ZZ502 Fitment Question

Hello all. I am seeking to replace the stock 402 big block on my 1970 Monte with a ZZ502 deluxe crate engine. The intake manifold profile with Holley carb on this crate is higher the stock OEM manifold with Qjet carb on the 402 and I am concerned that the 502 will not clear under the non-ss hood. I am wondering if those out there with a ZZ502 deluxe under their hood have had clearance issues, and if so, may height issues be solved with a Holley dropped base air cleaner bottom and/or a 2 inch tall air filter element in an open air cleaner assembly. Thanks all, Barry T

28 minutes ago, Barry T said:

Hello all. I am seeking to replace the stock 402 big block on my 1970 Monte with a ZZ502 deluxe crate engine. The intake manifold profile with Holley carb on this crate is higher the stock OEM manifold with Qjet carb on the 402 and I am concerned that the 502 will not clear under the non-ss hood. I am wondering if those out there with a ZZ502 deluxe under their hood have had clearance issues, and if so, may height issues be solved with a Holley dropped base air cleaner bottom and/or a 2 inch tall air filter element in an open air cleaner assembly. Thanks all, Barry T

Oh, meant to type "in" my 1970 Monte, not "on" my 1970 Monte.

No difference in SS and non-SS hoods either. It's not a Chevelle. 

I don't have a zz502 but a 496, rpm air gap, 1" spacer, Holley carb and a reproduction dual snorkel air cleaner with no hood issues whatsoever. 

PXL_20231001_144152517.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks MC1of80. I didn't think there was a different hood for the SS like the Chevelle, but I was not sure so this is good to know. Your picture looks great and it appears on the right that you even have the air pressure tank for the SS air suspension - cool!

I replaced my 454 on my 70 SS with the 502 crate.....No clearance issues EXCEPT the original air cleaner wouldn't fit the new Holley. I went with a drop base air cleaner not original looking, but if you look around the forum there are multiple posts with what others have done to appear stock 

Picture is after I upgraded to electric fans but thats the 502 sitting in there 

Oh, 1 thing I did change was the oil pan. It was questionable whether the crate pan would fit right in. And make sure you plan for whatever fuel pump your going with. 

502.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks DragCat. The original 402 snorkal air cleaner assembly does sit high, so the drop base makes sense. Your comments are very helpful. If I had a PayPal account I'd join the club today - guess I'll have to snail mail a dues check!

Just now, Barry T said:

Thanks DragCat. The original 402 snorkal air cleaner assembly does sit high, so the drop base makes sense. Your comments are very helpful. If I had a PayPal account I'd join the club today - guess I'll have to snail mail a dues check!

Yea the club does accept checks 🤣

Also, you didnt mention the rear gears, something to consider. I upgraded to 355 gears because my buddy had them in "in stock" 

Great group of people here willing to share their experience and knowledge 🤘

There are NO stupid questions and we would love to see pic's of your Monte 

• Like 5

I replaced my 402 with the zz502 and used a 2" drop base with a 4" filter and it cleared the stock hood.

I have since replaced my stock hood with a 4" cowel and use a 6" filter in that same 2" drop base.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, willie said:

See Dennis, Mark does have a car!!!! And She is green as seen here and every pic he shows!!

It's a picture of "a" car, it hasn't been established it's really his car...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was going to mention that yesterday but I thought I might just let sleeping dogs alone. But since it’s now been mentioned, and not by me I might add, ya still no visual proof and I think we need to see documentation of proof. Also I like the “ I replaced “ part, possibly a mistype??  Should be “ I had it replaced “. Lol. Good morning Mark. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

One other thing I changed was the water pump, my crate came with a long and I switched to a short . 

Are you sure?

Mine came with an aluminum short pump and I used my stock long pump from my 402, it is heavy and I was gonna change it out but never did.

I can't  remember exactly but I think it was the zz502 short pump's pulley would not work with the original configuration.

1 hour ago, 502ci said:

Are you sure?

Mine came with an aluminum short pump and I used my stock long pump from my 402, it is heavy and I was gonna change it out but never did.

I can't  remember exactly but I think it was the zz502 short pump's pulley would not work with the original configuration.

I may have gotten it backwards, I didnt go back through the paperwork ooooppps. I thought it was important to add since as you said " short pump's pulley would not work with the original configuration" I know thats the reason I mentioned it. 

