Baltimore, Maryland
Lakewood Heights, Georgia (Atlanta)
Kansas City, Missouri
Van Nuys, California
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

(6)

Darren

• Like 1

The only GMAD plant I knew of in Kansas City was located in the Fairfax district of Kansas City, Kansas not Missouri.  No big deal, they are just across the river from each other.

Thanks, guys. I knew Chevelles were built at Atlanta, but I don't remember hearing of any Montes from there. The reason I'm asking is because a guy said Montes were built in St Louis. I knew that wasn't right, but I began wondering about some other locations.

The Van Nuys plant (Los Angeles) is where my car was built.

Found this about the KC plant:

"Leeds Assembly was a General Motors automobile factory in Leeds, Missouri (Kansas City). It was closed in 1988. The factory produced the A-bodies and J-bodies.

The Leeds Assembly Plant is located in the Leeds district of Kansas City, Missouri at 6817 Stadium Drive, Kansas City, Missouri. The GM operations are closed, the facility has been sold and is now used as a warehouse and for outdoor storage."

Dan

Thanks, Dan, I do remember hearing about the Leeds plant.  I was never there but toured the Fairfax plant several times.  It believe it was a BPO (Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile) plant.  Is there any known breakdown on how many Montes were assembled at each plant by year?

Thanks, Dan, I do remember hearing about the Leeds plant.  I was never there but toured the Fairfax plant several times.  It believe it was a BPO (Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile) plant.  Is there any known breakdown on how many Montes were assembled at each plant by year?

General Motors maintained the two division production at the Leeds Assembly plant for 40 Years

The Fisher/Chevy Wall in the Leeds assembly came down in 1969 when the General Motors Assembly Division (GMAD) was formed which consolidated all assembly operations under one division. General Motors divisions (Fisher Body, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac and GMC) were divested of assembly responsibilities. In the 1970s Leeds produced the classic Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and the Malibu and El Camino vehicles.

SEE Last Line...

Yes Leeds (Missouri) produced chevrolet vehicles and Fairfax made Pontiac,Oldsmobile,Buick.

Darren

• 6 years later...

I happened across this thread again from years past. I found a couple of '72s awhile back that had an assembly plant code of R, which is for Arlington, TX. 

Aaron added the information to the club resources at that time. 

I've still never found a Monte with an assembly code for Atlanta. 

Dan

41 minutes ago, overdrive said:

I happened across this thread again from years past. I found a couple of '72s awhile back that had an assembly plant code of R, which is for Arlington, TX. 

My first 72 Custom was an Arlington build. 350 2bbl/T350, buckets, console, A/C. I still have the build sheet for that one.

• Like 1

I don't believe any were made in Atlanta. Did Oshawa make '70 Montes? I know they were making them for '71. The chevellestuff website doesn't show Oshawa production of Montes for '70. 

Dan

If what I've read is correct, seeing as 1970 was the introduction year, G.M. would have started production in a limited number of assembly plants. 

Flint and Baltimore being main plants would be the first to switch over, as well as a few others selected by management. 

Oshawa, as well as others, would be an "expansion" assembly plants if the new model caught on..... Limiting tooling expenses if it didn't. 

4 hours ago, Scott S. said:

If what I've read is correct, seeing as 1970 was the introduction year, G.M. would have started production in a limited number of assembly plants. 

Flint and Baltimore being main plants would be the first to switch over, as well as a few others selected by management. 

Oshawa, as well as others, would be an "expansion" assembly plants if the new model caught on..... Limiting tooling expenses if it didn't. 

Van Nuys was also one of the first plants. That is where my 70 that I ordered 9/20/1969 came from after the Flint plant went on strike

• Like 1