Yet another one..

51 minutes ago, willie said:

Looks great Tom, but i don't believe for a second that you don't know where the shift plate is!!!!  lol

Thank you Willie, but I/we really don't. Have been looking for over a week. It will be in a place that was checked before. It always is. Lolol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Already have 2, in the same envelope, in the same spot, still missing. Lololol

Keep going back to the same general spot you think it's at, around 6 more times (like I usually do). It will magically show up.

Remember..." it's not lost, it's just in the last place you left it".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Agree with Joe, keep looking in the same spot, its there. After the tenth time you look it will jump up/out and smack you in the back of the head. Ask me how i know. And i know i looked there 20 times.   Then the lovely 4 letter words start.   lol    good Luck Tom!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Keep going back to the same general spot you think it's at, around 6 more times (like I usually do). It will magically show up.

Remember..." it's not lost, it's just in the last place you left it".

45 minutes ago, willie said:

Agree with Joe, keep looking in the same spot, its there. After the tenth time you look it will jump up/out and smack you in the back of the head. Ask me how i know. And i know i looked there 20 times.   Then the lovely 4 letter words start.   lol    good Luck Tom!!

This I know all too well guys. I agree. 6-10 x in the same area and it will mysteriously "pop" up. As always. Lolololol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well the rain here in the north east finally stopped. Lol

So today's project was to find the Dan Janes ( aka overdrive) slap shifter plates. After looking in the bazillionth spot for the umteenth time they were located!!!! Sweet! Then the delema, which one to use? The original design or the latest version. WELL both designs did not work. 🤔 No way could I have the only original version and only new design that doesn't work. So something was up. I investigated further and found the new staple shifter handle not raising the bar high enough to get the shifter into low gear detent. Hmmm. 

Compared the old shifter to the new and besides the inferior quality of the new handle compared to the original handle I found the "cross bar" on the new handle taller than the original.

Tried modifying the bar to no avail. So I decided to transfer all the original "guts" of the handle into the new handle. Same thing. Then reassembled the original handle with the original parts and STILL not going into low. 

Slightly filed the original shifter plate from Dan and it kinda works. Was totally done with the shifter at that point, for today. Still not the way it should be. 

Also painted the radiator top plate for what I thought was the last time and when I checked it after the shifter issue a feather fell into it. Yup, of course. At that point I put everything away and see what damage the feather did, if any, tomorrow. 

PXL_20230927_194508300.jpg

PXL_20230927_183128481.jpg

PXL_20230927_172738865.jpg

PXL_20230927_172645111.jpg

PXL_20230927_172748565.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I bet you now wished the rain hadn't stopped.  Did you contact Dan Janes?  I know he has had a very good track record with them.

rob

Lol kinda. No I did not contact Dan and do not intend to. We have 5 other plates, original and new version in our cars and a few friends that have no issue. I feel it is something with the base of the shifter. No way an original style and new style shifter plate from Dan both have the same issue. I have 100% confidence in all of Dan's products and highly recommend them! 

• Like 6

Thank you for the kind words, past help, orders, and the confidence in my detent plates.  I'm sorry that you're having an issue with installing the detent. As you found, your aftermarket shifter isn't made quite exactly the same as an original. There are at least 3 different aftermarket shifters out there and the only one I know of that has changes that cause a problem with my early detent plates is the one that, if I remember correctly, has the RestoParts name on the box. The rear bolt hole in the shifter base is higher than the one in the original shifter base. This causes the rear of the plate to be too high and the crossbar can't get high enough to pull back to 1st gear. I've been adding a second threaded hole right above the original one to allow the detent plate to be used on that shifter base. If I am understanding your issue correctly, and this is the case, I can ship you another detent plate that already has the extra bolt hole for a RestoParts shifter. An option is for you to enlarge the shifter base bolt hole to let the detent plate mount a little lower in the back, if it just needs to be dropped a little bit. If the amount of lowering needed is very much, I would just drill and tap another hole right above the existing one. 

I appreciate your continued support and I'm glad you found the "lost" parts. I stress in my instruction sheets to please call me with any questions. I'm serious about making every shifter with one of my products installed on it work just as good as mine does, and I can save a guy time and headaches. With there being at least 4 different 68-72 horseshoe shifter manufacturers, there are bound to be questions, and I'm here to help. 

Screenshot_20230928_112826_Gmail.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thank You! 2

Dan, thank you for the kind offer. Both the new handle and the original handle have the same issue getting into low only with both designs of your plates. I was/am going to do what you suggested and make the hole on the shifter base larger to let your plate to sit slightly lower. 

Thank you for the advise/solution. Your products are top notch! 

• Like 7

Well today was shifter day. Lol. I decided to use Dan's updated version of the shifter plate. Installed it with the forward bolt, made sure the shifter and plate all worked without binding and marked the rear hole to be drilled.  

Well Dan, your product is made from some serious metal!  They will honestly outlast whatever vehicle they are in. None of the drill bits I had on hand would drill into it. So, plan B. My original plan and also the same suggestion Dan made, oblong the rear hole in the shifter base plate. After many trial fits and more drilling, everything finally lined up. 

Checked operation and all is well now. Lol. Now on to the next project. Lol

PXL_20231002_183600511.jpg

PXL_20231002_183552767.jpg

• Like 9

Dashboard time! Lol. Painted the dashboard and ashtray black. Glovebox door was done few weeks ago. Also tried 3 different "chrome" paint pens.

Used one to detail the "Chevrolet" and boarder on the non-a/c vent center cover. Looked at the pic after I posted it. It is chromelike, really. Pic stinks. Lol

Slow but steady work getting done. 

PXL_20231005_181044299.jpg

PXL_20231005_181239585.jpg

• Like 9

More forward momentum today. Installed radiator, radiator top plate, upper and lower hoses and heater hoses. 

Also connected the trans cooler to the lines. 

PXL_20231007_173309243.jpg

PXL_20231007_173320700.jpg

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Are you leaving the shroud off with the electric fans ? I did, so happy 🤣

Yes Mark, this will not have a shroud. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all. It's been a moment since I updated y'all. 

Been doing a lot of wiring. No pics cause it's kinda boring. Lolol. Running wires, hiding wires etc. 

I did change the inner structure of the glove box door due to the original starting to split and the door not sitting correctly. I checked "stock" and had one already off and ready to go. After a quick clean up I noticed it to be slightly different than the original 70. The 70 has 2 indentations for at the time, cans. The one used for a replacement does not have the indentations but a sticker on it. Under the sticker it is flat so the design changed obviously. 

PXL_20231125_162659851.jpg

PXL_20231125_162653717.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dtret said:

First style is 70, the one with sticker is 71/72. Your dash looks great. Don’t know how I didn’t see it till now. 

Agreed Dennis. I probably forgot about that detail long ago. Thought it's one of those little things for those who want to be 100% accurate.

• Like 1