(edit) yes I was wrong, I switched to a long pump. Thanks for the correction 🤘

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Also I like the “ I replaced “ part, possibly a mistype??  Should be “ I had it replaced “. Lol. Good morning Mark. Lol. 

🤣 I actually did swap the water pump myself , nice try Dennis 🤣 I did however have someone else do the new oil pan pickup , a man has to know his limitations 

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

It's a picture of "a" car, it hasn't been established it's really his car...

Come to think of it, he has attended multiple meets with the club but always had a reason why his car is not there.  I am NOT saying I don't believe him but you guys are bringing up some good points.  Should we raise the cost of dues for people who say they are FGMC owners but have failed to prove it?  Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting establishing something like that like some places have a swear jar for people who can't keep themselves from swearing..... 

Hummmmm, that said, maybe we should start a swear jar at the Eastern Meet and Syracuse Mini-Meets, we could use that money to pay for everyone's group dinner on Saturday night, Joe alone would fund at least 80% of the attendee's meal.

rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

establishing something like that like some places have a swear jar for people who can't keep themselves from swearing..... 

Hummmmm, that said, maybe we should start a swear jar at the Eastern Meet and Syracuse Mini-Meets, we could use that money to pay for everyone's group dinner on Saturday night, Joe alone would fund at least 80% of the attendee's meal.

rob

So, are we establishing a jar for people who say they have a Monte, but no proof  AND  an actual swear jar?

I have already brought my Monte to the meets, so I'm covered there, BUT, the actual 'swear jar', yeah....I'll probably be picking up the tab for dinner if that happens....[censored].... :hide:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Come to think of it, he has attended multiple meets with the club but always had a reason why his car is not there.  I am NOT saying I don't believe him but you guys are bringing up some good points.  Should we raise the cost of dues for people who say they are FGMC owners but have failed to prove it?  Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting establishing something like that like some places have a swear jar for people who can't keep themselves from swearing..... 

rob

Instead of a swear jar how about a high jacked thread jar. No group member would ever have to pay dues again, the club bank account would be overloaded. I’d be broke. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Instead of a swear jar how about a high jacked thread jar. No group member would ever have to pay dues again, the club bank account would be overloaded. I’d be broke. Lol. 

Dennis, You. I am already broke now!!!   Might have to get a job to pay off all the dinners i would owe???        Thats it now i cant sleep!!!   All because i took Marks side...  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey Barry, thought of something else you may need with the swap, there are many options but this is what I went with ) AED Billet Throttle Linkage and Spring Brackets 6600BK)

And now I return the thread to the hooligans and hijackers 🤣

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Should we raise the cost of dues for people who say they are FGMC owners but have failed to prove it?  Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting establishing something like that like some places have a swear jar for people who can't keep themselves from swearing..... 

I could afford the dues increase, but not that AND a swear jar 🤣 Do I get a discount since I wear club t-shirts at the meets ? 

And thanks Willie, I'll buy ya breakfast next year even if I bring a car 🤣

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I could afford the dues increase, but not that AND a swear jar 🤣 Do I get a discount since I wear club t-shirts at the meets ? 

And thanks Willie, I'll buy ya breakfast next year even if I bring a car 🤣

Lol   I dont know if i will be able to eat on my dime but the jar will be filled/overflowing!!!   LOL  Might have to take you up on that Mark!!  lol

• Like 1

Barry, more car related info... idk how you plan on driving with your 502 but big blocks love destroying stock style engine mounts. That being said I recommend the Chris Alston chassisworks mounts for a 70-72 Chevelle. And now they make them with a steel upper mount option unlike the aluminum upper pictured. 

IMG_1851.JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Barry, more car related info... idk how you plan on driving with your 502 but big blocks love destroying stock style engine mounts. That being said I recommend the Chris Alston chassisworks mounts for a 70-72 Chevelle. And now they make them with a steel upper mount option unlike the aluminum upper pictured. 

Well damn Tom, I was trying to stay away from the pricey stuff until he was fully committed 🤣 But your right, not a bad investment. Will he need to also upgrade the trans mount too ? Someone recommended I do the trans mount when I went with the poly motor mounts. 

• Like 1