Oil Change

1970 Green Machine

Hello everyone.

In a couple of weeks I am looking at changing the oil in my Monte Carlo for the first time. It's a 454 big block, very stock looking / appearing engine and parts.  

After doing some research, I keep finding different answers for how many quarts of oil that 454's take.  The average I see is answers such as "7 quarts with filter" or "8 quarts with filter."  

So my question is, how much oil does my 454 take?

Engine block shows a letter P, (I'm assuming for meaning that the engine was in a passenger car, not quite sure), followed by the numbers 361959.

Attached is an EXAMPLE picture of my oil pan, very similar but not the exact one, that's on my car- if that helps at all.

Thanks to everyone who views this. All help is appreciated greatly.

Kevin G. 

post-3446-0-94841500-1455236871_thumb.jpg

That's what I was going to say.

Put in 5, start it up for a minute, then shut it off, wait and check it.

My 71 350 with 5 and a filter change reads slightly over full.

4-1/2 would probably be to the full mark perhaps because of the small oil filters as compared to what the older engines used.

Bruce

I would stick with conventional if it was mine. I switched to synthetic on my 72 with a 350 crate motor that was installed in 2005. Synthetic will go places that regular oil will not. I developed a couple of leaks and the engine started using a little oil. I just had that crate motor rebuilt and my builder recommended 10W/30W Valvolene but that is his preference but mine also.

• 5 months later...

I run VR1 in my red car with built 454, and the 72 I bought this year that has a new engine, but I run synthetic in everything else, including white 70 original 350, and my 99 blazer, I run my blazer at about 5000 miles on an oil change with synthetic, I just use Walmart super tech synthetic, to me any name brand synthetic or name brand oil at all is just wasting money... but I am a believer in the VR1 high zink oil!

Anyone ever hear of ash less oil? I believe it is required for air plane engines.

Bruce

Hate to beat a dead horse but I have a simple yes or no question. Is it acceptable to use Valvoline VR 1 20W- 50 conventional in my stock 300hp 350?

John S

you'd better off using 10W30

I always use 20W50 Valvoline Race Oil for street use and not the track type. I also have a 350 300HP. This weight is better for summer driving like the 95 degree temps we are getting now.

• Like 1