New Guy Here

jft69z

3 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

Joe, That is one nice ride. I can't wait to see it up close. I won't pick on the painter either!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Thanks James, lol.

I won't take credit for the existing paint just yet, blame that on the prior owner's painter. After I retire in a year and 4 months (but who's counting), then it's fair game after that as to when it has a date with the stripper and sanding discs.

32 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I had a date with a stripper once 😳 that didnt go well :rofl:

That's great 🤣

One of two things come to mind immediately.....it hurt when you pee'd after.......or she stood up when 'she' pee'd....both bad situations. 😁

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the back brakes done, all fitted & shimmed to the proper clearances they want. Still waiting on FedEx to deliver the front calipers without the red logo. BAER sent them out almost 2 weeks ago, but they're delayed due to weather supposedly. Initially they sent calipers with the painted logo by mistake, but they've been outstanding so far in regards to customer service. Going with a different front caliper as well from the earlier pics.

After talking with a them, they agreed the salesman maybe erred on the side of caution initially with wheel size and they sent smaller ones with the order. The new ones will still fit the 17" wheels & will provide much better performance according to them. They only charged the difference between the two setups & even applied the black Friday discount as well, real happy about that too. Hopefully the fronts will be here tomorrow and can finish that project up soon after.

In the mean time, decided to start on the vinyl top trim to prep it for paint. Scuffed the part to be painted with a red scotchbrite pad to help the paint bite & polished the other part on the buffing wheel with stainless compound. Once the weather gets a little warmer I'll paint & install it. Already got the paint mixed to match the top, just need to spray it.

20210227_161003.jpg

20210227_154039.jpg

20210227_160801.jpg

• Like 3

Got the front calipers on & shimmed for clearance the other day. Also got the rest of the system reassembled (left header, spark plugs, O2 sensor, etc). System all bled with DOT 4 fluid now just waiting for the salt to be gone to take it out for a spin.

They recommend driving a couple of hundred miles to wear thru the zinc coating on the rotors before properly burnishing the brake pads. They have a pretty detailed procedure included how they want it done, so that'll take some time. Worth doing it right though as it will provide maximum performance and longevity in the long run. It won't be as bad as the procedure for the 'vette though, I nearly threw up after that one, lol. You have to really punish the brakes with the carbon ceramic rotors to get them up to temperature, to the point they're smoking like it's on fire.

Still, I'll probably do it before breakfast on the Monte 😛.

20210302_131056.jpg

20210303_110655.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Willie!

They turned out to be pretty sweet dogs too. Hard to believe it's been almost 2 years already. Couple of clowns most of the time, plenty of laughs.

Walked in the other part of the shop last week and didn't see the little one in the other chair....hmmm. Looked over and saw the other head pop up, looked like a Siamese dog.

20210228_143534.jpg

11 hours ago, jft69z said:

Got the front calipers on & shimmed for clearance the other day. Also got the rest of the system reassembled (left header, spark plugs, O2 sensor, etc). System all bled with DOT 4 fluid now just waiting for the salt to be gone to take it out for a spin.

They recommend driving a couple of hundred miles to wear thru the zinc coating on the rotors before properly burnishing the brake pads. They have a pretty detailed procedure included how they want it done, so that'll take some time. Worth doing it right though as it will provide maximum performance and longevity in the long run. It won't be as bad as the procedure for the 'vette though, I nearly threw up after that one, lol. You have to really punish the brakes with the carbon ceramic rotors to get them up to temperature, to the point they're smoking like it's on fire.

Still, I'll probably do it before breakfast on the Monte 😛.

20210302_131056.jpg

20210303_110655.jpg

You what they say. “ smoke em if you got em”. Very nice work. 

Sprayed the vinyl top trim yesterday. Pretty pleased with how it came out. Used spring paper clips to hold them in place when spraying, otherwise they would have been flying all over the place.

Also have been having a problem with the hood staying up since oiling the new AMD hood hinges. I re-used the springs that came with the car upon re-assembly, so who knows. I looked in the GM parts books for a spring part number and found # 3848272 listed specifically for 71-72 Monte Carlo and Chevelle SS  (early 1970 may be a different number up to a point it appears?).  Quick Google search showed a few repro ones, and an AMD unit that listed that specific part number. Further searching also showed it on GM dealer sites. Hmmmm, low & behold, it's still a valid part number & picked them up this morning from my GM dealer. Didn't even want to try the repro ones. Oh, the springs that came with the AMD hinge set are way too weak for a Monte, plus have fewer coils.

Popped one side on for a test and it held up just fine. In between coats of painting them as I type this. So, the good news is, for anyone looking to replace hinges, the correct spring is still available from GM. Total cost was about $36 for a pair. 

20210309_114227.jpg

20210309_114215.jpg

20210309_103123.jpg

hood spring.JPG

38 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Moldings came out great, good to know on the springs too. I'll save that number. May send mine out to get rebuilt, thanks

Thanks Steve!

New springs installed and work like a charm, no more hood prop! 

20210309_130317.jpg

• Like 3

See. I’ve been telling everyone that 1970 hinges and springs are the way to go to hold that 6’ hood up.

4 hours ago, MC-71 said:

See. I’ve been telling everyone that 1970 hinges and springs are the way to go to hold that 6’ hood up.

Looks like the 71-72 springs are beefier though. (The later 1970 ones with the same part number would be the same though.)

Thank you Willie! Few more little things and it should be good for a while. Still need to get some different tires, the fronts are too short. I'll get that stuff done before the Carlisle show hopefully.

Starting a new project.....Putting up another building to keep the rest of the toys safe while working on the other things in the shop. Figured I better do it now before I retire next year.

20210313_114643.jpg

20210313_144834.jpg

• Like 1

Started out with a 30x40, that quickly turned into 36x48x12. It'll mainly be for storage.

I want to paint the Monte and tired of always pulling stuff outside to do anything. That, plus it seems like no matter how hard I try, there's always overspray all over the other cars. It'll be the most expensive Monte Carlo paint job ever, lol.

This winter plans are to update the 69 Z/28 though. Haven't really touched the car since I built it in the late 80's. Going with a lot of the M/C mods,... EFI, bigger brakes, maybe a new wire harness, Dakota Digital gages, etc.

• Like 1

WOW, that is a huge "storage" building.  I would love a garage largest to work in.  I keep the Monte in a rented garage that is larger than my home garage.  I keep the Model A in the house garage and there is barely enough room to work in it, my Monte would not fit in the house garage with the work bench and other shelving.

rob

• Like 2

I feel your pain Rob, I had to park my blue oval outside for the engine swap. I have a 2 car garage and its tight working with both cars inside anyway.

Joe, keep us posted on your "storage"/paint booth progress. I'm thinking a square footage change is only the beginning 🤣

49 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I feel your pain Rob, I had to park my blue oval outside for the engine swap. I have a 2 car garage and its tight working with both cars inside anyway.

Joe, keep us posted on your "storage"/paint booth progress. I'm thinking a square footage change is only the beginning 🤣

You think you guys got it rough. Try building one in a basement. Lol

• Haha 2