Center console with bucket 🪣 seats

I'm going to convert my 71 monte to center console shifter with bucket seats. I had previously put a Hurst promatic shifter in my 67 Impala. I wired the backup lights from the steering column to the switch in the shifter.  Can I do this with the monte carlo center console shifter? I see some of these have a wiring harness. Do I really need this?  Thanks Wayne 

The 71 has the neutral safety switch and all the console lights integrated in that harness. You can probably use the safety switch on the column but you may still want the lights. 

• Like 1

I think on my 67 Impala I used the the neutral safety switch on the column and for the lights on floor shifter I wired them to the ignition, so when the ignition was on the console lights were on. I didn't use any wiring harness. Just trying to keep the cost down and simple.

10 minutes ago, Whons said:

I think on my 67 Impala I used the the neutral safety switch on the column and for the lights on floor shifter I wired them to the ignition, so when the ignition was on the console lights were on. I didn't use any wiring harness. Just trying to keep the cost down and simple.

That's exactly how I did my 71 years ago.

• Like 1

I Just looked at my neutral safety switch and it has only 2 leads. So I would think that one is for the neutral safety and the other is for the back up lights. Let me know if I'm right? Thanks, Wayne.

33 minutes ago, Whons said:

I Just looked at my neutral safety switch and it has only 2 leads. So I would think that one is for the neutral safety and the other is for the back up lights. Let me know if I'm right? Thanks, Wayne.

One of those leads comes from the ignition switch, goes thru the NSS, then goes to the starter. Probably purple, heavier gauge wires if you're looking at the right switch.

• Like 4

If I remember right, the back up light wire is a "light green"..... And runs from ignition power to the smaller contact switch, and then out to the rear bumper.

Looks like a smaller version of the NSS, which is purple. And thicker. ;)

9 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

If I remember right, the back up light wire is a "light green"..... And runs from ignition power to the smaller contact switch, and then out to the rear bumper.

Looks like a smaller version of the NSS, which is purple. And thicker. ;)

Pink feeds the Reverse switch, green then goes out back to the lights.

• Like 3

If the goal is to install a console with no harness, as the original post sort of states, what’s the issue. Leave the steering column alone and just add the console with no lights. The lockout rod will still move the column the same way. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to keep the lockout rod on. I don't want the steering column moving with the console shifter. When I remove the shifter on the column I will fix it in the park position. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a situation similar to Whons, except I'm using a B&M shifter. My 72 is scheduled to come home  this weekend after 5 months getting metal , bodywork & paint.

It's my under standing I can run the column switches for park& neutral start as well as reverse with the existing control rods. Looking at the assembly manual I believe I can adapt the stock transmission bracket to the B&M cable. The B&M shifter supplied switches will only allow start in park, and operate the reverse lights.

Question 1. Is the factory transmission bracket for a column shift car the same as the bracket for a console car?

Question 2. Regarding the column shifter, will it remove by simply knocking the pin out, or do I have to pull the wheel and dig deeper into the column? If I'm understanding some of the earlier statements, the shifter will still be locked until the key is turned, and I'm fine with that.

I anticipation of some questions, here's a pic of my MC fresh out of the booth, not yet buffed. Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic.

Paint3.thumb.jpg.e08896bf457c447d8e309ea9e4543640.jpg

• Like 4

The simplest way is to leave the column shifter in park. Remove the column shifter arm. And remove the linkage rods that conect to the transmission.  Find the neutral safety switch, pull the connectors off and run the wires to the switch on the center console shifter switch. 

You’re better off leaving the linkage rods attached so your floor shifter isn’t free flowing. If the collar on the column is in park your shifter should be locked to help prevent theft. But you have to have the linkage rods attached to have the safety. Just my opinion. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You’re better off leaving the linkage rods attached so your floor shifter isn’t free flowing. If the collar on the column is in park your shifter should be locked to help prevent theft. But you have to have the linkage rods attached to have the safety. Just my opinion. 

Agreed, that's my plan.

I found the trans bracket part # 3945488, but as yet not found one. If anyone has one please contact me. 

Once I have the car home I can eyeball what I have along with the B&M bracket and possible modify to make it work.

Which B&M shifter are you using, and why? Are you going to use a factory console? Just an FYI, a factory horseshoe shifter is much less costly than an aftermarket and can easily be made to function just as good and sometimes better than a B&M. 

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, overdrive said:

Which B&M shifter are you using, and why? Are you going to use a factory console? Just an FYI, a factory horseshoe shifter is much less costly than an aftermarket and can easily be made to function just as good and sometimes better than a B&M. 

Dan

B&M Megashifter, it was brand new for $150. Built my own console. 

I'll start a build thread shortly.

• Like 3

Figured I would show my solution to the shifter bracket. The B&M bracket is L shaped, with the 'foot' facing forward. I lined up the rectangular attachment holes and welded the stock bracket to the B&M bracket. The park, neutral and reverse switches on the column all operate with the floor shifter.

Still had a full nut on the threads, added a dab of blue locktite as well.

I did have to adjust the clamp connection on the column downrod to make the lock rod fully engage.

Shifterbracket.thumb.jpg.fd25402b8b6500ba1fb3abdac45dab2d.jpg

• Like 1