Last of the winter projects complete,....I think

72MC

Well as soon as I get done typing the title I realize I still need the new paint from last year polished before the eastern meet.

Things completed this winter since the eastern meet 2009. First, changed manual exhaust cutouts to electric, replaced faulty line lock, refinished a mint condition dash pad(needed to change the color), and replaced 2 gauge buckets on pillar to a dual pillar gauge pod(2 5/8") from a mustang of all things.

The last thing completed was to convert my coveted & beloved horseshoe floor shifter to a B&M Hammer Shifter. The catch for me was to convert this so I could retain the stock appearance and be able to convert back to stock with relative ease. Since my tranny is a full manual 4L80, I grew tired of skipping 2nd gear in the heat of acceleration or during a run in the my limited drag racing experience. Nothing kills ET like skipping a gear, ha.

Converting my 72 El Camino from a column shifter to a floor shifter was a piece of cake. I used a B&M Light Truck Mega-Shifter and could use all the parts. The problem with the Monte was I wanted to keep the console and work around it. Well my decision was to make it look almost like a stick shift car. I was able to use the stock floor brackets with a little fabbed up bracket for the appropriate stance of the shifter. For the boot, I used scrap deer hyde pieces I had left over from my coat. I decided to keep the theme of the Burl Wood insert colors so the boot was dyed brown. I just finished up today and I think it came out pretty good. I do like the fact that I can now hit the shifter with some force and not have to worry about skipping gears.

Following are some pics of the progress. Hope you enjoy.

MonteCarlostockshifter.jpg

HammerShifterinstall.jpg

Twikingcont.jpg

BootDyeComplete.jpg

installcomplete7.jpg

It all looks real nice, but I can't seem to figure out the shift knob...from the photo it looks kinda like Darth Vaders' head? or the Rick Moranis figure from "spaceballs" [aka dark helmet]. {Spaceballs: the shift knob}.

My first thought was that it was a hula girl with a brown skirt...so what is it really?

installcomplete7.jpg

Maybe this is like one of those pictures where there is another option that I just can't see without a hint.

What do you see here, Dave?

optical_illusion_fun.jpg

Here ya go Mark, just to appease you wink.

bmm-80741_m.jpg

Its just a more modern/ergo style.

And thank you everyone for the compliments. Its appreciated. - Dave

Good job and it's unique... cool

I couldn't figure out the shift knob either from the photo until you posted the other picture...that's the same one I put on my 6 speed in my vette, very comfortable on the hand.

And Mark, as far as that picture it's a young girl with her face turned the other way... wink

Ok; I'll take your word for it.

Was it just me? Did anyone else have trouble with that particular photograph? (I still see a triangular shape there) Maybe I was just dazzled by the chrome reflection.

I like the way it turned out a lot. Now I have to get back to modifying my hula girl for an idea I have...wait 'till you see the reverse lockout. LOL

Yes Mark, Bill had the same difficulty. I think it is the shine from the reflection plus I have it turned at such an angle as to make it more comfortable to my hand position. The ends are at about a 10 and 4 oclock position. - Dave

Oh, geez....now I see it. [duh] I was thinking the grip was upright, like a pistol grip and I just couldn't get it visualized. LOL

You are too kind David. Fabrication is such a touchy thing. I think my ideas are always there, however, my tool supply is what is lacking in many instances. I am a tool nut and am very blessed that my collection is as big as it is but many times the big time tools are soooo out of financial reach, and quite honestly, are not justified for ownership. I just try and use what I have to accomplish the end result. Sometimes it gets tough. Thanks again. - Dave