Dick Harrell 1970 Monte Carlo SS454

Think Tim would do some burnout shots for us?

It's all how you pose the question:

"Do you think you would mind.......oh, forget it, I'm sure it's too much trouble."

"What? Just ask me..."

"Well.....me and the fellas were wondering it you could do a couple of 6500 rpm tire melting smokey burnouts for us?"

He won't say "No". He'll say "Hell No". laugh

Very Nice. Does anyone remember what issue of Super Chevy the article is in. I may have it. I saved all my issues from the '80s and '90s

Very nice. Very rare 1 of 1 dealer installed LS6 Monte.

Many sources say they were 10 built by the factory, but who will really ever know, they could all have been destroyed, wrecked, or "hey this Monte has an LS6, I junk it for a 70 chevelle" years ago.

The LS-6 in the Dick Harrell 1970 Monte Carlo SS454 wasn't exactly "dealer installed", though, because Dick Harrell wasn't a dealer - but a drag racer, engineer, and builder. He had worked for Chevrolet supercar dealers Nickey and Yenko, however, and the car (which was completed at Mr. Harrell's shop, Dick Harrell Performance Center) is included in the elite "supercar" family.

Click on this link to read a great little bio about "Mr. Chevrolet", Dick Harrell. He was truly a super guy who built some super cars:

Link to "About Dick Harrell"

smile

Dave

I know an LS6 could not have been available in 1970. We have a long time racer here on Long Island that worked as a mechanic at a dealership and wanted exactly that a SS Monte with an LS6. He had worked in the industry for years and had some good connections. After repeated attempts he was told it cannot be done. So he ended up with something else.

After leaving the dealership he opened a performance tranny shop that is well respected in these parts. He is a big Pontiac racer with a lightweght (aluminum fendered from the day) 1/4 mile car that still impresses.

Monteman 71 just stopped by there on Saturday with his 71 SS. Not only were they in awe of his car but he repeated the monte story to Steve. To make things worse his brother had an SS454 Monte and upon his passing he was hoping to purchase it from his wife. But as all things go some family BS prevented it from ever happening and the car sat for years before he gave up. It is now gone and he has no clue when/where it went.

Sorry for the long story ........

I know an LS6 could not have been available in 1970. We have a long time racer here on Long Island that worked as a mechanic at a dealership and wanted exactly that a SS Monte with an LS6. He had worked in the industry for years and had some good connections. After repeated attempts he was told it cannot be done. So he ended up with something else.

After leaving the dealership he opened a performance tranny shop that is well respected in these parts. He is a big Pontiac racer with a lightweght (aluminum fendered from the day) 1/4 mile car that still impresses.

Monteman 71 just stopped by there on Saturday with his 71 SS. Not only were they in awe of his car but he repeated the monte story to Steve. To make things worse his brother had an SS454 Monte and upon his passing he was hoping to purchase it from his wife. But as all things go some family BS prevented it from ever happening and the car sat for years before he gave up. It is now gone and he has no clue when/where it went.

That's Vinny Alessi's car. Him and his brother owned Select Transmissions. They owned that Catalina lightweight that they raced. I think it was called "The Rat in the Cat". I met Vinny some 35 years ago when I bought some parts from him. I saw the Monte. That car is what made me get my original Monte. His Monte was for sale maybe like 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Dans '70 Z20

That's Vinny Alessi's car. Him and his brother owned Select Transmissions. They owned that Catalina lightweight that they raced. I think it was called "The Rat in the Cat". I met Vinny some 35 years ago when I bought some parts from him. I saw the Monte. That car is what made me get my original Monte. His Monte was for sale maybe like 10 years ago.

Yep. Select Performance is still in business in West Babylon. He built my T400 w/lower gear set and custom stall converter. My engine builder (also well known in these parts) James from JA Performance highly recommends him. I believe his brother is the one that designed a converter in early days for stall with a catchy name. When he mentioned it its was one I remembered from my youth. They still race the catalina and a couple other cars. Good people.

Every time he sees a Monte he wishes he got his hands on his brothers.

Dan

• 4 years later...

Thanks to each of our members who shared stories and photos about this special '70 Monte Carlo and its builder, Dick Harrell!  

I am amazed (and somewhat embarrassed) that this is the first time I've heard of it and its current owner, Tim Pestinger, especially since he lives in my hometown of Salina, KS.  My only consolation is that Tim is apparently about 10 years my junior and the business carrying his family name wasn't started until 20 years after I relocated from Salina to Kansas City.

At any rate, what I have just seen and read about this particular vehicle easily moves it to the top of my list of most admired and desirable first generation Montes.  It is probably as close to the mythical "factory LS6 Monte Carlo" as any vehicle can be.  I love the Shadow Gray/Black/Black color combo on a true factory SS base.  The Dick Harrell badging and 5-spoke matte wheels are a subtle reminders that this is not your typical SS (although the claim that it's because the trim rings were spun off sounds more like an urban legend than practical fact). 

I wonder what this particular Monte would bring at a Barrett Jackson auction?  I've got a couple of beloved '70s I would consider trading ,,,  :)