Carbon Fiber hood

FerrariTruck

Well I met a guy showing his 70 z28 with the carbon fiber hood and trunk he's designed and I was very impressed with the product. I've seen several carbon fiber hoods on bmw's at work so I'm familiar with what a crappy hood looks like, but the quality of product this guys puts is amazing! His hoods look great even on the underside. I feel like an idiot for forgetting my camera and getting some pics but were gonna be talking soon. At the moment he doesnt have any plans for making a hood for the 1st gen monte cause he said he thinks their is no market for it...I told him about the forum and that fact that we have a crappy fiberglass hood avail and no one else who produces the carbon fiber hood...He told me if I could arrange at least 10 guys he would build a mold and make em' Price would be roughly $850 ....I'll be getting more info and pics to show you guys.

So with that said who would be interested in a carbon fiber hood? And who would possibly like to be part of first 10 to own one? Also what would you prefer? Regular oem or one with a full 2-3inch scoop?

We have put 2 of them on peoples cars, I thought it fit like crap. The finish work on the top side was ok at best, but the underside was junk. You also need to use hood pins, due to the fact that the latch is just molded in with no real support. I personally thought both the hoods we used for people were junk, and Id have been pretty upset if I spent the money they did on them, but they were both on silly cars with coffee can exhausts and 3 grand worth of wheels on them, to each his own.

On the plus side, it must make the car faster, both of them did a burnout when they left! lol

That sounds interesting. I'm sure he can find 10 people, and I think there is a market. I see lots of Fiberglass hoods being sold.

How much lighter is a Carbon Fiber than a fiberglass, I mean a pin on drag fiberglass hood weighs like 13 pounds, so dang what does a carbonfiber hood weigh?

I would like to have one...just don't know about funds at this time...

We have put 2 of them on peoples cars, I thought it fit like crap. The finish work on the top side was ok at best, but the underside was junk. You also need to use hood pins, due to the fact that the latch is just molded in with no real support. I personally thought both the hoods we used for people were junk, and Id have been pretty upset if I spent the money they did on them, but they were both on silly cars with coffee can exhausts and 3 grand worth of wheels on them, to each his own.

On the plus side, it must make the car faster, both of them did a burnout when they left! lol

I have also seen some crappy ones on BMW M3's at work so I was surprised to see his hood look so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i made the mistake once buying into "the first" cowl induction saleen replica hoods for my 5.0 mustang, it was total junk. 2 years later they were half the price, fit a bit better and well.... still junk.

The biggest issue i have experienced with carbon fiber hoods is they dont fit all that great, most people like the raw finish so shaving edges, or reworking the hood is not an option at all unless you want to paint it.

Painting a carbon fiber hood is the next issue, most hoods have tons of mould release imbetted in the pores of the resin finish. So when you try to paint it you get what looks like 800 kazillion fisheyes that you will never get rid of, oh and primer, clear , sealer... they will all do it. its a real pain!.

Steve

Well guys here are some pics of his newest make hood.

This for the 70_73 camaro. Like I said i saw this hood on his own car and the finish and fit was better or equal to that of a goodmark steel hoods which i saw is pretty good. The fact of the matter is no one makes em for our cars and if no one pushes a maker i dont think they ever will. I've been talking to him and I going to take a tour of his shop which he invited me to. I'll take tons of pics and get some info

alFA166-1.jpg

alFA167.jpg

alFA168.jpg

alFA169.jpg

alFA170.jpg

alFA171.jpg

alFA172.jpg

alFA173.jpg

alFA174.jpg

alFA103.jpg

a>

a>

a>

a>

I gotta admit, that is a really cool looking hood. By chance did you get the weight?

I gotta agree and am curious also cool

Bill

Well I picked it up and this thing could not have weighed more than 15 pounds tops! I mean if you ever had to take off and put your on your steel hood by yourself you know that its a pain even with 2 people. I mean if the looks of this hood dont sell you when you pick it up that will. It feels like you could tossed this thing 25feet if you wanted too. I'll be taking of tour of his store soon and workout some kind of plan. Roughly he said it be about $875 but if I could workout some kind of group buy with deposits for like 10 hoods he would discount it. His concern is that he doesnt think their is a market for it, I told if he did it be his market. I even told him to consider making a trunk lid, it would work on chevelles and Monte carlos..So that might be in the works too...

Guest Evil Austin

I have had multiple carbon fiber hoods from multiple manufacturers over the years, and not one has lived up to my standards.

I have had ones that block well, and I can paint, but the inner structure pattern is not strong enough.

I have had ones that are structurally sound, but two months after final paint occur divots, and other evel things.

I am so interested, because by the looks of it your guy has things down. I vote for the two inch cowl and I would love to see a price for a group buy.

Thanks,

Austin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I had interest by a manufacturer (maybe the same guy?) and did a poll on the site recently...

Not enough interest to bother with a CF hood for FGMC:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubb...true#Post218138