Engine bay restoring ?

They are both the same color which is black but there is a difference in the finish even though it sounds the same...

The Firewall is a Semi-Flat Black and the pulley's and brackets,hinge's are a Semi-Gloss black....I believe or at least that's the way I did all three of mine, but check to see what the other feedbacks are weather they agree or not.....Darren.

I will soon be in the same boat as you. I am trying to keep mine as original as possible but the more I think about it semi gloss to gloss on both sounds much nicer. I think it will look better for show.

Although I kept my 70 Monte strictly original, I painted the firewall, frame and rad support semi-gloss black since I find it is easier to keep clean. I painted the air cleaner, pulleys and brackets gloss black.

AaronD107.jpg

Guest Bren70

I'm in the middle of one now.I used Duplicolor primer & low gloss black engine paint on firewall,brackets,pwr str pump & pulleys.They turned out real good.I used plasticote primer & engine enamel on the engine.On the air cleaner I used a gloss black.Very happy with all the results.

Everything that's black under the hood is a semi-gloss/semi flat.....I like to mix it up a bit using Krylon and other high quality spray bombs and the Eastwood "under hood" black (sprayed through a spray gun). The thing to remember is that a lot of the parts were made by different distributors..they were all told to "paint it black" so there are many variations of the blacks under the hood.

The fire wall is also a semi-gloss black....Krylon works great because if you need to touch it up, it blends real nice.

For the air cleaner...I would certainly use the Eastwood under hood black....it has the best gloss/flat ratio for that job.

My 2 cents,

Steve

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have used Duplicolor paint and primer on everything. Low gloss on the firewall and radiator support because it just lays the best. And a different color of low gloss black that's suppose to be used for plastic on the radiator shroud and plastic inner fenders. I bead blasted the brackets,pulleys hood hinges and latch assembly put them in the oven for a bit and hung em up then primered and painted them semi gloss and WOW. They look brand new almost powder coated even. Since my car is black I wanted some sort of contrasting colors. I painted the steering box cast iron the steering shaft a gun metal gray and I think the hood latch assembly and hood hinges in silver just for something different. What do you guys think on the silver ? My headers will be back next week from being ceramic coated silver. I'm very happy with how its turned out so far just very time consuming cleaning and painting every freakin' bolt. I can't wait to start assembling the new motor smile And GO CRUISING !!!!

I'll take some pics when I start reassembling it. With all the pieces scattered across my garage it's not real pretty (so the wife tells me) She also wants me to get the hood off the family room floor LOL !!!

AHH thats too funny. I have the same thing going on in my garage and I have a trunk pan in the spare bedroom. grin

• 3 years later...

One of our club members put this together several years ago and I made a copy. Here it is, more than you asked for.

Under hood Detailing:

Frame and upper/lower control arms and upper shafts = semi-gloss black

Front coil springs = gloss black or natural (better detail contrast)

Firewall, inner fenders, radiator support = semi-gloss black

Radiator and fan = gloss black

Fan clutch = natural aluminum

Radiator shroud = natural black plastic or gloss black

Steering box = natural cast iron gray

Steering linkage = natural steel

Front sway bar = natural cast iron gray

Heater or AC housing = semigloss black

Hood hinges, latch, catch and springs = gray phosphate plated

Brackets and steel pulleys = semi-gloss or gloss black (gloss gives more detail contrast)

Cast iron pulleys = natural cast iron

Master cylinder = natural cast iron (some use gloss black)

Brake booster = gold cadmium plated (master cylinder lid also)

Windshield wiper motor = gloss black

Alternator = natural aluminum

Power steering pump = gloss black

AC compressor = semi-gloss black

Steering column shaft = natural steel

Horns = gloss black

Coil = gloss black

Voltage regulator = gloss black

Distributor = natural aluminum with gloss black cap

Fuel and brake lines = natural steel

Undercarriage Details:

Transmission = natural aluminum