Monte Carlo rebuild thread

Looking really good 👍

Is there a reason why after striping the car completely down, that your paint and body guy would just work around the trunk lock bezel ?  It's not difficult to remove and just use a flat screwdriver for unlocking the deck lid .

18 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Looking really good 👍

Is there a reason why after striping the car completely down, that your paint and body guy would just work around the trunk lock bezel ?  It's not difficult to remove and just use a flat screwdriver for unlocking the deck lid .

He is going to remove it and the lock cylinder. I already have a new emblem to install

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Removed the front fenders and guess what.....more rust. Ordered replacement panels and work will continue. Trunk weatherstripping channel is repaired, and new door checks are installed in the door hinges. Progress is being made. Pics to follow. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Stopped by the shop last week when I was in town to sell my Pontiac. The package tray and side support pieces were being installed. It's coming together. Pics to follow. 

John

• Like 2

Here is what I sold, in case anyone is interested. Its a 1956 Pontiac Star Chief.  My father bought it in 2012. In 2014 I tore it down to rebuild the suspension, brakes and steering. Due to life happening, and my father passing away, it never got finished. With moving to Florida, it just became a burden and ended up selling to someone who is really excited to finish it. I'm happy it's finally getting done, even if it wasn't me to do it. Pics to follow

• Like 3

Looking at the great pictures of the monte restoration, made me wish they had a show like "Graveyard Cars", with less attempt at humor, that only restored Chevrolet cars. 

I do like keeping it stock and perfect!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, 420ponies said:

Just wanted to know about those door hinges. Are they new stainless? That Pontiac is off the hook cool.

The door hinges for the Monte Carlo were sand blasted (not sure if that is the correct term), then new door checks were installed (shiny pin with the wheel on it). They also installed new hinge pins. Probably would have been cheaper to get replacement hinges, but I wanted to stay with the GM produced  product instead of some aftermarket piece. In the end, they will be painted black along with the rest of the car. 

• 1 month later...

Another update from the body shop. Everything is welded up in the trunk and is epoxy coated. He is going to spray underneath the trunk with epoxy, then coat it with black paint. Next, fuel tank will be installed so they can take it to the mechanical shop to install the Vintage Air kit and serpentine belt set up. Also going to have them install aluminum radiator and electric fan, and replace brake booster and master cylinder, since the fenders and hood are removed. Slowly making progress. Pics to follow.

• Like 1