not listed on my option list which is part of the G M Vintage Vehicle documentation I have for the car. I don't remember there being a rubber strip either but I know my Uncle was pretty rough with his car back then. He pretty much drove it like he stole it. LOL I remember that the rear bumper was replaced at least once by him and it was then that the strip must have been deleted. I also remember when I was about 12 years old (1976) my Uncle had to have the trunk lid replaced. I was there the night he was loading his snowmobile on the trailer, gave it too much gas, went off the front of the trailer like a ramp and landed it right on to his trunk lid leaving two large dents in the trunk lid from the skis and splitting his lip. Those were the days! LOL

Cheers,

Larry

I see it. Try this. Hold Ctrl it's on the left side bottom on keyboard. While holding Ctrl down Press + up on the number line the picture will get larger evertime you hit +. Then - to bring it back. Also put the arrow from the mouse on the picture.

Larry, Here's a thought. Make it out of alumniun. That way it could be Tig Welded. Then dip it in that rubber they sell for tools. Even better. Heat Shrink it. They do sell the larger sizes. I did my tin knockers hammer handle.

I see it. Try this. Hold Ctrl it's on the left side bottom on keyboard. While holding Ctrl down Press + up on the number line the picture will get larger evertime you hit +. Then - to bring it back.

WOW I never knew you could do that!! You are a genius Carl!! I also stumbled on the fact you can also use the mouse while holding the CTRL button. I now feel a little bit more computer savvy cool