Is this 72 'W' code - Custom - still around?

So I was reading an old 'Classic Auto Restorer' magazine this morning (picked up a bunch of old issues on ebay recently), and came across a 'Reader's Car' entry in the back of the magazine. Appears to be a 'W' code, 'Custom' by the looks of it. I looked at our list of members and doesn't appear to be registered with us, though the article is nearly 30 years old (December 1996 issue).

Curiosity just has me wondering if anyone here ever ended up with this car, or knows of it's existence. Things that keep me awake at night, lol.

20231209_131211.jpg

• Like 4

According to some old club records the name on that article is not on any of the older club records as having been a club member.

rob

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

Charles Biggs was a long time member of the NMCOA. He is now in the new national club I believe.  He was at the 2021 Super Chevy in Bristol with his new Monte Earnhardt Edition. He still has this car.

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

1 minute ago, SSpev said:

So you could get a 454 in 72?  learned something.

Yes, just had to order it. No SS454 for a 1972 though, just the 'CUSTOM' option, but that could be had with any of the available power teams.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Like Larry said, only the SS could be had with a 454.

The biggest engine for  a non-SS Monte Carlo was the 402. 8633 examples of the 402 Monte were produced AND you could also get a 4speed 402 car but NOT a SS454 4speed.

Although you could option a non-SS with the same options as an SS except the Z20 package that made it an SS. The 454 and the badging basically. 

Just like the mid eighties Buick Regals....... You could order a T-Type with all the fun parts of a Grand National, and in any colour including black...... But the emblems were unique to the G.N.

Couple interesting facts about G.N.'s. 

The computer had a speedometer limiter that the T's didn't, and some insurance companies had very restrictive policies for G.N.s that didn't apply to equally equipped T-Types. Confused the heck out of my agent.