Repaired my factory clock

MCfan

I recently came across my original factory clock which I had replaced with a repop quartz clock a couple of years ago. I researched several prior threads on clock repair and decided to see if I could fix this one myself since the clock in my '70 SS is also not operating.

Long story short, the clock had both mechanical and electrical problems, none of which could have been fixed with a shot of PB Blaster. Not sure how typical my clock's problems are but I was able to fix them all and it is running fine and keeping perfect time on my workbench now.

Here's a link to a photo journal I made of the project if anyone is interested:

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/dbengtson4/Repairing%20a%20dash%20clock/

NOTE: This repair project started with a clock already out of the dash so it does not cover any of the steps necessary to remove the clock from the instrument cluster or to reinstall it. Those steps are pretty well covered in several other previous threads.

• 1 month later...

Just finished rebuilding my clock following the posted instructions. It took less than 3 hours, start to finish, with the clock already removed from the dash. I had to post this in case anyone was scared to attempt this very simple repair.

Congratulations! Thanks for the feedback.

Right now, I'm considering putting my repaired clock back in place of the new clock I installed a couple years ago - just one more way to keep it more original. I'm definitely going to attempt repairing the clock in my other '70 next summer.