Gas tank

Monteman1971

Both my 70 and 71 Montes have new repop Oh Canada Chevelle tanks in them, from my local guy that I try to keep alive. Come to think of it, I think I even asked him for Chevelle tanks. The 71 has smog vents brazed to the tank where the 70 does not.

No issues with fit.

Andy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My monte is actully a 1970 body, and I've had both '72 and '70 style tanks in it.. they fit identically. .the only difference is the vents on the '72. .and the gas caps.

• 1 month later...

I was just on the Team Chevelle Site and read a post about the difference in Monte and Chevelle tanks. They are saying the filler necks are a different length. I just bought a stainless tank through Ground Up and didn't even mention Monte Carlo and just ordered a 1970 Chevelle tank for my 71 Monte.Don't want the emissions. Have a steel tank in storage that I bought years ago. Again Chevelle. I trust Leo's statement.

• 2 weeks later...

in the GM world, two identical parts can have two different part #'s. it could be something as simple as a change in suppliers, or even something as basic as the stamping die was replaced. After working for GM SPO, I can tell you.. there is no rhyme or reason to part #'s. I've seen part #'s changed because the location of the part # sticker was changed....

We've always used chevelle tanks at Koniks... never had any issues.

Just got in a new gas tank and sending unit at work for a 70 chevelle from Leo. Great part!

Dynacorn part.

you have to watch out tho.. cuz there are two different gas tanks on the market.. one is a lot cheaper, but isn't as nice ....

• 3 years later...

Tanks revisited...

Hi all, I am now hunting a new tank for my Monte.

I have seen 17 and 20 gallon listings. I'm not sure which is correct, or if it's a discrepancy in what they consider "full".

A couple I am looking at are:

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot (GM Licensed)

Tamraz's (Spectra)

Any current recommendations?

Tanks,

Dennis

non of these new tanks have a filler neck like the stock tank, they all end at the tank and fuel sloshes up the neck bad! a stock tank's neck continues approx half way into the tank to prevent fuel sloshing

That stock filler neck was the issue I had with getting a replacement sending unit. The stock neck extends way forward in the tank, clear up past the sending unit. It works great at keeping the fuel from pouring out the back on acceleration.

The replacement sender I got had the float hung on the wrong side and had a conflict with that filler neck. I'd rather have the well designed filler neck than settle for the universal sender.

I hope I can keep my OEM tank for a long time after reading all the above!

A bit off topic, sorry but the recall of mid 1970's Pinto's required the removal of the standard filler tube, that was inserted through a rubber grommet, and replacing it with a much longer filler pipe. The short pipe would pull out on impact and all the gas would flow quickly out of the tank. The longer tube prevented much of that leakage. Wish I could find the cartoon of a Pinto with Firestone 500 radial tires, that had slipped out of park, rolled backwards into a tree where the fuel tank exploded on impact.