71 SS Rear Bumper Strip

LostnFound

These pieces of rubber strip are not being reproduced any longer. I contacted about 20+ suppliers today and nobody had them or knew where to get them. The Parts Place had an NOS one but the tag read $599.99.

Can anyone with a 71 SS that has the rear black bumper strip in tact assist me with the following?

Please post or send me close up photos of the rubber strip showing texture etc as well as the side profile of it (an end view showing the outer surface shape of it). Also, please post or PM me the following dimensions of the rubber strip....

length of strip

height of strip

depth/thickness of strip

exact distance between the very top edge of bumper and the top edge of the rubber strip

I'm thinking I might be able to come up with a product close or at least try.

Thanks,

Larry

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try www.harmons.com ?

M301800 Rear bumper pad (SS) ............................................ ea 199.00

Also, how about www.oldmusclecars.com ?

Check

1971 Monte Carlo SS Pad Kit Made in USA

SKU: 3982493

Price: $149.95

Thank Andreas...I did try Harmons and they said that it has been discontinued. I am now looking at this as a challenge. This old guy can be pretty determined and persistent which is how I found my late Uncle's car. I never gave up. smile

Maybe I can come up with a decent stick-on look-a-like to tide us over until someone starts to re-pop them again. I wish I could find out the name of the manufacturer who was reproducing them and went out of business as they may have some leftovers.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry, Are you sure that all SS 71 Montes should of had that rubber strip. I thought both the strip and the guards were options. You could not get both. So if the 71 SS had either it would still be correct. I'm sure Steve from Long Island would know.

I also like the challenge and always stay with it. Keep me informed. I'll help.

Carl Hanson,

Connecticut

Larry i have both strips, original and repo. If you cant wait till the weekend i can get you some pics. If you need to see it in person we can work something out.

Pm me when you get a chance.

Thanks for your responses everyone. My car did not originally come equipped with the bumper guards. They were added back in the mid 80's when the car was redone. I also know that my rear bumper was replaced by my late Uncle once when I was a kid and was probably replaced again when the car was redone in the mid eighties.

I spoke with G.M. Head Office here in Canada yesterday as I wanted to find out from "the horses mouth" so to speak as to whether the rear bumper rubber strip was standard equipment or optional on the SS. As usual, they were great to deal with and happy to be of assistance. They had to look in to it further and get back to me but this is what they said.

The bumper guards were available front and rear on the 71 Monte Non SS.

The bumper guards were available only on the front for the 71 SS. The reason was that the rear rubber bumper strip which was STANDARD and not optional on the SS was in the way of putting guards on the rear.

Through all of this over the last day or so, I have also found out (but can't remember from who) that the only difference in the rear bumper from a 71 Monte and a 71 Monte SS is the holes for the rubber strip.

So....here's me thoughts. I'm going to attempt a reproduction of the rear bumper rubber strip complete with adhesive backing. I'm doing this with some help from Members who have them in tact. (thanks for the help so far...you guys rock!)

We'll see what happens but paying $600 for about $20 worth of rubber that has 8 bolts in it is not in this Canadians Monte budget.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry,

Yes the only difference in the rear bumper for the 71SS is that the bumper had oval holes in the bumper for the pad. The reason for the oval holes was for adjustment.

The rubber bumper had an steel band formed into it to which the studs where attached. At least on mine and the repo that I got years ago from the parts place.

I am out of town but if you still need pics after the weekend, just PM me as I have a brand new one still in the wrapper that could maybe help you out, sorry but I cant sell it.

My 71ss has the holes for the bumper guards in the rear bumper but has little chrome plugs covering them up. You might be able to see them in my sig.

Thanks for sharing the info from GM.

Vaughn

Someone should still have the mold, you don't just destroy the mold. Someone should look into this. One of the molded rubber companys may would want to produce it themselves. Steel Rubber is a waste of time. Metro is currently in engineering of the 1/4 window rubbers and 70 "L" pieces suplied by ME. Stay tuned.

Hey Jared....funny you mention that. My brother-in-law lives in the US and sells injection molding presses for a living. I spoke with him today and he offered to sell me a press. LOL He then went on line and found many sources of rubber trim and once I have the pics and dimensions, hopefully I will find a good substitute. He made a good point though.....the total number of potential customers that would be interested in this part is so small that it isn't worth the while for the manufacturer. I'd like to know the name of the company that was reproducing these rubber strips prior to 6 months ago. Maybe the right person could be tracked down and they still have some left somewhere.

In the meantime though, I'll make my best attempt at one myself and see what happens. $600 for one isn't going to happen...that's for sure. Wish me luck will ya? smile

Cheers,

Larry

Larry I agree out of 1919 cars made say 80% are left thats not enough for a company to take on making molds and production. It would be nice to track down the company who made them before.

