I broke my Monte

AL M

Hey guys, took her out for a cruise this evening and went to hammer down the parkway. Nothing crazy, just a blast on and off, 1 short run to my exit. As I pulled off I felt the idle drop a bit as I rolled to a stop sign. I also felt a lil spudder in the pedal. Then I heard this clanking...like a rod knock. It had great oil pressure and I was only 1/10th of a mile away from home so I just limped it home...Called Steve and he told me to take the valve covers off to look and see if anything was loose or off...it checked out good. Then I took off the flywheel cover and looked up at the converter bolts and flywheel..I noticed a slight graze on the flywheel and had my dad fire her up as I looked underneath...I thought I saw a slight wobble to it....Can a cracked flywheel sound like a rod knock? It sounds like metal balls rattling in a coffee can. Steves stopping by tomorrow to hear it. In the mean time tell me what you make of it...im done w/it for tonite...Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Loose bolts or a cracked flywheel will sound like a rod knock but it will be a little more tinny sounding. You can check the flywheel by taking out the converter bolts and push the converter away from the flywheel.With the converter not touching the flywheel take a hammer and tap the flywheel. If you get a nice chrisp ping the flywheel is good. If you get a thud sound it will have a crack

If it is a cracked flywheel will these previous periodic start ups hurt? I let it run to let more experienced ears here it today. Steve came over. We pulled the valve covers off again, all is good, inspected the flywheel and starter, again, all is good. even did a cyclinder check pulling each boot off the plugs, noise didnt go away. maybe the flywheel bolt is cracked directly under the bolt head Mike. Hope its just the flywheel. I always tend to think of the worse case senario........So, since I'm thinking.....do I go Little "M" and build a big ci small block or go BB...lololol...if I do it again, the main goal is to beat 12.0 and regain my thrown from Steve...lololololol!!!!! I may be coming to get ya Steve .....ONE MO TIME!!!!!

Al, first you have the man come out and give you his opinion and then you plot to overthrow his Kingship....I like it!

Good luck, hope it's nothing.

He's gonna be asking Steve his opinion anyway on what to do to beat him...Steve could just sandbag it and mislead him. I don't think Steve would do it though. He will give him the proper guidance and then plan his counter attack. Good Luck Al, hope it's not a major problem because there is always nitrous to meet the goal.

I love stirring the pot...I'll get at it during the week and let you guys know...and for the record..Steve is a god saint! He saves me and helps me out all the time. This noise is new to him as well so i welcome him chiming in at any time.....

Al.

long shot here, where is the noise coming from? i had valve springs break and sounds like knocks, what valve springs are you running? single, dual? i broke 4 inner springs and did not know it until 1 started to knock, then i took them all off and that's when i found the other broken springs. like i said maybe a long shot.

good luck

thanh

What I didnt mention in my last 2 posts was this....2 weeks ago I pulled over to check to see if my carb was leaking and when I took the aircleaner off I fumbled the lid and the wingnut and washer went flying...needless to say I found the wingnut but the washer dissappeared. I looked everywhere but I didnt find it. Of course I was smart enough to look down in the carb but didnt see anything. I drove the car 2 other times and it was fine, then last friday I got on it and thats when I heard the noise. I guess I didnt look hard enough. It got sucked into cylinder #7. I pulled the plug and the tip was flat like someone hit it w/ a hammer. I feel like an [censored]. The washer sat below the wingnut and was the size of a 1/4. I'm sure the cylinder wall looks like someone took a chisel to it. Who knows what kind of damage is down there....the motors coming out and off to my builder. lets see what he finds and I'll take it from there. Let the ribbing begin...lets bring it on and get it over and done with....dont worry i'm laughing at myself already now that the tears are gone..lol!! Wish me luck. Al

Good luck with it Al. Aluminum heads can be fixed and a cylinder can be sleeved. Sounds like you are not loosing water so it is nothing that can't be repaired. Crap happens lesson learned. I don't run an air cleaner at the strip I always remove the stud. I don't think it could get in a cylinder but it could hold the throttle open.