Best fitting 454 Headers?

Shawn63

Hey folks,

Did some searching,but cannot find any clear indications for the best fitting headers for my SS car.

Any suggestions?

Over at the Chevelle forums they talk about Dougs and Hedman Elites.

But I wonder if the fitment is different from Chevelle to our cars.

Thanks

Shawn

it sure is!!!

I tried some hooker super comps for a chevelle, it was impossible to get them installed

monte engines are set-back 4-6 inches compared to a chevelle

Hooker 2455, you will still need to relocate your brake proportioning valve

I probably should have listened to Davey and done the 1 3/4 Dougs but I went with the Patriot 1 7/8 and they fit with no mod's.. I did make a heat shield for my Proportioning valve though since it was close.

Patriot Exhaust H8024-1 - Patriot Full-Length Headers

For a mild 454 I would go with the 1 3/4" Dougs. I run the 2" Hooker comps, not the super comp. Like Sam said with Hookers you have to move the proportioning valve mounted to the frame rail. I am pretty sure we put Dougs Jack Coopers Monte. I think that we had to notch the rear lower A frame mount on the passenger side when we put them on

Hooker Comps 2" here, however, I used studs for my heads and had to grind the header flanges quite a bit so they would fit properly. Oh, and I also moved my brake prop valve without having to replace my brake lines.

Mike

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the info.

I checked Hedman,and they say that the only thing they have is shortys to fit properly.

I will consider Dougs,although pricy.

Thanks-Shawn

I have Hooker Comps on my big block and they fit fine. The O.D. is just under 2" on the primary tubes, so is that what you would call 2"? Anyway the problem I am having is that I can not get a plug wire boot to go on the #6 plug. The header tube is too close to the end of the spark plug. I have Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I am having trouble getting at my back two plugs with the old headers I have on right now.

If I go to shortys,how do I get down pipes?

Do they need to be custom bent?

Shawn

I have Hooker Comps on my big block and they fit fine. The O.D. is just under 2" on the primary tubes, so is that what you would call 2"? Anyway the problem I am having is that I can not get a plug wire boot to go on the #6 plug. The header tube is too close to the end of the spark plug. I have Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Yes, as I mentioned in my earlier thread I am running 2" on my 496 and have that problem. They sell a special 5/8" socket for this which is basically a spark plug socket cut in half. I cut one of mine and saved $26 bucks and it works fine. Still have to use a little patience though.

Mike

Cudax, I can get at the spark plug and I have a socket I can use for the plug but I can not get a spark plug wire boot in the tight area between the end of the plug and the header tube.

What plug wires are you running? I have Pro1 Heads with Hooker Headers. I use a 90 degree end On Plug 6&8.

Sorry bud, I guess I read your thread wrong. I am running Taylor 10.4 mm wires with 45 deg boots, plus, I have the blue fiberglass protective sleeves on them. On the cylinders you mentioned, the sleeve shows a hot spot from the header but it protects the wire perfectly.

Mike

Mike, no problem. I quoted 427monte because he is having trouble getting the plug wire boot on #6. I've found that the 90 degree boots work best on 6&8 because of the tight space. I run the Firecore 50 Wires http://www.firecore50.com/ if you haven't heard of them, check them out. They will make your set to your specifications and are a great product. A lot of Racers are running them.

For a mild 454 I would go with the 1 3/4" Dougs. I run the 2" Hooker comps, not the super comp. Like Sam said with Hookers you have to move the proportioning valve mounted to the frame rail. I am pretty sure we put Dougs Jack Coopers Monte. I think that we had to notch the rear lower A frame mount on the passenger side when we put them on

I am currently in the 575hp range. I have the Sanderson BB3 blockhugger 3/4 length with 1 7/8' primaries installed with full 3" x-pipe setup with no issues. I just hate the way the drivers side flange ends up angling towards the oil pan. To counter it takes a few bends to bring back outbound and then go around oil filter. Passenger side is perfect and ends at correct height at firewall facing back. I purchased these rather than full length for more ground clearance, but with the work necessary on drivers side you end up in the same boat. They say their full lengths do not fit Monte's

Was thinking of eventually adding full length headers instead. Looked at the Dougs but thought the 1 3/4" may be too small of a primary size. Need input from you engine guys.

BTW: Steve also runs the Hooker headers with 2" primaries and just relocates proportioning valve to on top of frame as others have mentioned.

Dan

Dan,

I think the 1 3/4 headers would work fine on your combo. it would probably make more torque.

The hookers work with both moroso and miloden pans with kick outs, I see no reason that they would not work with a stock pan that is smaller.