You bet Shawn....I wonder how many ARE left out of the 1919 and I also wonder how many 70 SS's are left and 72 Customs as well. I'll bet it is less than 80%. Think about how many must have been lost in accidents when they were considered just another car. I do wonder though. There's certainly not many in Canada. GM head office Vintage Vehicle Services told me that it is a very small number that they've done searches for people on. He didn't get more specific than that except saying that there were only 6 black on black 71's sold in Canada and only two of them had buckets.

I don't even want to think of how many ended up in the crusher. frown

Hey Larry, one name for you... Vaughn Peoples.....

he has a Classic Copper 71 SS that has a Factory strip pad on the back and I believe a lead on who repro's them maybe. and also quiz him too, wealth of knowledge as well that is by far 2nd to none....

Darren.

Thanks Darren, I appreciate it. I'll find him and send him a PM. Maybe he knows of a supplier I haven't found. That would be great.

I hope all is well and that you are getting a lot of topless time.

smile

Cheers,

Larry

Here's the full dilly on the rear SS bumper pad:

The 1971 SS Monte Carlo had the bumper strip HOWEVER, the customer could order front and rear bumper guards which removed the SS bumper strip. Certainly, no customers knew about the bumper strip when they ordered the car (it was not mentioned in the sales brochure and the one photo of the SS shows no bumper pad or bumper guards) so they'd never realize adding bumper guards would delete part of the SS trim.

A car could be ordered with front bumper guards only so it's feasible for a '71 SS car to have from the factory front bumper guards AND the SS rear bumper strip.

The bumpers themselves were the same. When a strip needed to be installed, it would get the needed holes punched into it just as it would for bumper guards.

These bumper strips have a steel reinforcement in them with the studs that poked through the back side to go into the bumper. These strips rusted and rotted from the inside causing the strip to bulge and eventually split.

I had an original strip and bumper. Back in the day, I asked around to find a replacement. My search led to Metro Mold and we struck a deal. I sent them my strip so they could make a mold. They were the producers of the repo strip. The rubber is the exact same rubber used in a bumper guard.

Every time I see a bumper strip today I smile because I know it came from a mold I helped make.

The 1971 Oldsmobile 98 has a very similar rear bumper & tail light setup as our Montes. I think the backup lenses are the same.

Although I can't find a picture of one, I'm sure I've seen a '71 98 with a rub strip like the Monte SS has.

Interesting reading Paul. Thank you for posting. When I spoke with GM Head Office two days ago, it took some further checking for them to get me an answer and they had to get back to me. You might say that it was as clear as mud. LOL I also noticed the pic of the SS in the sales brochure and it is a little hard to tell but I don't see a rubber strip or guards on the rear bumper.

So, from what you are saying, a 71 SS could have been purchased new with front and rear bumper guards and no rubber strip then?

Here's some pics for those that are interested. The first pic is the sales brochure pic. The second pic is as well but I cropped it to show just the back bumper. The other pics I found through Google Images.

1971MonteSSBrochurePic.jpg

1971MonteCarloRear1.jpg

71SSRearStrip.jpg

71SSRearStrip2.jpg

71SSRearBumper.jpg

71SSback.jpg

I'll contact Metro again in case I spoke with the wrong person there and see if they have any left or are planning on making more. Sound good?

Paul...I think Larry already had the correct answer for the rear bumpmer guards. And my understanding is the same, on a 1971 SS Monte you could only get the guards on the front and they were not an option for the rear...See Capri's SS Monte.

As far as your quest Larry...it looks like Wille is willing to send you what you need but if he is unable to come through with it, I have an NOS 1971SS Monte rear bumper in my attic with the holes already drilled in it if you want a stencil of them. I also have my original rubber strip off the car and can take a few pic's for you but it looks like Wille is willing to send you his so you can make a mold.....mines original and I'm to afraid to send it anywhere...sorry.

PM me if you need what I have,

Steve

I think you have the right idea by making it out of solid rubber but it may be hard to keep it attached with two sided tape. My first SS had the original strip and it had expanded from the metal rusting. My current SS does not have the correct bumper or I would try to help you out.

Any measurements yet? The pictures look okay. The strip looks like a triangle. The true angle would be great with the dimensions.

Thanks Steve, Shawn, Carl, Willie, Darren and everyone else who has chimed in on this. Willie is sending me pics and measurements soon and I'll see what I can do with that info. If that's not enough, Willie offered to send me his repro strip which I will return unharmed. I'm not taking this as far as to have a mold made up. I'm going to search for a product used in other applications and see if I can find something close enough. The 3M adhesives that they have available these days can do the trick I think Shawn. They are used in boat applications. That way, any of us without the drilled holes will not need to drill them which would be a good thing and nobody can tell anyway as they are covered by the rubber strip. smile

I'm on a mission or like Steve said....a quest. LOL

I can be pretty stubborn and my wife says I'm OCD sometimes. Combine that with being a Virgo and WOW....I'm starting to project myself as Felix Unger. kicking

The pic of the green ss from our web site is mine. I understood the you couldn't get rear bumper guards on 71 ss & the bumper holes are elongaged to adjust the strip & were punched out before it was plated. Later Bob