Stereo comments from Mecum Vegas

I don't remember which manufacturer of aftermarket stereos was mentioned there...But it was mentioned that they only had a small inventory of radios with a CD player left and they wouldn't be producing anymore.

Personally I converted all my CD's to MP3 files years ago when my first juke box bit the dust so doesnt concern me but thought I'd mention it since there was a post recently about retro stereos. 

• Like 2

Even the aftermarket companies that don't cater to the restoration crowd are moving away from CDs. Alpine doesn't have a receiver with a CD player unless it's a larger navigation unit that uses DVDs, and only half of Kenwood's receivers have CD capabilities. The nice thing with that is that the receivers are getting shorter so installation is easier.

• Like 1

Many years ago (Aug 1996) I replaced my stock AM/FM stereo with an aftermarket "Custom Autosound" Kenwood 800 AM/FM stereo for $399.00 + tax. It did have a plug in the rear, so I added a CD changer in the trunk. I bought the Kenwood 10 CD player, used, from my old boss, don't remember how much. The CD will skip at times when I drive over a bump but I like it, playing all my old CD's.

• Like 1

Yea I remember (forget which year) my truck had a 6 CD player factory. My old suburban had the flat screens in the ceiling so it had a CD/DVD player, the new suburban has nada 🤪

The new vehicles are even moving from the legacy usb connections to the new class C.

Gawd I'm feeling old......I know Dennis doesn't remember 8 tracks, doubt he would recognize a cassette either 🤣

Ive had my music/mp3 on thumb drives for awhile now. 

7 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Yea I remember (forget which year) my truck had a 6 CD player factory. My old suburban had the flat screens in the ceiling so it had a CD/DVD player, the new suburban has nada 🤪

The new vehicles are even moving from the legacy usb connections to the new class C.

Gawd I'm feeling old......I know Dennis doesn't remember 8 tracks, doubt he would recognize a cassette either 🤣

Ive had my music/mp3 on thumb drives for awhile now. 

You are old. No doubt about that. I guess my good looks and awesome personality make me look and feel younger. Aren’t the cassettes the round discie looking things?  

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You are old. No doubt about that. I guess my good looks and awesome personality make me look and feel younger. Aren’t the cassettes the round discie looking things?  

image.thumb.png.76e23b7ef3c00f87a19f3f4235ca2cd9.png

Some of us will remember these on our walls 🤣

image.png.df50d93a7595cdddb727476cdcd281b0.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I still have an Eric burden and the animals 8 track.

2008 version of Eric Burdens House of the rising son, and we gotta get out of this place. Extra long 5 minutes and 10 minutes respectively… man got  better with age!!!…  all my cassettes, cds are digital now.. on computer or phone.. still have dozens of those cassette and cds but nothing to play them on anymore.. sad…

13 hours ago, DragCat said:

image.png.df50d93a7595cdddb727476cdcd281b0.png

I can picture you, rolling down A1A, jamming out to your Nutcracker cassette. I bet the babes went wild for that back in the day! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

I can picture you, rolling down A1A, jamming out to your Nutcracker cassette. I bet the babes went wild for that back in the day! 

That made me laugh.....never heard of nutcracker band......but cruising A1A is a given 🤣

When I bought my Monte, it came with 4 cases full of 8 tracks, because it was equipped with a working GM 8 track tape player. It didnt really sound too good though. I'd like to find a way to have it rebuilt, but that far down the road.

Most of my music is on my phone. Its so much nicer just to connect the phone to the car, no annoying DJ, no yappity yap yap, no commercials, and if I dont want to hear whats playing, just skip to the next tune.

I just dont have the heart to throw out my 800 or so cassettes, not to mention my 500 album collection.

• Like 1

I just did a quick search of 8 track repair and it seems there are several places that still offer that service fairly affordably. When the time comes there are options. 

• Thank You! 1