1970 454 Original engine

MGySgt69

I am finally starting to restore my Monte 454 SS. My question is did the 1970 454s have an HEI distributor? I had a disagreement with a parts guy that they did not start usiing HEI until 1975. Can anyone tell me if they did.

Joe Auger

There was no HEI on my stock '70 SS, Joe.  I believe you are correct about the HEI coming into production in '75.  Good luck with your restoration project!

• Like 1

This one made me laugh....on my old 454 the PO had installed an HEI and the coil went bad. So the typical story I went to the local parts store and told the young man behind the counter I needed a coil and of course he asked what year/make/and model car. Luckily one of the old salts was watching and educated him. 

Thats a good one, I told my friend at the parts store I was wrong. He said he had a few of these distributors and would let me have one it they were the correct one for my monte.

If you are going numbers correct, there is also a build date on the distributor housing along with the part number. The date has to be within 6months of your cars build date. 

The number that my 1970 gm service manual listed was 1111963 OA15. Since my monte is all numbers matching I want to make everything correct. Thank you for all the help

If you want original stuff, You're going to be stuck with a small cap, and a set of points and condenser. Keep a matchbook in the glovebox, and don't forget to use cam lube on the rubbing block.

Ditto the above, HEI didn't come available until 74-75, but is a worthwhile upgrade.

Ummmm, could convert to a pertronix electronic ignition or other manufacturer that retains the original housing, rotor and cap but is electronic (no adjustments) as opposed to the factory points.

Here is a picture of "bard find" with the pertronix conversion, including coil and wires. 

IMG_20200620_125238.jpg

IMG_20200531_104949.jpg

My dad had autobody and towing shop. I learned when I was very young how to repair vehicles and always had a mactch book close by. Great idea about Petronics, I have one of there crimping tool kit it is great. Thanks guys. I turned 70 last month and I am still learning what really helps is a club like this and everyone helps all. Glad I joined.

• Like 1