Condenser Replacement

So I started to replace the condenser, and thought I could take it out the top, but NO........You have to drop the bumper and remove the bumper filler panel, and the parking lamps.  The manual says you can disconnect parking lamp wiring, but the connector is on the other side of the panel with a 53 year old hard rubber grommet, so I just removed the parking lamps.  Had one screw froze in their pretty bad but PB Blaster and a few hard raps with a screw driver did the trick. 

When I took out the hood latch assembly, I made the fatal error of removing the spring that holds the pull handle in place because I thought I have to take it off.  Later I realized, I probably could have just wiggled it through the bumper and twisted the hood latch to get the pull handle out of the bumper.   I don't know how I'm gonna get that spring back on because it's extremely stout!!!!  Sigh!  Learning experiences of disassembly. 

Then, I went to take the bumper filler panel out and broke of two of the anchor nuts because they were rusted in there so bad.  I didn't soak them enough in PB Blaster.  I broke off the part of the anchor nut, tried to get wrench, vice grip, channel locks and could not get the 2 bolts out but could not so I ended up using a cutting wheel on my die grinder and grinding the bolt heads off to remove the bolts.  The anchor nuts are between the headlamp panel and I'm not going to pull that apart too, to replace the anchor nuts so those 2 are just going to have to get a nut and a bolt. 

Finally got the filler panel out and finally got the old condenser out.   Whew!  New one is supposed to be here on Tuesday, so now I have more parts to clean and paint, and can put my power steering pump back on and maybe the ac compressor.  The saga continues.....................

• Like 6

• jft69z changed the title to Condenser Replacement

I think you made more work for yourself. I took some pictures of my 70 Monte Carlo. It looks to me like you would have to take the top mounting brackets off on each side. Take off the horns and hood latch, and the accumulator tank (drier),and the hard line that goes to the accumulator, and all the hard lines that attach to the condenser. There are some small hex head screws down below. Not sure if they need to be removed or not. but with all the above removed you will be able to tell if the condenser is loose, If it isn't you would be able to reach them from above with a 1/4 ratchet. I think  you could pull the hood latch bracket away far enough and use some zip ties to the grill. Then I would think you could remove the condenser from. The top. Please other members, read my post to see if I'm correct, and reply to help Dale out.  Thanks Wayne.

20230430_081917.jpg

20230501_092614.jpg

20230501_092621.jpg

20230501_092628.jpg

• Like 2

When someone is new at working on these cars a lot of extra steps are taken. WE ALL have done this. The next time we do the job we remember what unnecessary steps we took. This is called the learning process. We gain knowledge through learning. And here we pass it on to others with no judgement. 

• Like 8

Look at you go Dennis! I am very happy for you! All that knowledge has to go somewhere!!  Nice job.

Hey Dale sorry i cant help you as i never did that, but i just wanted to say and the snowball begins. As it does to everyone at some point. Good Luck with the repair and ask away because there are plenty of people willing to help.

I agree with Paul that Rob did it and took his bumper off also.

• Like 1

I honestly envy you guys that have both the know-how and the tools to do all these jobs yourselves.  My skills are minimal, although I don’t mind getting my hands dirty as a helper monkey and trying to learn by doing and from others. But the tools I use most often are…

E263FA82-FF76-40F5-A2B4-787A2F871FBF.jpeg

75663A9D-F181-406A-B4FE-8785847E8059.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Glen said:

I honestly envy you guys that have both the know-how and the tools to do all these jobs yourselves.  My skills are minimal, although I don’t mind getting my hands dirty as a helper monkey and trying to learn by doing and from others. But the tools I use most often are…

E263FA82-FF76-40F5-A2B4-787A2F871FBF.jpeg

75663A9D-F181-406A-B4FE-8785847E8059.jpeg

You better be prepared to use both photos when you start on the 70. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Glen said:

I use both as well, as well as the years of ball busting from my buddy "remember when I came over to help you with ..........(insert multiple projects here )" Not to mention I have to call him with the "you won't believe what I just did, but I fixed it"🤣

• Like 2

OK, here are a couple links to my AC restoration.  As you can see I removed the bumper, filler plate hood release assembly etc, etc.  I also removed my evaporator because I wanted to make sure I had gotten all of the oil out of the system.  OK, here are a couple links to my AC restoration.  As you can see I removed the bumper, filler plate hood release assembly etc, etc.  I also removed my evaporator because I wanted to make sure I had gotten all of the oil out of the system.  Also, I often overdo a process mostly because I am over cautious and don't want to have to redo something.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19331-air-conditioning-restoration/#comment-197522

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19522-air-conditioning-restoration-part-ii/#comment-199141

i hope it helps you out.  

