AM 8 track radio

Well I’ve got a 71 MC which I purchased last OCT which didn’t have a radio it just had a cover plate. I noticed that they had a CD player at some point because the remote was left in the glove box and they redone the wiring I guess for the CD player. Well I hope I didn’t make a bad decision but we purchased a AM 8 track radio which came out of a 72 MC and I also purchased the 9 pin connector for the radio. My question is I was wanting to know would it be complicated to hook up the radio. I took pics of the wiring under the dash and plus the information on the rear speakers .  

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0794.jpeg

First off welcome to the site, second do you have a wiring diagram? Depending on how badly they chopped up the wiring may make it more difficult. But if it's not cobbed up to badly you may be able to use what's there if you have the correct pigtail and hook it up and plug and play. Definitely look at a wiring diagram and see what your working with. Good luck someone put a cd player In mine before I got it and really looks like a mess under there so I won't tackle that until I do the dashboard, everything works now.Good luck with it. 

• Like 4

Welcome Wesley,

From the looks of the pin connector, it appears to be the one that plugs into the player.. also known as the "head unit". 

I don't think you'll find an adapter, but if the previous owner bought the stereo as a package, the Pioneer website should have a diagram that will guide you to what goes where. Then it should be a simple job of matching wires..... 

Best 'o' luck, Scott

• Like 2

Wesley, you probably know this, do not use that 4ohm speaker with the 72 AM radio.  The older radios require 8-10 ohm speakers, using 4 ohm speakers will ruin the radio.    One source for 8-10 ohm speakers is Turnswitch, members here likely know of others.  

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

10 hours ago, FrankOC said:

Wesley, you probably know this, do not use that 4ohm speaker with the 72 AM radio.  The older radios require 8-10 ohm speakers, using 4 ohm speakers will ruin the radio.    One source for 8-10 ohm speakers is Turnswitch, members here likely know of others.  

Thanks for the information about the speakers i will have to find me some 8-10 ohm speakers. So glad i posted this because i sure didnt want to burn anything up lol because me and my wife really was wanting a 8 track player for the MC. Thanks Wes

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:52 AM, 1970mcss said:

Are the factory wire harnesses still in the car? The yellow black and grey are a factory radio connector

I believe the 5th pic is a new harness somebody installed for a cd player. But yes the other wires are somewhat factory. That’s what I was wandering on that connector because that’s the connector it shows in the wiring manual I have. I bought the 9 pin connector for the DELCO AM 8 track radio hopefully after I get me some 8 ohm speakers I’ll be able to figure out how to install the connector for the radio I hope anyway lol. Thanks Wes

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:56 PM, cny first gen 71 said:

First off welcome to the site, second do you have a wiring diagram? Depending on how badly they chopped up the wiring may make it more difficult. But if it's not cobbed up to badly you may be able to use what's there if you have the correct pigtail and hook it up and plug and play. Definitely look at a wiring diagram and see what your working with. Good luck someone put a cd player In mine before I got it and really looks like a mess under there so I won't tackle that until I do the dashboard, everything works now.Good luck with it. 

Well I’ve got the original radio connector that has the yellow,gray,and black wires attached and yes I purchased the wiring manual also but the am 8 track takes a 9 pin connector which I purchased so now after I get me some 8 ohm speakers I’ll have to figure out about getting the connector hooked up hopefully with no problems lol. Thanks Wes

• Like 2

See the attached 2 pictures that show the 9 pin connector wires and the Photofact sheet which identifies the wires. The 5 row of pins are for a 4 speaker system (2 front and 2 rear) 2 ground wires (black) for the front and rear speakers along with the individual 2 front - LF & RF and 2 rear - LR & RR speaker wires. The 4 row pins are 2 ground wires (black) 12V is yellow & Lamp is grey.

8 track plug.jpg

8 track diagram.jpg

• Like 2

If this can be of any help, here is the connector to the AM/FM Stereo from my 71 Monte Carlo. I replaced the original for a cassette + CD (in the trunk) player.

IMG-0678.thumb.JPG.5c2e9710a23e06863ea59f1c18b91267.JPGIMG-0679.thumb.JPG.5d42bd86c9aae0aaf60dd88dc7fff25d.JPG

• Like 1

I just want to say thanks for all the comments and diagrams I sure appreciate it very much. But please forgive me I probably should’ve said this in the beginning I think my MC has 1 speaker in the front and  has 1 speaker in the back but whoever had it before me must’ve put a extra speaker in the back so could I just hookup the connector I have to just the 2 rear speakers and maybe the front when I get me some 8 ohm speakers. Here’s some pics of the radio and connector that I’ve got.

IMG_0816.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

Wesley, just quick question....

Are you hooked on the factory original 8-track ? Or are you open to "original looking" ?

I ask because there are several companies that make updated versions of original looking equipment, and, although I haven't really looked, 8 ohm speakers could be expensive and hard to find. 

Scott.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Wesley, just quick question....

Are you hooked on the factory original 8-track ? Or are you open to "original looking" ?

I ask because there are several companies that make updated versions of original looking equipment, and, although I haven't really looked, 8 ohm speakers could be expensive and hard to find. 

Scott.

Yep  I’m pretty hooked on the 8 track I really like the original look of the radio.Thanks Wes 

• Like 1

Just wondering here, If you have newer 4 ohm speakers, can you add a 4 ohm resistor to the speaker circuit? Wouldn't that create the 8 ohms of resistance that the radio wants to see?