First Summit Race today w/Velle

CrazyDavey

Had our first Summit ET Series race today. Only went a couple of rounds but the Velle ran great.

Had a new 1/4 best..10.23 a new 1/8 best 6.48 and new 1/8 best MPH at 105.52..

weather was okay but a little hot at 80 degrees and the DA was 2800'..going back tomorrow for race 2, hoping to get an early morning run with some cooler air. The car was solid in the 10.20's all day, I changed fuel, maybe that helped....Davey

Why is it that we never hear about any of the struggle or failure? Most of us progress by using the method of "trial & error", but you seem to be completely skipping the "error" part.

You have a way of making it seem real easy. Geez, you get more MPH in the 1/8 than I do in the 1/4...and you've only got 34 more cubic inches than I do. We could compare city/highway mileage figures, but my numbers aren't too good in that arena either..

Anyway, it's good to hear things are working for 'ya. I'm still trying to figure out how you do it.

Great job Dave!! Man ya'll get started early out on the west coast for the Summit Series. We start in early March. Should have the car ready to go by then but I'll have to step up to the Pro cause the car will be to quick for sportsman. Should make me a better driver though.

Years ago I raced road bicycles and I trained with guys that were 10 years younger than me. Made me a much stronger rider and I was pretty competitive for about 8 yrs.

Good luck with the season I'm sure you will do well!!!

David

thanks everyone!! Well Mark there have been a few moments, two words...shift cable wink.....but to be honest it really has gone pretty good. No real secret, just try to do my homework, it has to pass the "this makes sense" rule and I don't flog it (that's why I set it up as a 6000 RPM car and make sure everything is strong).

Today went well, made it a couple rounds again in Super Pro, I guess it likes to run against electronics. Today was the first time every run was in the 10.20's so it really did pick up it's game with the new fuel.

Bettered my best 1/8 just a tick to 6.47, two 10.27's, a 10.28 and back to back 10.24's. All my 60's were 1.41's so it's hooking super consistent...

Here's a pic of the first 10.24 run today...

Summit_ET_11.jpg

wink

Why is it that we never hear about any of the struggle or failure? Most of us progress by using the method of "trial & error", but you seem to be completely skipping the "error" part.

You have a way of making it seem real easy. Geez, you get more MPH in the 1/8 than I do in the 1/4...and you've only got 34 more cubic inches than I do. We could compare city/highway mileage figures, but my numbers aren't too good in that arena either..

Anyway, it's good to hear things are working for 'ya. I'm still trying to figure out how you do it.

Getting old watching Davey never screw up, break, or blow up. grin

I head out Friday night with a brand new set of BFG Drag Radials, smoke the entire track, run an 11.40 and proceed to have the car shut off as soon as I get out the gas. So now I am coasting at 130 MPH with no power brakes. Coast the return road and play with no spark and fuel pressure for about a half an hour. I am so pissed I never took my helmet off. I bail and decide to walk back to the pits to grab the rollback. I hear at least a dozen times on the loudspeaker "Will the pit crew of car 8156 please go to the end of the return road, Andy needs you". I am my own pit crew. I know everyone out there so everyone with a passenger seat stops to offer a ride. I am so pissedd I just want to take the mile long walk alone. I finally get the car and get back to my spot. Spent an hour pulling the fusebox and looking to figute out a wire had pulled from the fuse box under the dash, not the Moroso control panel in the dash.

If it can break, I have broken it.

Davey, you are the stripper hot mother of five. Freak of nature laugh

let's not be talkin' about blowing stuff up...you guys are trying to curse me!! I don't know why, I can't explain it, it's just something I've always been good at. If I had to pin it on something I would says it's "keep it simple". I don't get caught up in fads or a bunch of tech gadgets, just simple old school stuff that's worked for decades (I would know about decades).

I think the biggest thing for me has been learning something about the GM 4 link suspension and how to make it work. It's a very good fundamental setup that can be worked with great success. I would say that about half the improvement in the car has come from learning how to get the most out of the suspension. It's not easy to get the wheels up on a '67 because of the 3" longer wheelbase compared to a '68-'72 Chevelle so I know it's working pretty good. You can have all the latest big horsepower things but if you can't get it to the ground effectively it doesn't do you any good....Davey