Rob

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

You better be prepared to use both photos when you start on the 70. 

I can only imagine. No need to remind me, though 🥺

4 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

What are you doing to the 70?? Selling it to me, remember I'm close by.

The plan for the ‘70 will be to return her to her former/original glory. I’ve gradually been accumulating parts here and there.

I’ve got a set of drip rails cuz the ones on it now are presentable, but far from perfect. Also acquired the air cleaner (with the ‘CN’ sticker 😎), a new OE heat stove assembly, correct 4 core radiator and top plate, the right fan shroud (thanks to Dennis's scouring of eBay), the washer fluid monitoring system, a set of repop inner fender wells, a perfect set of trim rings and new OE air shocks.  I also have a lead on the Vigilite system… still have to work that deal  

She arrived with her original intake, carb, distributor / rotor, fan, shock protectors and bumper guards.  

She’s also gonna need some new glass, window felts, weather stripping and seals and the dash and gauges redone.  Paint and vinyl top and perhaps bumpers re-chromed. And I’m sure the list will only grow from here once the car is ripped apart. 

I’m gonna be consulting with a restoration business that I found up in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin a couple years ago. They were down here for the Chevy/‘Vette fest a few months ago and I stopped by their spot and checked out the cars they brought with. Also checked out some other other cars they’ve done via their website and photos they brought with.  I’m also gonna be taking a ride to check out their facilities sometime this summer when I go on vacation. 

If I can have it ready by the time I plan on retiring in about two years… Or shortly there after… I’ll be cool with that. Whatever happens with it, I’ll be updating everyone here as it progresses, that’s for sure.  

• Like 5

On 5/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, Whons said:

I think you made more work for yourself. I took some pictures of my 70 Monte Carlo. It looks to me like you would have to take the top mounting brackets off on each side. Take off the horns and hood latch, and the accumulator tank (drier),and the hard line that goes to the accumulator, and all the hard lines that attach to the condenser. There are some small hex head screws down below. Not sure if they need to be removed or not. but with all the above removed you will be able to tell if the condenser is loose, If it isn't you would be able to reach them from above with a 1/4 ratchet. I think  you could pull the hood latch bracket away far enough and use some zip ties to the grill. Then I would think you could remove the condenser from. The top. Please other members, read my post to see if I'm correct, and reply to help Dale out.  Thanks Wayne.

20230430_081917.jpg

20230501_092614.jpg

20230501_092621.jpg

20230501_092628.jpg

If only it were that easy. You have to get the condenser 7-8 inches away from the core support to clear the inlet portion of the condenser to the right of the drivers headlight. The drier is the outlet.  All good. It is just work, and if you want it, you have to do it. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, Whons said:

Thanks Wayne, but won't come out the top.  The hard line on the right side of the condenser has to come through the hole in the radiator support.  And there is not enough room because of the bumper and the bumper filler panel.  Bumper has to come down and filler panel removed to be able to free condenser from radiator support. 

I tried the top route first NO GO, went to the service manual and they said it has to come out the bottom and pull all that stuff out of the way first.  But the new one went in nice and easy though!!!!!  LOL  Got it installed today.  Treated some rust around the battery tray area as I am replacing the battery tray too. 

Painting the filler panel before reinstalling, and hood latch assy and center bracket, condenser brackets and horns all got new paint too.  Waiting for paint to dry before reassembling bumper and grill, plus I'm not seeing any mounting holes for the clamps on the receiver dryer on the new condenser.  Will be studying that issue tomorrow as well.