Hi my vin tag is badly deteriorated from a bad window leak so sill has to be replaced and i need a new tag after the repair. Is there a place or way to do this???

51 minutes ago, mrm said:

Hi my vin tag is badly deteriorated from a bad window leak so sill has to be replaced and i need a new tag after the repair. Is there a place or way to do this???

I’ll have to dig through a bunch of paperwork to find it, but yes Is the answer. Try searching vin tag and see if the information I posted way back is still there. 

I knew I didn’t want to go through that file. It was a horrific reminder of all the money I spent on restoring the 71. lol. But anything for a Dues Paying  member. Make sure you have a clear title in your name or he won’t touch it. 

IMG_7189.jpeg

• Like 6

Scott. Not all the factory tags had the gm part number on them. The tag I got for my 71 was perfect in every aspect. I spent months of time trying to get this done because mine was rusted, gone.  The state of California verified the number and attached it to the door jamb. I wanted that gone, ironically I never did take it off. lol. 

I was wondering if, because mine does have a part #, that if it isn't a replacement..... 

My v.i.n. says it's a Flint car, but my body tag says it's a Baltimore car. But when I run the numbers through the search services, they both come back as the same car.

Maybe someone stamped the wrong number on the v.i.n. ????

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

I was wondering if, because mine does have a part #, that if it isn't a replacement..... 

My v.i.n. says it's a Flint car, but my body tag says it's a Baltimore car. But when I run the numbers through the search services, they both come back as the same car.

Maybe someone stamped the wrong number on the v.i.n. ????

Your body tag doesn’t have the complete vin on it. Only the beginning. 

Yes, the assembly plant codes should match. The rivet on your VIN tag doesn't look original. 

Dan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Shouldn't the vin tag rivets be the Rosette type? 

Yep. And some of them come up from the underside so you see the “squished rivet” and not the rosette. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Yep. And some of them come up from the underside so you see the “squished rivet” and not the rosette. 

Was the upside down rivets done in a certain plant???   Or done in every plant???

1 hour ago, willie said:

Was the upside down rivets done in a certain plant???   Or done in every plant???

My 71 was California and that’s the way it was. So when I changed it I put the back upside down. Probably had more to do with the person riveting them on. A guess 

15 hours ago, Scott S. said:

But the plant numbers should match.... No ?

VIN plate.jpg

Montelishi I.D. tag.jpg

Yes, they should match. The VIN plate and the body tag are not from the same car. Do you still have the blue sticker on the inside edge of the drivers door? That has the VIN and the month it was built on it. Have you found a build sheet in the car?

We went through this in another thread and all came up with the same conclusion. Something is wrong here. I don’t blame Scott for trying though. I probably would too. Another option for you Scott, and no you’re not going to like it. Under the AC box is the hidden partial vin. If you have a boroscope you can pull the passenger wheel well and blower motor and by chance see it. I doubt it though. Next up pull the fender and the box. Most cars have them hidden behind the box. I say most because my 70 chevelle did not. I guessing it will match the data tag and not the vi number. Good luck, not easy but at least you get the truth. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, overdrive said:

Yes, the assembly plant codes should match. The rivet on your VIN tag doesn't look original. 

Dan

That's what I was thinking....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Yes, they should match. The VIN plate and the body tag are not from the same car. Do you still have the blue sticker on the inside edge of the drivers door? That has the VIN and the month it was built on it. Have you found a build sheet in the car?

The doors have been repainted a couple times, so the blue tag is long gone, and I still haven't gotten around to pulling the back seat up yet.... It's only been 5 years since I got her. lha5.thumb.jpg.20abac33fa315470b48fbc7ee2abf6fc.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

We went through this in another thread and all came up with the same conclusion. Something is wrong here. I don’t blame Scott for trying though. I probably would too. Another option for you Scott, and no you’re not going to like it. Under the AC box is the hidden partial vin. If you have a boroscope you can pull the passenger wheel well and blower motor and by chance see it. I doubt it though. Next up pull the fender and the box. Most cars have them hidden behind the box. I say most because my 70 chevelle did not. I guessing it will match the data tag and not the vi number. Good luck, not easy but at least you get the truth. 

Yes we did, and since then, I've done a title search using both the "B" and "F" versions of the VIN. Strangely, they both come back as the same car.... Colour, vinyl top, interior, drive train..... 

I've tried looking under the heater box, but no luck yet. I'm just wondering if a past owner went to all the trouble of finding two fairly identical cars that were damaged and made one out of them ???? 

Stranger things have happened.....

25 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Yes we did, and since then, I've done a title search using both the "B" and "F" versions of the VIN. Strangely, they both come back as the same car.... Colour, vinyl top, interior, drive train..... 

I've tried looking under the heater box, but no luck yet. I'm just wondering if a past owner went to all the trouble of finding two fairly identical cars that were damaged and made one out of them ???? 

Stranger things have happened.....

It’s not uncommon either. As long as it’s a clean title you should have nothing to worry about but I would still want to know. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scott S. said:

The doors have been repainted a couple times, so the blue tag is long gone, and I still haven't gotten around to pulling the back seat up yet.... It's only been 5 years since I got her. lha5.thumb.jpg.20abac33fa315470b48fbc7ee2abf6fc.jpg

Bring it to the Western Meet. We can pull the interior apart there. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Dtret said:

It’s not uncommon either. As long as it’s a clean title you should have nothing to worry about but I would still want to know. 

It's more of a curiousity thing at this point..... I bought it from a legitimate, reputable dealership and had the title cleared, so I'm thinking I'm pretty safe. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canuck said:

Bring it to the Western Meet. We can pull the interior apart there. 😁

Hmmm..... Let 20 Monte fanatics tear Montelishi apart.......????

Are you sure you don't work for border security ???? :k

• Like 2
  • Haha 1