Inner Fender Wells

cudax

Alright, I have a stupid question. My 70 MC has plastic front fender wells, would this be an aftermarket thing or did some MC's come off the line that way?

Thanks,

Mike

The next time I replace mine I will be going steel as well. I bought new plastic ones when I had the car painted 5-6 years ago, and they are already cracking, and I don't even drive it much. frown

Ian

I am thinking every few pounds I can drop off, or keep off, will only help. Although, if Ian is already having problems with his hopefully, there are a few different manufactures with better quality materials?

Mike

Sam,

Any idea why they went plastic versus steel? If it wasn't for weight was it a cost thing or was it for some other reason? I can't seem to find anything on this after searching the web.

Mike

I really don't think it was a cost issue. they didn't seem to skimp on the Monte Carlo, espically the first few years. In the early years, the Monte was billed by Chevrolet as the Gentlemans Luxury Coupe. When they are billing something as luxury I don't think they would skimp on something like the inner felder wells.

Look at it this way. The Chevelle already had an inner fender well which would work on our cars and rather than spend the money to "reinvent the wheelwell" (excuse the pun) to save money why wouldn't they have just used the one already available and being used on the chevelle. Also, if it was mostly the same thing, and the production of the chevelle was much greater than the Monte Carlo it would have been more of a savings for them to use the plastic on the chevelle than on the Monte.

I suspect they may have been trying to save on weight. With the long front end on the Monte and that heavy hood I think they felt the plastic would be lighter and and with the cushy ride these Monte's had an increas in weight may mean a harder ride.

I also suspect the after market steel inner wells are not as heavy as the original ones they had on the Chevelle.

Of course that is just my opnion.

Rob

I agree with Kevin, stones or road debris hitting plastic is drastically quieter than hitting steel... smile

Bill

I don't know why they did it, but I put steel ones in mine and they turned out very nicely. They don't seem flimsy at all, but I've never paid attention to how sturdy the chevelle original ones were.

Kevin may really be onto something here with them being quieter... That is one posibility I hadnot even thought about.

Rob

rob it might have also provided a quieter ride with the plastic.

Thats exactly why they did it,to better absorbe shock and therefor a quiet ride!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The Parts Place sells reproduction plastic inner wheel wells for $225. They are the only ones selling them specifically for the Monte. Al has them on his Monte and they fit and look great. If my plastic ones ever crack that will be the way I go.

Steve

I like the Parts place reproduction plastic inner wheel wells, as well! The finish texture on the plastic is a lil different than the originals but a close copy. Although I have purchased the Chevelle plastic ones in the picture made by "GOODMARK" industries. I didn't like the way they fit. They require some modification and the area around the "A" arm also differ from the monte carlo ones. The ones made for the "Monte" have a flat surface, if you will, to handle a better installation of the dust shields. The ones in the picture are missing that flatter area that encompass the control arm tower. My2cents

Rod

Photo-0203.jpg

0209sc_goodmark03_zoom.jpg

BP1056M.jpg There is a difference!

Rod...is that a sneak peek at April???
lollol Jaylene, you're a sneak I can't get nothing past you. whistle They're crappy pics I only had my phone handy. It's a lil further than that. I bet Mike can't get much past you. rofl