PLEASE HELP, Trying to find correct hood springs.

So far I've ended up with two wrong sets of hood hinges. There smaller diameter & have more coils & don't come close to holding the hood up. I'm now looking at a pair from Original Parts Group. There part number #CH20357-PR. Has anyone gave these a try or know where I can find a set. PLEASE NOTE...GM3848272 will not work, there smaller diameter & lighter duty. Cars a 70 with 350CI.

You’re buying chevelle springs. They will not hold the hood up. Ask me how I know. The hinges are the same but the springs are stronger for the mc. Joe T has the spring numbers posted. I ordered what he suggested, from gm dealer. Yes the are still available. Cost about 18 bucks each. Search “hood springs”  to get the number. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blueheeler said:

PLEASE NOTE...GM3848272 will not work, there smaller diameter & lighter duty. Cars a 70 with 350CI.

I think that is incorrect. The part number you listed is for the Monte, with more coils, per the GM catalog and actual usage. Works fine in my car , holds the hood half way up if I want it to.

15 hours ago, Dtret said:

You’re buying chevelle springs. They will not hold the hood up. Ask me how I know. The hinges are the same but the springs are stronger for the mc. Joe T has the spring numbers posted. I ordered what he suggested, from gm dealer. Yes the are still available. Cost about 18 bucks each. Search “hood springs”  to get the number. 

Thanks Dennis. By the way I used to live in Eastgate, where cars like eggs are cheaper by the dozen.

Not sure if you'll get that, depends on how old you are. Years ago Jeff Wyler used that saying in his advertisements.

4 hours ago, Blueheeler said:

Thanks Dennis. By the way I used to live in Eastgate, where cars like eggs are cheaper by the dozen.

Not sure if you'll get that, depends on how old you are. Years ago Jeff Wyler used that saying in his advertisements.

I bought my Cruize from there. O and yes i'm old enough. I didn't move here till 89 and I also lived in Eastgate. Ironic and I now live in Amelia. But if I remember correctly(thats not saying alot) its "cars like eggs are cheaper in the country"  O fun times  

Okay I'm sorry to say I'm still confused. Either I have a odd ball car or what people say there selling me is incorrect. 

Here's what I know. I've been told I have a early production 70 Monte due to the fact it has chrome trim below the headlights. If that's true or not or makes a difference I don't know. 

The hood hinge springs on my car have 25 coils. Everything I've purchased & received has 29.

One of my springs weighs 1.8lbs. The ones I'm receiving weigh on average 1.1lbs.

My spring has larger coils & will almost hold my hood up when fully lifted. If it was to stay up the slightest bump or even a sneeze will bring it down in a hurry. And God help you if your under the hood.

To date I've ordered both the 384680 from Summitt & the 3848272 from a independent vendor. I just ordered another pair this time 3907626 which is not on the list above but comes up as a replacement during internet search. 

Wish me luck otherwise I may just go with a broomstick.

BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR THOSE WHO GAVE ADVICE!!!!!!!!

20220308_192819[1].jpg

20220309_165817[1].jpg

20220309_170225[1].jpg

20220309_170412[1].jpg

Are you replacing the actual hinges or just the spring?  Is it possible that the hinge bushings are worn out? I’m only wondering because too many of us have used the highlighted part number with success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueheeler said:

Okay I'm sorry to say I'm still confused. Either I have a odd ball car or what people say there selling me is incorrect. 

Here's what I know. I've been told I have a early production 70 Monte due to the fact it has chrome trim below the headlights. If that's true or not or makes a difference I don't know. 

BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR THOSE WHO GAVE ADVICE!!!!!!!!

I can't answer your Spring question but I can answer your comment regarding the chrome strip below the headlights.  My 70 Monte was built in Baltimore and it was built in late June of 1970 so it was an extremely late production Monte Carlo and it came with those chrome strips under the headlights.  If you look at your trim tag you can find out the month and week it was built.  That is the best way to identify when it wa built.  You can go to this link to see how to decode your trim tag:  https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingbodytag/   You can find many things about how, when and where your Monte was built.

rob

When I was putting my car back together we were trying to align the hood. After about an hour of screwing with it we noticed that one of the hinges was bent to crap. So we aligned it till it shut nice and called it a day. I ordered two new hinges from opgi for a Monte, well guess what they sent chevelle hinges. The hood almost cut my head off when it slammed down( good thing it was aligned pretty close). I ordered the highlighted number and put them on and now it’s fine. Just a history lesson from experience. Take it for what it’s worth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I ordered two new hinges from opgi for a Monte, well guess what they sent chevelle hinges. The hood almost cut my head off when it slammed down( good thing it was aligned pretty close).  Take it for what it’s worth. 

We are so glad the hood did not cut you head off, you would not be able to see all of the dancing banana's you have earned if it ha.

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

After a few close calls of almost getting my hands chopped off by a falling hood, I ordered Original Equipment Reproduction (OER) part #3848272 ($17 ea) from Summit to replace my tired 52 year old OEM springs.   The new part looks identical to the original (see side by side pic).  Installed tonight and big difference.  Hood now stays up even when lowered several degrees from max angle. Hopefully they will retain their strength for a long time.  I will post some info on removal and installation on a more appropriate thread.

IMG_5295[1].JPG

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sure not everyone will agree with what I did. I'm not a numbers matching guy. I have certain things modified. For the hood springs I put a smaller spring in the ID of the hood springs. Works good for me. 

11 minutes ago, Whons said:

I'm sure not everyone will agree with what I did. I'm not a numbers matching guy. I have certain things modified. For the hood springs I put a smaller spring in the ID of the hood springs. Works good for me. 

Doesn’t matter what we think. It’s your car, your choice. You know what you’re doing. 

• Like 3