Upgrades over the years

Ian

I was going through some old pictures, and found this document I created a few years ago. It was my list of upgrades I wanted to make to the Monte with the costs. I am 2/3rds done smile I added suspension upgrades to the rearend part. I can't wait to get the transmission part done, but funds are real low right now so I think it will be waiting a little longer. I think it will be a 700R4 instead of the 200R4 as I have one on the floor of the garage already...

MonteStages.jpg

Ian, you are not married, are you. If you were you would know that the cumulative amount on any given car is $50. No more, no less. What you have up there is considered not only evidence, it is considered divorce papers,

Pretty cool you made a list like that and even cooler you managed to get 2/3 of it done... shifter

Back in 83 I made a list of all the parts I would buy for my car (I still have it) and would continue to add to it over the years as I bought more stuff. This was all hand written (before we had a computer). I kept every single receipt over the years but have kinda gotten away from that lately.

My spread sheet is not as detailed It list 1)What needs to be done 2)My wish list and 3)what's not Finished. I like the way yours is set up.

I have all the reciepts,andI did do a spread sheat on it,with the different vendors and who got how much of my money lol

It wasnt all that bad really considering all that went into it.

Its the 350 or 400 hours thats scary eek Lucky for me time is free

No...I have to kinda replace items as they get old or need upgrading. Really it's unfortunate how the stock parts seem to be "not good enough", but hey, we only want to do this once, right? Might as well get the good stuff.

If I had a printed-out wish list, it would prove the breakdowns were pre-meditated! That wouldn't help my case at all.

Good spreadsheet Ian. I maintain a book with every expense and work done over the 23 years I have owned the car. When I start a specific project, I also make lists to list out all of the things that have to be done.

It's crazy how the receipts add up. I've got several folders on the Monte. (1) Body, (2) drivetrain (3) Interior and (4) Misc. It gets crazy when I start to add it all up. Like I try to explain to the financial advisor, every sport costs money. I could golf, fish, fly, or drink and it would be more. Problem for me is, I bought that darn Camaro in 09 and started to pump money into it. Things would be great if I could find a buyer for the Camaro.

Ian, you are not married, are you. If you were you would know that the cumulative amount on any given car is $50. No more, no less. What you have up there is considered not only evidence, it is considered divorce papers,

Actually have been married for 19 years this year Andy smile That list is not all inclusive either lol It does not have the ignition upgrade I did a few months ago. It was more of a wish list a couple years ago, and Vince I am surprised I got as much of it done.

So what would kind of advice would you guys give to those like myself that are just getting started? I just had this conversation with a friend of mine and was wondering what you'd suggest?

I'm not sure how your car is currently equiped, or what your goals are for it, but here is my list for a solid begining:

Dual exhaust with free-flowing mufflers. Free-flowing doesn't have to be loud, but often is. If you like loud that's fine, but I run these and thay are easy to live with and the price is right. They sound healthy but aren't so loud you are afraid to start the car in the neighborhood after hours. LINKY

Electronic ignition. There is more to this than just getting rid of the nuisance of point-adjusting. It makes a vast improvement on how the car runs. You can go with a fancy aftermarket distributor, or a pertronix-type point eliminator kit, or even a good used Chevy HEI unit from a wrecking yard...they all do the same thing. The wrecking yard HEI probably needs an advance kit or recurve to reach its' potential though.

Probably next is suspension: make sure all your front-end bushings are in good shape and get a set of new shock absorbers. Front & rear sway bars make a huge improvement. You probably already have a front bar, but a rear bar helps a lot in the handling department...the problem is that you need boxed lower control arms to put in a rear sway bar. Your car will handle more like a Firebird instead of like a Cadillac. You can go another step and get new springs, but that can be done later, too.

Pretty much these steps will make the most of what you have. You may find it's not bad at all. Make it safe, make it sound, and go from there. All this stuff will help improve your mileage and make the car more fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto

Actually have been married for 19 years this year Andy smile That list is not all inclusive either lol It does not have the ignition upgrade I did a few months ago. It was more of a wish list a couple years ago, and Vince I am surprised I got as much of it done.

Ian, you have a year on me. grin It all started as a joke, the $50 thing until a few months ago she wanted to know why I have so many cars and her kitchen needs to be redone. I asked her how much her car payment was. No answer. I asked how much the mortage was. No answer.......

I have some receipts in a couple folders, a few stuffed in manuals in the garage, and lost some. I have no real desire to total them up. I would probably get depressed. Of course I did just find a couple Saturday while unpacking the garage from back around 87...

Man I think I'm going to have to do that. Great idea Ian grin

AND DUDE! Love that green!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: 71monteme
i don't even keep receipt anymore unless it has a warranty, it is too depressing.

thanh

Arsin- thanks

didn't mean to get everybody depress about the receipts frown

just meant that i know how much was spent on the monte and the camaro, i could have retired from the amount spent.

thanh

To make yourself feel better, start keeping the receipts of everything the wife spends on quick trips to the story, or the clearance rack or whatever. Pretty soon you realize, the car is pretty cheap.

or just go with the 50 bux..

Either way.. :-)

I use to be extremely tight with money until I started keeping track of what I actually spend.

After looking at dinner receipts, groceries, cell phone bills, utilities, house payments etc etc. The amount of money I spend on my cars is actually very small. I use to feel bad about spending it but I get too much enjoyment out of driving my cars.

It's depressing to think that all that money could be in the bank but it's hard to drive and enjoy a bank book.

I put all my reciepts in a box with no desire to add them up.

If and when she asks me how much i spent on a car i will tell her, Honey i dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont gamble, and i dont visit the b**by bars (even though i like too). When she needs me, she knows where i am. So dont break my chops. And i am sure that would put the question of how much did you spend on a car to rest for awhile.haha