Hood insulation sagging

V8Freak

Somout on my new hood insulation, got it tucked in front and back and all clips in bit notice a lot of sag, is this normal? Debating just ripping it out but would prefer to have it

Matt, I don't think it is "normal" for a new hood pad to sag but without a photo of yours, I don't know how "un-normal" it might be.  I have attached a couple of photos below of the hood pad I installed in my '70 several years ago and it is still in place.  It is one of the very few things I ever purchased from OPGI that I was satisfied with.  What source did you use for your new hood pad?  I assume it was spec'd for a first gen Monte so it must be the material density or thickness that is a problem if it is sagging excessively.

Did you use new retaining clips or re-use the originals?  I believe the original black retainers were square-shaped but round ones came with the new hood pad so I used them and they seem to work fine.

post-567-0-02391400-1489364425_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-04662200-1489364435_thumb.jpg

My original that was 31 years old when I replaced it because of 31 years of grime but no sagging. My now 16 year old pad shows no sign of sagging.

rob

• Like 1

I always wondered the theory behind hood insulation. Was the purpose of it to protect the hood paint from the heat of the engine or some other reason? I currently have no insulation and wondering if I should have it?

I'll take some pictures, I got the hood insulation from opgi. All new round clips and tucked in all the places it should be. It seems very soft so towards the back where there is t enough clips it's sagging really bad. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to use glue... don't really want to. My buddy said he's try and use it because his Camaro the fan blade shoots bugs and crap all over the hood and it's a pain to clean apparently

Mine sagged a bit in front but not enough to completely redo. I used a little 3m super spray adhesive in the areas around the front clips. Worked great but you have to make sure you get the super adhesive that's yellow. They also make a clear which doesn't hold well

I am not sure of the theory of using the insulation but I would guess more for sound than anything. I have not had insulation on mine since maybe 1985 when I took it off and the hood never seemed hot...matter of fact when I was younger in the 1980's I was parking in a field with a girl and a cop came up and asked how long was I there. I told him I just pulled in (which was true) so he put his hand on my hood and said it was cold and that I was lying, lol.

I have a fiberglass hood on it now and that never gets hot either with no insulation.

Matt, I don't think it is "normal" for a new hood pad to sag but without a photo of yours, I don't know how "un-normal" it might be. I have attached a couple of photos below of the hood pad I installed in my '70 several years ago and it is still in place. It is one of the very few things I ever purchased from OPGI that I was satisfied with. What source did you use for your new hood pad? I assume it was spec'd for a first gen Monte so it must be the material density or thickness that is a problem if it is sagging excessively.

Did you use new retaining clips or re-use the originals? I believe the original black retainers were square-shaped but round ones came with the new hood pad so I used them and they seem to work fine.

P4260327.JPG P4260330.JPG

Yours looks different colour then mine. Wheee did you get it? Was it stiff? Mine was soft almost like a blanket. Got it rolled up in a bag

Mine sagged a bit in front but not enough to completely redo. I used a little 3m super spray adhesive in the areas around the front clips. Worked great but you have to make sure you get the super adhesive that's yellow. They also make a clear which doesn't hold well

Problem is it cost me $400 to get the bottom of

My hood looking so nice, don't really want to spray glue on it

I am not sure of the theory of using the insulation but I would guess more for sound than anything. I have not had insulation on mine since maybe 1985 when I took it off and the hood never seemed hot...matter of fact when I was younger in the 1980's I was parking in a field with a girl and a cop came up and asked how long was I there. I told him I just pulled in (which was true) so he put his hand on my hood and said it was cold and that I was lying, lol.

I have a fiberglass hood on it now and that never gets hot either with no insulation.

I heard it helps keep bugs from getting splattered onto it from the fan

The hood insulation I've purchased a couple times over the years has has a soft side and a more rigid side. The rigid side faces up against the underside of the hood. If yours does not have a rigid side that is likely why it is sagging. I would not recommend gluing it to your hood. I suggest you buy the proper one and install it as I described above.

I have replaced mine 2 times. I don't remember who sold them but the first one came rolled up, in a HUGE box and was very thick, like the original one. The second one fit in a small box all folded up and is 1/3 (or less) the thickness of the original. I have retained the square clips, thanks to Leo here in Michigan.

Bruce

The hood insulation I've purchased a couple times over the years has has a soft side and a more rigid side. The rigid side faces up against the underside of the hood. If yours does not have a rigid side that is likely why it is sagging. I would not recommend gluing it to your hood. I suggest you buy the proper one and install it as I described above.

I most likely still have the original or a real old replacement. Do you or anyone on here know who makes a good one to purchase?

I most likely still have the original or a real old replacement. Do you or anyone on here know who makes a good one to purchase?

Try Lutty's Chevy Parts at:

http://www.luttyschevy.com

rob

Yours looks different colour then mine. Where did you get it? Was it stiff? Mine was soft almost like a blanket. Got it rolled up in a bag

Matt, I purchased mine from the Original Parts Group Inc. (OPGI) about 5 or 6 years ago as the original was intact but horribly dirty.  If you click on this LINK you will see the same item in the OPGI online catalog for a 1970 Monte Carlo and it is on sale for $38.99 including the 16 fasteners.  I believe mine came partially folded or rolled up in a big long box.  It is advertised as an "Authentic reproduction of the original GM product".  Normally, I would be very skeptical of any description that OPGI gives because I have been burned by them before. However, the one I got was reasonably thick and "stiff" but was also much lighter in color than the original stock pad (even a clean one).  I don't mind the light color or mottled appearance. It fits very well, looks good and was reasonably priced.  I think mine came to right at $50 with shipping.

It takes a full week for OPGI to get anything to me in Florida so I don't know how long it will take them to ship to Ontario or how much international shipping costs are.  Again, if the item they are selling now is the same as the one I bought from them several yeas ago, I think you will be pleased.  One thing many of us have learned: if you intend to order any item online from OPGI, you should call them first to be sure it is in stock.  They are absolutely notorious for taking orders on out-of-stock and back-ordered merchandise.  Good luck!

The originals had a compressed area on the edges that made the thickness about half the thickness of the rest. I haven't ever seen a reproduction made the same way.

Also, the original fasteners that were on my SS were round. I've seen other original cars with the round fasteners and not the square ones, but maybe some were made that way.

Dan

The original clips on mine were the square ones and they were metal.   The reproduction one I have came with round plastic clips.  My 70 was made in June of 1970.

rob

I ended up ordering from the parts place. I've also had good luck with them so far and they are out of Illinois and I'm in wisconsin so hopefully I don't get screwed on shipping costs. They have some new shipping policy where it gets charged when it ships. But for 38 bucks with new fasteners that's a good price

You guys have jogged my memory. My car had the round fasteners, but it had a '71 hood when I got it. I remember seeing the square fasteners somewhere, and they were metal. Maybe on the '70 that's in the local salvage yard.

Dan