Painting Rear Tail Panel, Proper Tape Line

Jared Richey

Ok we need to know how exactly to tape out the tailpanel for the 1971 SS.

0420001552.jpg

I'm thinking up to the body seem where the quarter panel is welded to the tail section on each side under the trunklid, right?

My 71 isn't an SS by any means, but I love the blacked out tailpanel and have to have it. I found a guy that machines the end trim pieces from stainless to exact copy of the original. Can't wait to see what it looks like on mine.

We also would like to know the proper line to paint the outside rocker panel and how far the line comes up on the inside of the door.

We also would like to know the proper line to paint the outside rocker panel and how far the line comes up on the inside of the door.

From what I remember from past board discussions, that seemed to vary by plant. My 70 was original paint when I got it and the black did not go all the way to the door sill trim. It stopped where the door jamb goes virtical before the trim. I know of others where it went all the way to the carpet.

I'll have to check my 72 to see where it stops.

Mine has been repainted, so I'm not sure how true to the original they kept it. My trunk ledge looks exactly like this:

064ve.jpg

...Except my black area does not extend all the way into the trunk; it stops somewhere under the weatherstrip.

As for the lower rocker trim mine has black all the way up to the egde where it intersects with the door sill plate. The black does not extend any further than that...it comes up to meet the door sill and goes no further. It was taped just above the peak of that bend. From there, it looks as if they simply taped straight and level both forward and rearward until the tape line is covered by moldings.

I didn't get a photo yet but I did take a peek at my original 72. The black comes up to a horizontal body seam in the door jamb. From the rear of the door jamb, it follows that seam along for 4 or 5 inches which turns virtical up to the sill plate. It is the same on the front part of the door jamb. I hope this makes sense. I'll try to get a pic posted tomorrow night.

Note on the top picture.

The Black paint hits the jamb and then goes vertical for a bit. This height is held and goes straight back to the rear wheel well and then inside the wheel lip.

Do you need this vertical distance?

img4308f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After reading other comments maybe this is not correct. I do not believe that this car was painted before I got it but can't be 100% on that. I just painted it exactly how it was.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Leo................

Vaughn

Mine isn't an SS but here is how my rockers were done.

Line in the front starts 2" back from where it drops down. There is a little hump

DSC01307.jpg

In the rear it is taped off at the weld where it is caulked

DSC01308.jpg

By the quarter it continues 1/2" above the rocker.

DSC01309.jpg

The front fender is even with the rocker

DSC01304.jpg

I was told by the original owner that the car was original. He was the second owner. His mother gave him the car. So far the car seems original. I hope this helps.

I took a picture of a 71 SS rear panel today. The car was repainted once but they used the original color and didn't repaint that area. There's a tape line at the edge of the trunk opening. They only repainted the outer body surfaces. The trunk opening area was left as original.

386913842.jpg

Dan