more work

monte70car

Today I made one mistake and I might have to work with what I got frown. Today I received the cowl induction for a project I'm due to work one. I signed for the freight before looking at the item and the deliver guy was in a hurry. Once we got the boxes open(two big boxes holding a 5' hood box) we saw this hood001.jpg rear corner bent up hood002.jpg passenger side crushed my something hood006.jpg. hood010.jpg inner door mount cracked. hood012.jpg rest of the inner door bent down.

Sad part is it was signed for before opening the box. We have order two other hoods which came in the reg hood style box with no issue this hood came in the reg hood box with two larger boxes covering it up. The hood went through three different freight companies before it was delivered which one caused the damage who know or if it left the shippers already damaged. Been buying car parts for years dealt with freight orders before with no issues even had glass delivered for the el camino always got a tracking number or a phone call to set up a delivery date. This order was drive out and hopefully some one is home type of a deal. Makes you wonder if no one home would he have left it?

I still would call the frgt company and see if there is any way to get a little help telling the person on the other end of the line that the driver was in a hurry and you did not get time to preinspect.

Cardboard? To ship something like that? Come On! When I bought my 4inch fiberglass cowl hood off ebay. They packed it in a wood box they built around the hood. And it was from the glasstek place to.. how cheap.

Tony we were shocked to last hood we got had foam blocks on the edges and the corner. What you see on the sides of the hood is the way it came in the three boxes. Then down the center of the hood is a stripe of plastic air bags which aren't popped. Larry we should hear back from a freight company today if not we will be calling them back. We do have the tools to fix it but when you pay good money you shouldn't be touching it atleast its some you did.

Tony hopefully the freight company will take the fault of it being damaged. I think it can be repaired but your talking about drilling the spot welds out then pulling the outter skin away from the inner frame work to even straighten the outer skin. Today we are suposed to hear from the freight company, but who knows which company caused that damage is unclear

that thing flew out of the truck...

The chances of pulling the skin away, repairing the bracing and re-attaching everything is near impossible without destroying everything else in the process.

Good luck but in signing the bol "bill of lading" you sccepted it in good condition.Did the boxes show sighns of damage? If not it could have been packed that way frown

The best route might be to go back to the shipper and let them pressure the shipping companies. I bet they didn't know their package would change hands three times. A good rule of thumb is to shake package,if it rattles check inside. If you can't shake it open it.

The outer boxes were crush really bad couldn't tell what the inner box was like. They even had banding strips around the boxes which were broken. The last freight company that had it is the one who is sending someone to look at it and give us the final word on if they are going to take it back, we did send them picture and told them the drop off person was in a hurry. On the claim form they ask if the item is repairable if so how much to repair. As for going to the shipper for help they told me Thursday its between me and the freight company. I had a co-worker look at the pictures and he made a comment about it looked as if the rolled the box end over end to move it. One of the invoices I have says the hood weights 60lbs and the freight invoice says 99lbs where the hood picked up the hood picked up the extra 39lbs at I have no idea.

If the shipper doesn't want to get involved it will between you and the delivering carrier to work out. Can you tell us who the carrier was? I have my guess in the back of my head.

I have nothing wrong to say about the carries one was Baileys express the second carrier was ward trucking third was some interline company named pdx. Which one is responsible for the don't know but a lady from ward trucking is coming out Wednesday afternoon to look at the hood.

If they do not want it back, I may be inclined to purchase it from you "as is".It should be replaced in my opinion.It does look like it flew off the truck at some point though.I hate too se their "drop ship" move.

the inspector came out this evening (only 3 hours late) filled out her paper work to submit to the freight company plus took pictures of the boxes. I have sent in the claims form via fax to the freight company with the original bill of sale showing price of the hood and the shipping and handling charge. I also made a note that the hood at the time it was shipped was on sale and I listed the non sale price of the hood. Most likely they will only cover the sell invoice for the hood.

Sam I used my bank check card.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you are able to get your money back somehow!

The shipper bears at least some responsibility IMHO - I've shipped quite a few parts, and I have always packaged them assuming they will be handled roughly. Though in this case "roughly" might not be the right word. frown

when it got to my house it was in the truck but who knows what happen to it or if it leave the shipper in that shape. I order the replacement hood yesterday from another company and will pick it up in Carlisle just have to see which truck we need to take the 06 Yukon or the 00 pick up

Since we are waiting for the final outcome of what the freight company is going to do with the claim, we looked at maybe fixing this hood. After a little step here and a little step there we got the hood almost back in shape 003_zps39c432a5.jpg It looks better laying on the table now at the cowl induction part its fairly close to be perfect one side is 4 9/16" and the other side of the cowl is 5" from the ground to the cowl. Still have the rear at the drivers side to straighten up.